Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 12:09 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,458,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
So you are saying that those who are Democrats aren’t smart enough to figure out how to get a ID, or call the county courthouse where they were born to ask for one? You know that those at the dmv/and courthouse will help them? The local social services will help them too!
Not everyone without an ID is a Democrat. Stop the hate. If there is no paper trail - there is no document.

EVERY STATE is different. Again - MANY people have been born without birth certificates.

In some instances - it’s required to have a newspaper announcement of the birth. Some instances it requires the affidavit of both parents - who may be dead. Naturalization paperwork may not have been filled out by parents

Trust me - Republicans aren’t smart enough either to figure out the maze and hoops that need to be jumped through to get an official birth certificate.

I worked in Utah. Many many people were born at home.... and have no documentation of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 12:14 PM
mlb

Many counties did not have notification of at home births. So how are they going to produce a document of a birth they have no knowledge of?

Many of these were in the South.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:16 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Not everyone without an ID is a Democrat. Stop the hate. If there is no paper trail - there is no document.

EVERY STATE is different. Again - MANY people have been born without birth certificates.

In some instances - it’s required to have a newspaper announcement of the birth. Some instances it requires the affidavit of both parents - who may be dead. Naturalization paperwork may not have been filled out by parents

Trust me - Republicans aren’t smart enough either to figure out the maze and hoops that need to be jumped through to get an official birth certificate.

I worked in Utah. Many many people were born at home.... and have no documentation of it.
Utah has one of the most lenient Voter ID laws on the books.

mlb

I had to pay $400 - and go to court - to legally change my name.... so that I could get a Passport.

Why? Because the (first) name on my birth certificate is the same as a second cousins. I have gone by another first name - forever. I have NEVER been known as the name on my birth certificate.

Utah required that the name on the birth certificate match that on the passport - and the driver’s license.

$400 is a lot of money to some people.

5,591 posts, read 2,318,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Or maybe because a lot of college kids were from out of state, my daughter went to college in another state, but did vote absentee ballot. Goodness, if those in college can’t figure out how to get a ID, our school system is worse then I thought.
What's wrong with College ID for voting? I thought you want ID. Why outlaw college ID? You know the answer: It's to reduce the number of college students which vote because they lean D. Perhaps 92% of college students still vote another way. The GOP will have succeeded of they reduced college votes by 8%.

Florida's GOP also got rid of early voting sites on-campus at colleges. Again, the intent is to reduced the number of college students which cast ballots. Every barrier placed can make voting less convenient and will reduce some votes. The GOP knows this and their intent is to reduce Dem votes.

Below is where the GOP tried to remove on campus voting locations. Texas did the same thing.Why not drive 10 miles away to vote, they say. Again,every barrier they place reduces votes. Lots of college students don't have cars. Voting on campus is easier than taking an uber and paying for it. Or trying to get a friend to drive you to vote when your schedules are different.

Wisconsin has put extra restrictions only on college IDs. We all know why. Reduce the # of Dem votes and then play dumb about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/24/u...ppression.html

Florida’s Republican secretary of state outlawed early-voting sites at state universities in 2014, only to see 60,000 voters cast on-campus ballots in 2018 after a federal court overturned the ban. This year, the State Legislature effectively reinstated it, slipping a clause into a new elections law that requires all early-voting sites to offer “sufficient non-permitted parking” — an amenity in short supply on densely packed campuses.

Wisconsin Republicans also have imposed tough restrictions on using student IDs for voting purposes. The state requires poll workers to check signatures only on student IDs, although some schools issuing modern IDs that serve as debit cards and dorm room keys have removed signatures, which they consider a security risk.
The law also requires that IDs used for voting expire within two years, while most college ID cards have four-year expiration dates. And even students with acceptable IDs must show proof of enrollment before being allowed to vote.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:17 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Utah has one of the most lenient Voter ID laws on the books.
But if you are applying for a Passport - you’re applying to the Federal Government. Not the state.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:23 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,767 times
Quote:
But if you are applying for a Passport - you’re applying to the Federal Government. Not the state.
I agree. Glad we're on the same page.

The topic of the thread is Voter ID. Why did you bring up your passport issue? It's not an appropriate analogy.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:23 PM
mlb

Also - Utah required that my name on my birth certificate be the same on my driver’s license. Which meant I had to pay to have my name changed - by going to court and paying $400.

Utah is not lenient.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:24 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,928,306 times
Quote:

I’m sorry I just find it hard to believe that even over 60 years ago people couldn’t obtain a birth certificate. In the south in the early 20’ s my parents were born at home and still had a birth certificate. If they didn’t have documentation that is the parents fault.. how did they get into school, jobs, places to live? Food stamps? Government housing?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:25 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I agree. Glad we're on the same page.

The topic of the thread is Voter ID. Why did you bring up your passport issue? It's not an appropriate analogy.
People use the passport as ID to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies