Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 03:08 PM

27,855 posts, read 14,057,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Have you ever been in that chair looking at a judge?

If not your brave words are meaningless.
What brave words, they don't have plea bargaining in the UK.

As for pleading guilty to something I haven't done, it's not something I would even consider.

In terms of the UK there are two types of sentences for those convicted of the worst types of offences, the first is a whole life tariff which means you can never be released, as is usually applied to terrorists and serial killers, although new legislation will mean it also now applies to child killers.

The second type of sentence, is a life sentence, whereby the individual is given a number of years before they can apply for parole, however there is no guarantee that you will ever be released, and as a lifer then once released you must be supervised for the rest of your life and any deviation from the term of your release can result in you being returned to prison at any time to serve the remainder of your life sentence.

People who are on the UK Violence and Sex Offenders Register (ViSOR) much also be supervised by a multi agency team of professionals, and must observe strict guidelines, with more serious offences meaning lifetime supervision.

Other sentences include public protection sentences, where you will not be released until the authorities deem you no longer a threat to society and Her Majesty's Pleasure, which again is an indefinite sentence, and again you will only be released when the authorities are satisfied. You can also be detained under the Mental Health Act or are sentenced, and then serve time in a psychiatric hospital, which does not count towards their sentence. If their condition improves they can then be transferred to prison to serve their sentence.

These type of sentences are however usually only reserved for the most serious of crimes.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-21-2021 at 03:29 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 03:14 PM

23,643 posts, read 14,338,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
For someone offered a deal of no jail but lifetime parole supervision for pleading guilty ,

or going to trial where their defense attorney predicts a possible outcome of 1 year of prison and no parole

Would you plea guilty or not?
Let me explain to you what parole or probation means. The government has given you a heck of a gift by not putting you in jail. You must repay the government by showing them you are the best citizen they have. If you don't, then the government is quite in its right to put you in jail.

With that kind of sword hanging over your head, could "you" live up to it?

Old 05-21-2021, 03:16 PM

25,094 posts, read 9,835,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I’d take the lifetime parole, but then again, I don’t engage in criminal activities so it would be a minor inconvenience compared to a year in jail.
That’s incorrect. Being on parole is a lot harder than you think. (I watched documentaries on it). You’re literally at risk of going back to jail at any moment.

Drug tests, alcohol tests, half way houses, curfew, no rights against search and seizure of your cell phone and belongings, checking in on your parole officer, micromanagement of who you can and can’t talk to, approval of what jobs you can get, prohibited from travel abroad or to other states, ankle monitoring. Oh and they control what you can do with the money you earned for yourself. Because hey, you’re a criminal who can’t be trusted with your own money. Many inmates intentionally break parole so they can go back to prison and finish their term, and be free for good.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:17 PM

26,572 posts, read 19,450,132 times
It might be better to just not engage in crime.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:23 PM

8,226 posts, read 12,995,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I would take the year in prison even if I was innocent. At least you'll be free after a year. With parole/probation you'll never really be free again.
I agree with you. Imagine a lifetime of having to check-in at the parole office. I'd rather do the one year.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:33 PM

27,855 posts, read 14,057,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
This guy for instance got lifetime supervision and he had no other incidents with the law and seems quite educated
In the UK for lesser violent or sexual sentences resulting in a prison sentence of less than two and a half years (30 months) it is possible to have your name removed from the Violent and Sex Offender Register (ViSOR) and to no longer be supervised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNBRIEF

If an individual has been sentenced to life imprisonment; for more than 30 months; or imprisonment and admission to hospital under a restriction order – they will be placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely.

If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for more than 6 months but less than 30 months – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 10 year.

If an individual has been sentenced to imprisonment for 6 months or less – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 7 years.

If an individual has been cautioned for an offence under the Sexual Offences Act – they will be placed on the sex offenders register for 2 years. If the offender was under 18, they will be placed on the register for 1 year.

What is the sex offenders register and when will it come into play? -iNBrief

Old 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,537,838 times
Take the prison. Parole for life means paying for drug tests, regularly meeting the po. And lots of laws and rules that only apply to you.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:02 PM

29,269 posts, read 22,658,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Where is this scenario coming from?

If one year is the worst possible outcome, as crazy as this may sound to some, cuff up and get on the bus.

Lifetime supervision means you are gonna end up on hold at least a few times and if you screw up they can still give you the sentence.

And if you ever get in trouble for anything else, guilty or not, the old case can kick back in. Probation and parole, while sometimes necessary, are two of the biggest scams this country has ever seen.
Yup.
With good behavior, a year's sentence can be finished in 9 months and a person is free forever.

A lifetime parole is like an exectioner's axe hanging over our head for as long as you live. Hanging on a very thin string.

This scenario is pretty crazy.
What's the sentence if the parolee violates probation?
If it's only a year, who would want a lifetime that's continually restricted and monitored randomly?
Even a year in a super max isolation unit wouldn't be that bad in comparison.

Parole is usually much harder to fulfill than a jail sentence. I watched a relative's son go through a parole swap. The random abuse in the parole system is astounding.

Parole isn't freedom. It's actually one short sentence of limited confinement after another for years.

The kid did it successfully, but he suffered through more abuse than if he had been sent to prison.
The only benefit he got was his record was purged off the books. But that only happened because he had to appeal to get it done.

He's non-violent. He never was.
And he's no longer an addict. His felony was a 3rd-time drug possession. Twice would have been a misdemeanor.
4-6 months of rehab would have worked as well and would have cost us all a lot less money.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,433,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup.
With good behavior, a year's sentence can be finished in 9 months and a person is free forever.

A lifetime parole is like an exectioner's axe hanging over our head for as long as you live. Hanging on a very thin string.

This scenario is pretty crazy.
What's the sentence if the parolee violates probation?
If it's only a year, who would want a lifetime that's continually restricted and monitored randomly?
Even a year in a super max isolation unit wouldn't be that bad in comparison.

Parole is usually much harder to fulfill than a jail sentence. I watched a relative's son go through a parole swap. The random abuse in the parole system is astounding.

Parole isn't freedom. It's actually one short sentence of limited confinement after another for years.

The kid did it successfully, but he suffered through more abuse than if he had been sent to prison.
The only benefit he got was his record was purged off the books. But that only happened because he had to appeal to get it done.

He's non-violent. He never was.
And he's no longer an addict. His felony was a 3rd-time drug possession. Twice would have been a misdemeanor.
4-6 months of rehab would have worked as well and would have cost us all a lot less money.
People who haven't seen it firsthand can't understand it. It's just not possible.

Decades ago I got a disorderly conduct. I was a kid who, if I knew anything about courts could have held out for a few hundred dollar fine. I ended up with 18 months probation.

To keep it short, with about 6 months left I asked my PO to revoke me so I could get locked up and get it over with. That also meant the 12 months already served would become a total waste and count for nothing.

Stop and think how bad a system has to be for a 21 year old to do that.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:57 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,046,875 times
I cannot imagine a crime with those two possible sentencing outcomes. A suspended sentence would not be a lifetime of probation supervision. Parole is for those who were released from incarceration in jail or prison. A one year jail sentence would typically not qualify as a prison sentence. If in a county jail there likely would be high turnover of inmates for minor offenses or people awaiting trial. Given the fantasy conditions: if the jail is relatively small I might choose that option betting that the cost of my custody, my special diet meals, full medical expenses, etc. would be a greater burden on the county budget then the weight of the crime and that my occupation of a scarce resource (a cell) would deprive them of using it for arrestees. That might lead to an early commutation of my jail term. If they then tried to impose a lifetime of parole supervision, I would sue the county up one side and down the other and win a hefty settlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies