Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
LOL yeah pretty much!

I think most of the problem is people letting their pets go in Florida. This has been going on for years though. The damage is already done. The rest of the country shouldn't have to pay for what people in Florida do.
There was a cobra let loose in a major city not to long ago, fortunately it was found. Wasn’t Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 02:51 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
For those who don't want to watch the videos... basically the government wants to do "background checks" on new-to-the-us species in order to make sure they aren't disastrous to the local environment, farms, waterways, and the health of humans, animals and vegetation, etc. before allowing people to have them as pets or as part of hobbies.

Essentially, while it's not practically to do background checks on each individual fish and give them visas like we do to human foreigners, the bill is suggesting we disallow importing by species until that particular species is deemed safe.

Liberals want to allow everyone and everything into this country without check... I'm not surprised a bill like this would be proposed.
So we do not get more like this Northern Snakehead which is on it's way to destroying Lake Michigan

Old 02-05-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So we do not get more like this Northern Snakehead which is on it's way to destroying Lake Michigan
Isn’t there also a mussel that is invasive to the Great Lakes that can damage or change the ecosystem in the water? I don’t know if it was Michigan or Wisconsin

Old 02-05-2022, 03:02 PM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Laws are already in place for immigration... Immigrants can't legally come here without documentation. You might want to become more familiar with our laws if you're going to come live here.

I am well aware of our immigration laws and the problem is so are our elected BUT a certain party is ignoring them and putting the "Rights" of those that are willingly breaking our laws ahead of needy citizens. The very future of America is at risk and they flat out do not care.

The thing is the People that immigrate LEGALLY to America are following the laws to do so but the ones wading across the Rio Grande are breaking the laws and taking advantage of loopholes in the system.

This defies common sense and it is a real slap in the face to anyone that has immigrated Legally.

It is a joke that Congress cares more about protecting the environment by holding back animals from coming in but they do not care about the precious desert environment that hundreds of thousands of "migrants" are trampling over and trashing as they come?

It is all a sick joke.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:14 PM

7,913 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I’m all for banning all snakes, I’m for giving them their very own island.
My wife feels the same way about spiders! Once she told me she'd love to get a pet snake, I told her if she did then I'd get a pet spider and that ended the discussion real quick.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
My wife feels the same way about spiders! Once she told me she'd love to get a pet snake, I told her if she did then I'd get a pet spider and that ended the discussion real quick.
I don’t like spiders either, so I vote both snakes and spiders can share a island. Of course the spiders may become food for the snakes….

Old 02-05-2022, 03:43 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Stray cats are a huge problem for native wildlife. We need to ban cats too. Oh and dog bites...

Also, with very few exceptions, most tropical fish cannot survive in almost all of our waterways (they are called tropical fish for a reason). Outside of the extreme Southeast, the few fish that live through the flushing will die very soon as the water gets too cold for them. Same with tropical reptiles. In my state, Nevada, where you would think non-native reptiles would thrive, most can't. It takes very special adaptations to survive the dry heat and with the possible exception of leopard geckos (from the middle east) most imported (or captive bred) reptiles would die very quickly. Conversely, Fish and Game has made it illegal to won any native species. An interesting invasive species the entire lower half of the country has is mediterranean house geckos. They are small insect eating lizards that, in most cases, don't seem to compete with any native species. They found an unused niche and are mostly thought not to be any problem.
Every living thing needs very specific conditions to live. But some things survive and multiply. I'm thinking of some foreign water plant that made its way into Texas streams and lakes to the point of choking off all the fish.

And fire ants. How they got here is a mystery, came in on some ship, I guess.

I totally agree on the cat thing. In 70 odd years of always having a cat, we never let them outside. We could leave the door wide open and most of them would never set foot outside.

Today, I'm feeding 8 feral cats, trying to keep them in my yard. Hoping to catch the 4 kittens the just showed up one morning so we can get them fixed. The best I can do is keep them fed and happy in the yard so they don't go hunting for food. And they do sit and watch the birds eat the leftover cat food. I'm instructed that a feral colony will live for 3 years +/-.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:58 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Every living thing needs very specific conditions to live. But some things survive and multiply. I'm thinking of some foreign water plant that made its way into Texas streams and lakes to the point of choking off all the fish.

And fire ants. How they got here is a mystery, came in on some ship, I guess.

I totally agree on the cat thing. In 70 odd years of always having a cat, we never let them outside. We could leave the door wide open and most of them would never set foot outside.

Today, I'm feeding 8 feral cats, trying to keep them in my yard. Hoping to catch the 4 kittens the just showed up one morning so we can get them fixed. The best I can do is keep them fed and happy in the yard so they don't go hunting for food. And they do sit and watch the birds eat the leftover cat food. I'm instructed that a feral colony will live for 3 years +/-.

The problem is making a blanket law that no small animal may be kept as a pet. They need to take into consideration the actual danger each species poses to that particular environment should it get loose. They do that now to some extent but this bill seems to reverse things and makes them all illegal regardless of impact. This will not only destroy a large part of the pet trade but make so many people who enjoy non-dog/cat pets very unhappy. It will also effect small children who's lives are enriched often when they get introduced to nature through either caring for a pet or experiencing someone else's pet. How would a child even think to become a biologist without ever even seeing an animal? I'm all for responsible management of our environment but this is ridiculous. This government sure doesn't bother itself worrying about peoples happiness.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:35 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Isn’t there also a mussel that is invasive to the Great Lakes that can damage or change the ecosystem in the water? I don’t know if it was Michigan or Wisconsin
Zebra Mussel. They hitched a ride from overseas in the ballast tanks of ships.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:38 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Zebra Mussel. They hitched a ride from overseas in the ballast tanks of ships.

I don't know anyone who keeps zebra mussels as a pet. But even if they did, and got tired of them and threw them in the lake, GO AFTER THEM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies