Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 08:04 AM

1,301 posts, read 673,970 times

Advertisements

The reason why many young blacks talk really loud is because so many of them have suffered hearing loss from playing their music too loud (with high bass) which is known to damage hearing over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 08:17 AM

20,008 posts, read 12,530,284 times
Impressive police response.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:19 AM

6,842 posts, read 2,892,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depending upon how bad it was and how much I could avoid it would impact my reaction.

If I'm in an apartment building and this woman is screaming a blue streak for 20 minutes and I'm trying to take a nap...I'd say something, but otherwise I'd probably just leave it be and maybe record it for laughs on youtube.

Depends on my mood. I might have fun with it and start chiming in by yelling stuff like "Yeah, you tell them!" and "Oh snap!" like I'm cheering them on. In a meaner mood I might yell something like, "You can yell all you want but they're not going to refund your money on those obviously bogus diet pills".

You are a bad influence. I like that about you. I'll be borrowing that on occasion.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:26 AM

6,146 posts, read 2,352,467 times
The neighbor that made the complaint, was she inside her home or sitting on the porch? How loud was the conversation? Did anyone measure the volume or capture it on video to determine how loud she was?

If she was talking at the volume of the linked video then I don't know how you could hear her talking unless you were literally sitting on your porch outside. The properties are not very large with only about 8-10 feet to the sidewalk. If that is the case then I hate to see what a lawn mower would do to the Neighbor's sanity.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:28 AM

27,955 posts, read 16,501,154 times
One of Frederick Douglss last words (supposedly) : Agitate
It comes naturally? (I didnt click link, just educated assumption)

Old 05-31-2021, 08:37 AM

6,667 posts, read 2,898,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
From the OP link, my bold and italics:

"The woman, who called the police, had just moved to the neighborhood within a couple of weeks ago and is white. Robinson said she was targeted because she is Black."
[end quote]

Honestly, people, if you don't like the culture of a community, then please do EVERYONE a favor and don't move into it!!
Other than the opinion of the woman who got the ticket can you point out where there is any indication that race played a part in this?

Here is a link to an article that had the entire Facebook Live Video.
https://blavity.com/black-woman-in-m...category1=news

This woman seems to have one huge chip on her shoulder.

Sadly though as she stated in her video a few times she is thinking of getting money out of this. So she will probably milk this for all it's worth and end up with not only having her ticket paid for(give it a couple of weeks for a crowd-funding page to pop-up) but probably find some "Civil Rights" Attorney to get the city to pay her off with 10's of thousands of dollars.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:19 AM

20,452 posts, read 9,903,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Other than the opinion of the woman who got the ticket can you point out where there is any indication that race played a part in this?

Here is a link to an article that had the entire Facebook Live Video.
https://blavity.com/black-woman-in-m...category1=news

This woman seems to have one huge chip on her shoulder.

Sadly though as she stated in her video a few times she is thinking of getting money out of this. So she will probably milk this for all it's worth and end up with not only having her ticket paid for(give it a couple of weeks for a crowd-funding page to pop-up) but probably find some "Civil Rights" Attorney to get the city to pay her off with 10's of thousands of dollars.
No, I do not know, of course, whether it did or not.

P.S. On Edit: Well, I am now listening to it -- I'm not about ten minutes into it -- as I am typing it, and she seems very reasonable (and respectful to the police office) to me and not at all obnoxious or out of line. I honestly think in her place, I would be angry, too. (She, OTOH, seemed very calm.)

And, btw, how in heck did the police officers know whether she was talking loudly or not UNLESS the woman also recorded her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'll wait for some of our black posters here to come let you know how they'd handle some lady walking around in front of their place screaming on their phone and how that's not "community culture".

You pull that crap in front of my old friends building (semi-rough black neighborhood in Chicago), you're likely to get an earful from the residents to take it somewhere else regardless of race with a possible projectile or two added if you kept it up.
Sorry, it seems that I made some assumptions, which I should NOT have made. My only excuse is that I guess I have been reading too many articles about whites who did move into black or Latino neighborhoods and then expected those who have lived there for years to change for the newcomers.

Again, my apologies!

Last edited by katharsis; 05-31-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-31-2021, 09:21 AM

727 posts, read 308,594 times
When Police respond to a noise disturbance, typically they speak with the complainant first, then the other party.

In my opinion, the Officer went to speak to other person and she was confrontational and was issued the summons.

On the flip side, in some states, the complainant can go to the Police Department and issue a summons themselves and appear in court to testify.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:56 AM

20,008 posts, read 12,530,284 times
The way she expressed it, she thinks the block belongs to her and she can do whatever she wants.

She even said the woman asked her to keep it down and her response was "Get out of my face".

I see an entitled queen attitude right there - I'll do what I want, dont' dis me. She seemed to feel threatened by the woman even saying anything to her.

This same attitude is why so many young black people end up shot by police and by each other. You gotta compromise a little to live in a civilized society.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:00 AM

16,442 posts, read 7,138,679 times
Response: Opinion
Public Nuisance is defined as obnoxious person.

Common Community Courtesy Lady......................

When the neighbor asked the woman on the phone to shut off her phone or talk lower why did she react by saying " Get out of my face? "

A simple courteous " I'm sorry.... was I too loud ? " would have been appropriate but Noooooooooooooo.........

Emotions decided to rule the day and cost her $385.00

Emotions continue to rule her day as she now is going out to purchase a security system .....for reasons that boggle the mind..

Can't wait to see how Emotional she becomes going before a judge to fight this ticket..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies