Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 PM

727 posts, read 307,466 times

Advertisements

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/why-a...so-ungrateful/

That’s a question raised and discussed by Francis Menton in an article on his Manhattan Contrarian blog (“Why Are They All So Angry“), here’s an excerpt:

It’s the defining characteristic of today’s progressive left: Anger. And it’s not just the rioters like Antifa, or the unspeakably rude people who confront administration figures in restaurants and gratuitously yell at them. Take a look at any of the new icons of the Democratic Party when they are speaking — for example Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, or Ilhan Omar — and you see them seething with barely controllable anger, if not outright fury. Same with essentially every left-wing commenter on CNN or MSNBC.

And I’m just getting to the Democratic presidential candidates. Bernie Sanders. Is there anybody angrier? Always, and about everything. For that matter, all the contenders who have broken out of the less-than-1% category are putting on a show of trying to out-angry all the others. Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, Kamala Harris. Anger must be what sells these days to the categories of voters they are pursuing.

My observation is that, at least for those of the progressive mindset, the less they have to be angry about, the angrier they become. You can’t look at the economic history of the United States over the course of my lifetime without seeing tremendous improvements on essentially every measure. You would think that anyone alive today, and having the privilege of living in the United States, would be filled with amazement and gratefulness. And many are.

But not the progressive left. Over there, they somehow find an endless supply of smaller and smaller and less and less significant grievances to be furious about. The more privileged they are, the angrier they are. Take the student body of an Ivy League university. That’s about as privileged a group as you can find anywhere in the world. And yet those people are furious beyond belief. Somebody has more money than I do! I feel “unsafe”! My culture is being “appropriated”! The “corporations” are “ripping us off”! The distribution of income is less than perfectly fair and just!

MP: In addition to the anger problem discussed above, I think it’s fair to say that many of today’s progressive left also have “an entitlement problem and an ungratefulness problem” and all of these problems seem to be “spreading like a plague.”

This scholar was spot on!

Old 06-04-2021, 07:37 PM

30,142 posts, read 25,264,593 times
It's a positive feedback loop. The more you pay attention to their rage, the angrier and more embolden they become, which only encourages more "peaceful" protests and such. The answer is to not pay attention to them. Then they will become so enraged that their little minds will explode, and the madness will end, once and for all.

The left has some legitimate grievances, (income inequality, the behavior of some corporations, etc) but the way they go about shoving their views down the throats of Americans makes sane, rational people want to ignore their message. Delivery is important. If you can't express your views without physical violence, forming mobs and burning crap down, etc, nobody is going to take you or your ideas seriously.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:41 PM

53,610 posts, read 35,421,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's a positive feedback loop. The more you pay attention to their rage, the angrier and more embolden they become, which only encourages more "peaceful" protests and such. The answer is to not pay attention to them. Then they will become so enraged that their little minds will explode, and the madness will end, once and for all.
can't wait.
given the size of their brains it'd be expected to sound like a giant bowl of rice krispies.
tiny detonations ftw.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:52 PM

34,443 posts, read 18,848,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
can't wait.
given the size of their brains it'd be expected to sound like a giant bowl of rice krispies.
tiny detonations ftw.
They have brains?

Old 06-04-2021, 07:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 640,781 times
Honestly, at this point, I think both sides are angry but about different issues.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:57 PM

17,673 posts, read 9,432,554 times
Leftists are Emotional Basket cases.

Avoid them.

Old 06-04-2021, 07:58 PM

Not that I support him but do you remember the videos of people crying when Trump got elected?

Old 06-04-2021, 07:59 PM

26,501 posts, read 19,391,630 times
Most of them were brought up thinking they were the center of the universe and that society owes them something. The thought that they are just another bug on the windshield of life and that nobody owes them anything is enough to send them into a psychotic frenzy of rage and indignation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
can't wait.
tiny detonations ftw.
Tiny detonations.

Last edited by ChrisC; 06-04-2021 at 08:20 PM..

Old 06-04-2021, 08:03 PM

15,059 posts, read 6,245,594 times
SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
Honestly, at this point, I think both sides are angry but about different issues.
This..and doing nothing but talking past each other.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
SMH.

This..and doing nothing but talking past each other.
Not to point out it has escalated to violence, on both sides, not just words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.