Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 09:22 AM

13,495 posts, read 4,317,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo
Dumb move. This will ultimately backfire on republicans and ensure Dems keep power forever. You can believe that. Kids are liberal enough now as it is. Imagine what this ruling will do LOL. Get ready for a dictatorship. Republicans just pissed away all power in the future doing this. You just pissed away an entire generation of voters retards. Kids won’t forget this LOL
blah, blah, blah. Democrats will do like they always have done, make fake promises for votes especially to the young and dumb. By the way, pay your loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 09:29 AM

1,100 posts, read 433,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
In reading through these posts... I'm going to assume this decision has, ummmm, negatively affected some of you.
I knew I would be LOLing today on here, I haven't been disappointed thus far.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:31 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,052,162 times
Quote:
In reading through these posts... I'm going to assume this decision has, ummmm, negatively affected some of you.

Son owes about 30k in loans. 20k would have been waived and I would have paid the other 10k to pay off all of his loans. I was not expecting it to pass but it would have been nice if it had. The only thing that puzzling to me is I am sure their are conservatives on this very same forum who felt the exact same way as I do. It's not like liberals are the only ones who take out college loans.

17,693 posts, read 6,952,640 times
Quote:
I've been smiling for two straight days reading posts from the Marxist children online. It's been glorious.

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Interest paid to a bank is profit to the bank. Interest paid to the government is because today's dollars are worth less than the dollars borrowed.
Banks don't do student loans since the Obama Admin shifted student loans to the Fed Gov in 2010.

Quote:
"The student lending overhaul ends the current program that subsidizes banks and other financial institutions for issuing loans, instead allowing students to borrow directly from the federal government. Interest rates for some borrowers will also be lowered.

Now, instead of having banks use government money to loan tuition, the government will lend the funds directly. Starting July 1, all new federal student loans will be delivered and collected by private companies under performance-based contracts with the Department of Education, according to officials."
https://abcnews.go.com/WN/Politics/h...ry?id=10239569

Old 06-30-2023, 09:32 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Dumb move. This will ultimately backfire on republicans and ensure Dems keep power forever. You can believe that. Kids are liberal enough now as it is. Imagine what this ruling will do LOL. Get ready for a dictatorship. Republicans just pissed away all power in the future doing this. You just pissed away an entire generation of voters retards. Kids won’t forget this LOL
Have to agree.

But first, the Democrats could have made a much better effort to get this done if they really tried. The first two years of Biden's presidency, the Democrats controlled the Congress. Nancy Pelosi was not onboard for student loan forgiveness (the kids should really blame her) but Senators Chuck Schumer, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren were all for it with supposedly Joe Biden. Between the Senate and the President, they could have played hardball with Pelosi but they never really tried.

Instead, Biden decided to use student loan forgiveness as a campaign issue deliberately dragging it out for 2 years to the midterm elections.

Second, the Republicans. It always amazes me that the party which can spend a trillion dollars on defense each year without batting an eye, tax cuts for billionaires, huge bail outs for corporations and banks but not for farmers or homeowners, can go bat crazy whenever some money would be going toward the middle class.

Once again the Republicans blew the next election and just don't realize it yet.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:33 AM

17,693 posts, read 6,952,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Son owes about 30k in loans. 20k would have been waived and I would have paid the other 10k to pay off all of his loans. I was not expecting it to pass but it would have been nice if it had. The only thing that puzzling to me is I am sure their are conservatives on this very same forum who felt the exact same way as I do. It's not like liberals are the only ones who take out college loans.
But conservatives expect to pay their own loans back, not other people. Big difference.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:34 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,844,973 times
SCOTUS cited Nancy Pelosi in their ruling:

“People think that the President of the U.S. has the power for debt forgiveness, he does not. He can postpone. He can delay. But he does not have that power. That has to be an act of Congress”.

5,084 posts, read 1,673,038 times
Supreme Court is doping it right this week.

bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Department of Education vs Brown

Unanimous — No Standing

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...2-535_i3kn.pdf

2nd Case - Roberts reads, 6-3 decision

The court agrees with the states that the HEROES Act does not authorize the debt forgiveness plan.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...2-506_nmip.pdf

The vote is 6-3. Kagan dissents, joined by Sotomayor and Jackson.
Biden loves to ignore the constitution and just issue edicts. He knows Congress would not approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies