Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 04:18 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times

Advertisements

I'll take the year in jail. A year is nothing. All the arguments were made already as to why I see so I won't add anything else.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:26 AM

6,095 posts, read 3,336,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
People who haven't seen it firsthand can't understand it. It's just not possible.

Decades ago I got a disorderly conduct. I was a kid who, if I knew anything about courts could have held out for a few hundred dollar fine. I ended up with 18 months probation.

To keep it short, with about 6 months left I asked my PO to revoke me so I could get locked up and get it over with. That also meant the 12 months already served would become a total waste and count for nothing.

Stop and think how bad a system has to be for a 21 year old to do that.
We are way too lenient on crime in our society. If you can’t act right, and it appears you couldn’t based on disorderly conduct, you should’ve been locked up for a few years until it was proven you could act correctly.

Anyway, it’s too bad you didn’t commit that crime today. You probably would’ve gotten released immediately so you could do it again.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It might be better to just not engage in crime.
Citizens have these rights for OUR OWN PROTECTION!

Would you rather the 'state' walk all over people that have been convicted of crimes, take away their rights, (threaten to throw them in cages), etc?

America was to be different, with a justice system that protected its citizens.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:55 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
We are way too lenient on crime in our society. If you can’t act right, and it appears you couldn’t based on disorderly conduct, you should’ve been locked up for a few years until it was proven you could act correctly.

Anyway, it’s too bad you didn’t commit that crime today. You probably would’ve gotten released immediately so you could do it again.
Lol so you know not one fact yet can conclude that a minimum two year prison sentence was necessary and just.

Where I'm from that charge is for things like being rowdy, fireworks, a scuffle or fight where neither side will rat, burnout on a motorcycle or big truck. So yeah, any of those types of things should be a prison sentence.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:05 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What brave words, they don't have plea bargaining in the UK.

As for pleading guilty to something I haven't done, it's not something I would even consider.

In terms of the UK there are two types of sentences for those convicted of the worst types of offences, the first is a whole life tariff which means you can never be released, as is usually applied to terrorists and serial killers, although new legislation will mean it also now applies to child killers.

The second type of sentence, is a life sentence, whereby the individual is given a number of years before they can apply for parole, however there is no guarantee that you will ever be released, and as a lifer then once released you must be supervised for the rest of your life and any deviation from the term of your release can result in you being returned to prison at any time to serve the remainder of your life sentence.

People who are on the UK Violence and Sex Offenders Register (ViSOR) much also be supervised by a multi agency team of professionals, and must observe strict guidelines, with more serious offences meaning lifetime supervision.

Other sentences include public protection sentences, where you will not be released until the authorities deem you no longer a threat to society and Her Majesty's Pleasure, which again is an indefinite sentence, and again you will only be released when the authorities are satisfied. You can also be detained under the Mental Health Act or are sentenced, and then serve time in a psychiatric hospital, which does not count towards their sentence. If their condition improves they can then be transferred to prison to serve their sentence.

These type of sentences are however usually only reserved for the most serious of crimes.
We're not in the UK, although I knew the OP might be from somewhere outside the US.

In the US the game is to drastically over charge people and then reduce it from there. It's common to be sentenced for charges that were not committed.

Imagine being innocent and having your own lawyer tell you to plead guilty or no contest to something even they know you didn't do. That's how it works here. Happens everyday. Guilt and innocence are not important, it's just that simple. A district attorney isn't going to get a nice offer from the big law firm without a nice looking kill ratio on that resume.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:41 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,158,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
For someone offered a deal of no jail but lifetime parole supervision for pleading guilty ,

or going to trial where their defense attorney predicts a possible outcome of 1 year of prison and no parole

Would you plea guilty or not?
Community Control means reporting to a parole officer on a regular basis, which includes blood/urine testing.

Dirty urine violates the terms of your parole, so you'd go do the 1 year anyway.

There's also restrictions. You'd need permission from the jurisdiction to leave the jurisdiction, and if you wanted to relocate to another State, you'd have to find a county that would accept the terms of parole and monitor you.

Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies