Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 04:43 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,207,283 times

Advertisements

"What happens if we just "get rid" of the Federal Government?" ??? rumpy will claim it is a lib plot to steal his reinstatement !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 04:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Based on my thread "Is America too Broken to Fix?" with the overwhelming response being "yes," maybe it's time to dissolve the union.

That's like saying the since the Titanic has a huge hole in one side, maybe we should rip all the steel plates off the other side too.

Great idea.
So your alternative is to continue shoveling money into the bottomless pit that is our federal government?

The feds can't even issue green cards within a reasonable time frame, a document that is critical for permanent residents to travel in and out of the country. And this is a task that entails reviewing some documents, punching some information into a computer and hitting "print" then mailing it out. They need to be downsized into irrelevance since they can't be fixed.

Old 12-31-2021, 04:45 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
So your alternative is to continue shoveling money into the bottomless pit that is our federal government?
BZZZTT, wrong.

But thanks for playing.....

Old 12-31-2021, 05:22 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Per thread title - we do cartwheels up and down the street in celebration?

Old 12-31-2021, 05:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Then pigs will suddenly fly.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:35 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
BZZZTT, wrong.

But thanks for playing.....

Name ONE thing the federal government does right that is a net value add to society at a cost that isn't exorbitant.

.....I've got nothing.

Last edited by albert648; 12-31-2021 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-31-2021, 05:44 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Perhaps we could reinstitute a small and very limited federal arrangement for mutual defense (someone needs to control the nukes).
We could still implement free transit between states, non-tarriff and foreign trade agreements.
LOL. That's what it's supposed to be. Pretty much exactly that.

We don't need to get rid of the federal government. We just need to elect people who will start us down the path toward returning it to what it's supposed to be.

The processes to accomplish either getting rid of fedgov or reforming it are vastly different, and I strongly believe that you'd prefer the one associated with the latter.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:25 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Riddle me this. The federal government took money out of paychecks for all DH working life. He worked 60 years paying all that was required.

He had some work mates who were really good at arithmetic and actuary type stuff. If Dh had all the money plus the share his employer had to kick in and had invested it his ownself, it would be throwing off a lot more than our combined SS checks and what we paid into medicare, and what we have used. His employer pays our healthcare for life.

Where do I get my money in this bitter divorce you seek? IMO, the property settlement will be a *****. We might as well figure out how to get along with each other.

Old 12-31-2021, 06:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just follow the constitution.
Feds take care of border, military, foreign THREATS. Period.
Everything else is up to the states and local government.
What’s good for NYC may not be good for Bozeman Montana.
And vice versa.
What a novel idea!!!! We can’t allow the people to have too much freedom.

And who gives a crap about the constitution?

Old 12-31-2021, 06:39 PM

2,043 posts, read 855,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Riddle me this. The federal government took money out of paychecks for all DH working life. He worked 60 years paying all that was required.

He had some work mates who were really good at arithmetic and actuary type stuff. If Dh had all the money plus the share his employer had to kick in and had invested it his ownself, it would be throwing off a lot more than our combined SS checks and what we paid into medicare, and what we have used. His employer pays our healthcare for life.

Where do I get my money in this bitter divorce you seek? IMO, the property settlement will be a *****. We might as well figure out how to get along with each other.
I agree with you but ultimately in the end the government is going to go bankrupt anyhow. I doubt many of us past the baby boomers are going to see even things like Social Security guarantees. The government is purposely going on one last massive spending spree before we all sing into the abyss. No different than if you know you’re going bankrupt and probably gonna die so you decide to just max out your credit cards etc and go out spending it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies