Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 03:29 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Same as voting for Stacey Abrams for governor when I lived in Georgia. I don't vote for someone just because I think they'll win. I vote for someone based on what I think is best for me. This is why I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016.
But when you know that is not going to happen..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 04:08 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are kidding yourself .... you voted for Biden.
Embrace it, don’t run from it. That’s the beauty of the system we used to have ... vote your choice.

Biden voters voted for Crime, Open Borders and Riots/Burnings & Lootings.
They also voted for a Senile Old Man that is barely functional .... you got what you voted for.
Embrace it.
Nope none of that was on his platform. Perhaps you were reading it on Breitbart or some other lame news source catered to the ALt right?

They do love to put a spin on reality, I Mean the alternate reality.

I voted for a sensible , respectable leader. In which Trump certainly has NONE of. Praise the skies he IS done for.

On topic: I think crime would go down once the fanatical folks who propell these LIES take their dose of sensible reasoning. Til then us sound of mind will Endure the chatter from the Trumpanzies.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:43 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
NO. It was DeAnna Lorraine, a Trump supporter, who said that was what Dr. Fauci said. That was not true. Lorraine, who wanted Fauci fired, intentionally misstated what the Doctor said to make Fauci look bad.
LMAO. Just one of many articles, and Fauci also said it on video.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sta...emplate=ampart

https://www.google.com/amp/s/710wor....t-coronavirus/

Old 06-01-2021, 07:02 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
IF the Republicans do, WHY are they keeping it a secret?
It's not a secret to anyone. It's about willingness to follow through.

For example, cashless bail and letting even people with violent felonies and gun crimes right back out on the street to commit more felonies while awaiting trial. (I support cashless bail for lesser offenses.) Chicago has had dozens of KNOWN murders so far this year by guys out on bail for felonies.

Another is disbanding things like the gun crimes and gangs taskforces in cities like NYC.

A lot of that is SOLELY due to grandstanding by politicians, not because it's good science.

While Covid and the economy etc. have increased crime in many places, there are a number of major cities where the increase is vastly higher than others.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:13 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not a secret to anyone. It's about willingness to follow through.

For example, cashless bail and letting even people with violent felonies and gun crimes right back out on the street to commit more felonies while awaiting trial. (I support cashless bail for lesser offenses.) Chicago has had dozens of KNOWN murders so far this year by guys out on bail for felonies.

Another is disbanding things like the gun crimes and gangs taskforces in cities like NYC.

A lot of that is SOLELY due to grandstanding by politicians, not because it's good science.

While Covid and the economy etc. have increased crime in many places, there are a number of major cities where the increase is vastly higher than others.
Prison and bail reform were bipartisan but they went to far on bail reform in some areas. But the problems we are having began last year for many reasons, Covid-19, riots and a reluctance of some police officers to address crime for obvious reasons. The increase in crime will hopefully be reduced as we get back to normal, this is not a partisan issue, neither party has a clear solution.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
When Trump campaigned for POTUS he stated at the debate he could fix the crime problem in Chicago in a week. It seems none of the politicos do enough to fix crime or don't want to.

The Dem voters don't care if the criminals take the streets back as long as they get free handouts. If all the violent protests in Portland and other cities didn't get the voters out to vote or mail in a GOP vote down the line, nothing will. I say let the Dem voters live with the crime along with the invasion of illegals, they voted for it. I'll stay in.
Trump ran in 2016 and didn't stop crime in 2017. In fact Chicago's shootings got worse. Now yes, Chicago isn't controlled by Trump but it's mayor and governor. The fact is Trump nor any president can. Or if they offer a method, it is nothing you conservatives want.

That said some crime is due to the after effects of being locked up and political stance. I mean most of the mask wearing on airlines issues is a mix of politics and being locked up.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Same as voting for Stacey Abrams for governor when I lived in Georgia. I don't vote for someone just because I think they'll win. I vote for someone based on what I think is best for me. This is why I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016.
I vote that way typically but couldn't get behind Johnson who wanted the Fair Tax. Now if Weld was the Libertarian Party President, I would have voted Lib in 2016. Instead I simply voted against Trump... mind you, I did vote Romney and McCain previously in 2012 and 2008 respectfully.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:44 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I vote that way typically but couldn't get behind Johnson who wanted the Fair Tax. Now if Weld was the Libertarian Party President, I would have voted Lib in 2016. Instead I simply voted against Trump... mind you, I did vote Romney and McCain previously in 2012 and 2008 respectfully.
I can respect that. My whole point is that there are cases where neither of the regular candidates are any good. I couldn't get behind Clinton or Biden. 3rd party candidates for me in 2016 and 2020. Johnson or Weld I would have been happy to have as the President of the USA.

I find myself drifting towards libertarian-lite. I say "lite" because not everything I'm about falls lock in step with libertarian politics.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 6,740,737 times
Quote:
I find myself drifting towards libertarian-lite. I say "lite" because not everything I'm about falls lock in step with libertarian politics.
I've found the same, but rather than vote for 3rd parties that never win, I've found Dem Presidents + GOP Congress get you the gridlock that prevents excessive government expansion. If Biden continues to ignore the crime issue, he'll get us that combination after the '22 elections.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:58 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I've found the same, but rather than vote for 3rd parties that never win, I've found Dem Presidents + GOP Congress get you the gridlock that prevents excessive government expansion. If Biden continues to ignore the crime issue, he'll get us that combination after the '22 elections.
I was hoping that if a 3rd party got enough votes, the other two parties would have to regroup, and think about their own strategies.

As for crime, I don't expect any President to really get on that issue. I don't see it happening without alot of people's rights being violated. I also think about the 1980s when Reagan was President. Crime rates were off the charts in those days. Republicans had a slim majority during 1981-1993.

In fact, between 1971-1995, the murder rate in America only dropped below 8 murders per 100,000 one time, in 1984, and barely (7.9 per 100,000). Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr, and Clinton presided over America during some violent days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies