Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 08:44 AM

927 posts, read 588,228 times

Advertisements

I can't share my thoughts as most people take it out of context not reading beyond a tweet's length if I have a deep view of something that requires actual explanation and different parts. Hell this may be too long actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 08:49 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,148,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
I can't share my thoughts as most people take it out of context not reading beyond a tweet's length if I have a deep view of something that requires actual explanation and different parts. Hell this may be too long actually.
I agree! E mail was my happy place, but no one wants to read or send them anymore. Just texting, like “where r u?”

And people who claim to like to read are just listening to audio books, which isn’t reading. It’s listening.

Articles in newspapers and magazines have gotten shorter.

Several years ago there was a Controversial Books meetup group. People weren’t reading the books, so it morphed into a controversial articles group where a short article or two was emailed to people. Even that got to be too much. So then it changed into just watching Ted talks.

It’s sad.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times
Almost everyone I know reads books and magazines. The most popular podcast in the world is 2-3 hours long. Plenty of people are absorbing long-form communication.

So your statistic surprised me. Where is the data that "most people" don't read beyond a tweet? Do you mean more than 50% of the world's population or are you just considering U.S.?

Or are you just "feeling" this without documenting evidence?

Old 02-04-2022, 09:19 AM

19,858 posts, read 12,134,069 times
They are the same with thread and news articles. Many news organizations realize this and structure the titles to be misleading. Sometimes the accurate information is buried at the bottom of the article.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:12 AM

10 posts, read 5,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I agree! E mail was my happy place, but no one wants to read or send them anymore. Just texting, like “where r u?”

And people who claim to like to read are just listening to audio books, which isn’t reading. It’s listening.

Several years ago there was a Controversial Books meetup group. People weren’t reading the books, so it morphed into a controversial articles group where a short article or two was emailed to people. Even that got to be too much. So then it changed into just watching Ted talks.

It’s sad.
I mean we don’t need to prove that we can read. I like to listen to stuff while I work. Like a podcast, YouTube video or audiobook. Great way to catch up on a story while getting things done. We’re a more fast paced society so efficiency is key.

That’s the world we had to adapt to.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:

It’s sad.
Wow! That's pretty.............lame. Predictive Programming at its best?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They are the same with thread and news articles. Many news organizations realize this and structure the titles to be misleading. Sometimes the accurate information is buried at the bottom of the article.
I've notice that trend too especially on Breitbart/Red State Media,etc I always wondered if maybe it was cause I was in a brain fog and failed to realize something or missed something somehow! Nintendo news is especially this way this and last year it's all rumors and leaks from some twitter Insider that supposedly has correct info. Often videos will contradict each other the same day.

'NINTENDO SWITCH HUGE UPDATE! NEW GAMES LEAKED!!! BOTW2 INFO AND MORE!!!' and the info is 'Where' not sure when BOTW2 is coming out but stay tuned' and then later that day 'BAD NEWS FOR NINTENDO SWITCH OWNERS!!!'
\

Ever since Iwata and Reggie left Nintendo has been in a massive funk like they are in a massive brain fog they can't navigate out of. Hell President Biden has a better mental capacity then Nintendo has had recently and that's saying a lot!

Old 02-05-2022, 08:20 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,314,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
frankly, most of what you start threads about is nonsensical.

It's about "Deep thoughts with Jack Handy" level, if you're old enough to know the reference.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:

It’s sad.
I deleted my accounts at Nintendo gaming forums because nobody reads my ideas anymore and it's just usual 'fluff' questions if that. I got called for trolling due to going beyond one paragraph nobody reads it and it's just a 'big wall of text' to them. How can you say a game idea if you cannot go beyond a tweet? You cannot have an entire idea for a game in one twitter setting!

Old 02-05-2022, 08:24 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,792,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Almost everyone I know reads books and magazines. The most popular podcast in the world is 2-3 hours long. Plenty of people are absorbing long-form communication.

So your statistic surprised me. Where is the data that "most people" don't read beyond a tweet? Do you mean more than 50% of the world's population or are you just considering U.S.?

Or are you just "feeling" this without documenting evidence?
Yeah, podcasts are audio books are really popular.

So, I disagree with the OP that longer form media that makes time for nuance is dead. I agree that some media nowadays is too black and white; they want to compress complicated issues into a paragraph. Some people love that stuff though, which is why the Politics forum on here has become trash lately. Half the threads link to articles which are completely bogus.

That’s a different discussion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies