Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:09 PM

7,628 posts, read 6,159,303 times

Advertisements

https://www.aol.com/news/cheney-prim...195700172.html

This time, it is GOP primary candidate, Anthony Bouchard, who wants to run against Liz Cheney. Now I thought that the Republican party was the party of higher moral standards, at least they claim so, but seriously....what bothers me is his ho-hum response "Everyone's done this"

I can hardly keep a straight face when I sit here and type that I never did that, I never had sex with girls under 18 once I turned 18, then again, I had a moral compass, and a respect for the laws of consent
Oh Wait I'm a democrat

I find it sad that our nation cannot find better candidates, with a population of some 200 million Americans of age to run for office, and this is the best we can find? \\No wonder politics is such a disaster in this country.

It is a shame CATS cannot run for office.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-21-2021 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 09:20 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 29 days ago)

36,213 posts, read 18,471,606 times
This is concerning. At age 18, he got a 14 year old girl pregnant, and later married her, and she committed suicide at the age of 20 and he's estranged from the son they created.

What again are they complaining about Liz Cheney for?

Old 05-21-2021, 09:33 PM

21,006 posts, read 9,739,954 times
Stuff like that will probably increase his appeal to your typical modern GOPer.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:54 PM

20,147 posts, read 16,294,974 times
Frankly, after reading this I have nothing but respect for him.

Quote:
Bouchard said his family life "wasn't the best" growing up in Florida and he'd started living on his own when he was 15.

After he got the girl pregnant, he said "there was a lot of pressure" for her to get an abortion. "I wasn't going to do it and neither was she," Bouchard said.

"The only right thing to do was get married and take care of them," he said. The mother of the girl, whose name was withheld by the Star-Tribune, "signed the papers" consenting to the wedding and the pair "went down and got married before a judge," he said, which was "pretty scary actually when I was that young. But I've got to tell you I'd do it again. I'm not saying I'd make the same choices. By golly, we all make choices... We all deal with it," he said.

"My son got to experience things and live life. Sadly he's made some wrong choices in his life. He’s almost become my estranged son, some of the things that he’s got going on in his life I certainly don’t approve of them but I'm not going to abandon him. I still love him, just like when he was born," Bouchard said.

The marriage to the boy's mom lasted about three years, Bouchard told the Star-Tribune. He said in the Facebook video that he and his ex-wife became friends after the split, and the ex, who "had problems in another relationship" and a family history of suicide, died by suicide.
None of us live perfect lives and not everyone is given the benefit of a loving family on which you can build a firm foundation. Sometimes, especially as a young adult, you do things that aren’t the best of choices which have lifelong consequences and, at that point, all you can do is try to figure out what you need to do for the best outcome with the hand you’ve been dealt. It sounds like that’s what he has done.

Unless there is something more here, this is not a story to be outraged over. Try again.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:01 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,513,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I find it sad that our nation cannot find better candidates, with a population of some 200 million Americans of age to run for office, and this is the best we can find?
Wyoming's talent pool is half a million people, less than the population of Detroit, the city that hired an illiterate school superintendent.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:01 PM

20,147 posts, read 16,294,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is concerning. At age 18, he got a 14 year old girl pregnant, and later married her, and she committed suicide at the age of 20 and he's estranged from the son they created.

What again are they complaining about Liz Cheney for?
Reread it. He’s not estranged from him:
Quote:
"My son got to experience things and live life. Sadly he's made some wrong choices in his life. He’s almost become my estranged son, some of the things that he’s got going on in his life I certainly don’t approve of them but I'm not going to abandon him. I still love him, just like when he was born," Bouchard said.
Read the rest of it, the whole thing. You can dislike his politics all you want, but unless there is more to the story, this is not something to nail him to the wall for.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:13 PM

45,993 posts, read 27,644,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
https://www.aol.com/news/cheney-prim...195700172.html

This time, it is GOP primary candidate, Anthony Bouchard, who wants to run against Liz Cheney. Now I thought that the Republican party was the party of higher moral standards, at least they claim so, but seriously....what bothers me is his ho-hum response "Everyone's done this"
I don't get it... does that mean this expected behavior with Democrats?

Right now we are just trying to find people to serve who haven't sold themselves out to China or Russia or the global community in general.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 PM

38,736 posts, read 26,543,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Frankly, after reading this I have nothing but respect for him.

None of us live perfect lives and not everyone is given the benefit of a loving family on which you can build a firm foundation. Sometimes, especially as a young adult, you do things that aren’t the best of choices which have lifelong consequences and, at that point, all you can do is try to figure out what you need to do for the best outcome with the hand you’ve been dealt. It sounds like that’s what he has done.

Unless there is something more here, this is not a story to be outraged over. Try again.

I don't much care for the fact that at age 18 he didn't have better control of his impulses, but I did some really stupid **** at that age too.

The fact that he took responsibility for what he did as best as he was able, i.e., married the girl and tried to be a father to his son, is more than just a footnote in this story.

In any case, I hope they sort this out quickly so I can get a check to whoever runs against Cheney.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:42 PM

2,367 posts, read 920,344 times
Bouchard may have been protected under Florida's Romeo and Juliet Law. For this close-in-age exemption to apply, the perceived victim must be between 14 and 17 years of age. The offender must be no more than 4 years older.

Of course political enemies tried very hard to dig up dirt on Bouchard because of his challenge to Cheney.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:07 PM

16,248 posts, read 10,990,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What a fine candidate. Sounds like a solid Trump Trooper to me.
Admittedly, the bar is set quite low but this guy slithers under it.
Anyone with a moral compass is disqualified.
Cheney is clearly too normal to be in the party of Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies