Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 12:33 PM

33,106 posts, read 19,734,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Sadly I am hearing over and over again from BOTH sides of the aisle it is time to divide the USA into anywhere from 2 to as many as 9 or so separate regions. Some states would remain with their current borders others will be split due to strong clusters of political similarities that fit better with neighboring states (and subsequent "regions")

As an example Texas along the Rio Grande/Mexican is more instep politically with New Mexico than Texas (and neighboring states) as a whole, Eastern Washington fits better with Idaho than Western Washington (Seattle) etc

I find it really sad that we all can't just get along and people build up this Cult of Personality around whomever the president is at any given time. Like I always say I voted for Obama but never viewed him as a personal savior. I heard on Fox news once a Woman say she hopes Trump becomes a dictator, is this really what we have come to in this country?.

There are people who feel we should re-do the constitution not to give rights but to strip rights of either the LGBTQ community or the Evangelical communities, so for a Poops & giggles after joking with some friends lets do an Un-scientific experiment splitting the country into 8 regions.

For the record I truly hope this DOES NOT happen this is just for fun, be interesting to hear peoples perspectives, lets just keep it civil this is NOT meant to be taken seriously,

Ground rules: the National debt would be divided proportionally based on population, all regions are free to enter into their own treaties with other nations and regions, if one region wants to turn into a theocracy they are free to within their own borders , just like if another region wants to turn into Woke-Ville in their own borders they are free to do so, remember its 9 separate regions we are talking about, what region 1 says/does/rules has no bearing of say region 5--the "peaceful agreement) is everyone aggress not to invade each other and let others do their thing, separate militaries or regions can use other countries like Canada, UK etc for Military support--their regions their rules---if regions wants to erect walls in between they can, if 1 region has a natural disaster the other regions don't have to help--you get my point

Region 1--Northeast--Essentially All of New England, New York State (except the western Tip that borders PA) NJ, the eastern third of PA (Philadelphia area), Maryland (except the section that borders West Virginia) Eastern Virginia (except the thin south west section) Delaware, DC and little bright blue dot in the north east region of North Carolina

Region 2-old/new confederacy-- West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee, South Carolina, the rest of North Carolina, the Western "tips" on Maryland and Virginia mentioned above, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri Oklahoma, Kansas, the Texas Panhandle (the deepest red regions of the states in the upper north west) nothern Georgia up until Atlanta region, and Florida Panhandle

Region 3--FL/GA alliance--Georgia from Atlanta south, all Florida except Panhandle

Region 4--Great Lakes--the western 2/3 of Pennsylvania, the western tip of NY that borders PA, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota

Region 5--West Texas--the counties that have Dallas, Houston, Austin etc

Region 6--Sun belt--Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas RIo Grande Area, Nevada, Eastern California and San Diego region--

Region 7--Mountainwest--Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon

Region 8-Pacific Coast-- Seattle area of Washington, Portland area of Oregon, California coast until just north of San Diego and Hawaii

Region 9-Alaska
I don't understand region 3...as Southern GA (south or atlanta) SITS on the panhandle of florida

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2021 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Formatted quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 12:37 PM

16,717 posts, read 10,920,229 times
The main reason that we're even having discussions like this is simple: liberals won't leave conservatives alone.

Think about it. Liberals want to recognize multiple genders, so they demand that conservatives do too. Liberals want to tolerate BLM "mostly peaceful" protests, so they demand that conservatives do too. If a conservative says something that annoys a liberal, liberals want to cancel that person, to punish him and make him suffer. And so on and so on and so on.

Here's the thing: conservatives get annoyed at liberals every bit as much as the other way around, but we (conservatives) don't demand that they (liberals) change their views to conform to ours. If they want to recognize non-binary genders and announce their preferred pronouns, so be it. We don't try to make them acknowledge only two genders and force them to use the pronouns that have traditionally been associated with them. But liberals, the ones who prattle on about how tolerant they are, refuse to tolerate anyone having a different opinion than they do.

So, really, any talk about carving out new regions or a civil war or anything like that, is on the liberals. If they don't want to see the country dissolve, simply leave us alone and let us do our own thing. But if they keep poking and prodding and pushing us . . . well, we're going to reach a breaking point.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:38 PM

16,717 posts, read 10,920,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I don't understand region 3...as Southern GA (south or atlanta) SITS on the panhandle of florida
Maybe the OP means the panhandle west of Tallahassee.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:39 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,479,961 times
Quote:
Sadly I am hearing over and over again from BOTH sides of the aisle it is time to divide the USA into anywhere from 2 to as many as 9 or so separate regions. Some states would remain with their current borders others will be split due to strong clusters of political similarities that fit better with neighboring states (and subsequent "regions")

As an example Texas along the Rio Grande/Mexican is more instep politically with New Mexico than Texas (and neighboring states) as a whole, Eastern Washington fits better with Idaho than Western Washington (Seattle) etc

I find it really sad that we all can't just get along and people build up this Cult of Personality around whomever the president is at any given time. Like I always say I voted for Obama but never viewed him as a personal savior. I heard on Fox news once a Woman say she hopes Trump becomes a dictator, is this really what we have come to in this country?.

There are people who feel we should re-do the constitution not to give rights but to strip rights of either the LGBTQ community or the Evangelical communities, so for a Poops & giggles after joking with some friends lets do an Un-scientific experiment splitting the country into 8 regions.

For the record I truly hope this DOES NOT happen this is just for fun, be interesting to hear peoples perspectives, lets just keep it civil this is NOT meant to be taken seriously,

Ground rules: the National debt would be divided proportionally based on population, all regions are free to enter into their own treaties with other nations and regions, if one region wants to turn into a theocracy they are free to within their own borders , just like if another region wants to turn into Woke-Ville in their own borders they are free to do so, remember its 9 separate regions we are talking about, what region 1 says/does/rules has no bearing of say region 5--the "peaceful agreement) is everyone aggress not to invade each other and let others do their thing, separate militaries or regions can use other countries like Canada, UK etc for Military support--their regions their rules---if regions wants to erect walls in between they can, if 1 region has a natural disaster the other regions don't have to help--you get my point

Region 1--Northeast--Essentially All of New England, New York State (except the western Tip that borders PA) NJ, the eastern third of PA (Philadelphia area), Maryland (except the section that borders West Virginia) Eastern Virginia (except the thin south west section) Delaware, DC and little bright blue dot in the north east region of North Carolina

Region 2-old/new confederacy-- West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee, South Carolina, the rest of North Carolina, the Western "tips" on Maryland and Virginia mentioned above, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri Oklahoma, Kansas, the Texas Panhandle (the deepest red regions of the states in the upper north west) nothern Georgia up until Atlanta region, and Florida Panhandle

Region 3--FL/GA alliance--Georgia from Atlanta south, all Florida except Panhandle

Region 4--Great Lakes--the western 2/3 of Pennsylvania, the western tip of NY that borders PA, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota

Region 6--Sun belt--Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas RIo Grande Area, Nevada, Eastern California and San Diego region--

Region 7--Mountainwest--Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon

Region 8-Pacific Coast-- Seattle area of Washington, Portland area of Oregon, California coast until just north of San Diego and Hawaii

Region 9-Alaska
Houston is Far East Texas. Dallas is far North-Central Texas. Austin is Central Texas.
You need a map.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2021 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Formatted quote

Old 05-07-2021, 01:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 9,920,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Here's the thing: conservatives get annoyed at liberals every bit as much as the other way around, but we (conservatives) don't demand that they (liberals) change their views to conform to ours. If they want to recognize non-binary genders and announce their preferred pronouns, so be it. We don't try to make them acknowledge only two genders and force them to use the pronouns that have traditionally been associated with them. But liberals, the ones who prattle on about how tolerant they are, refuse to tolerate anyone having a different opinion than they do.
While I have not the least desire to defend or to condone "wokism", it's imperative to mention that

(1) the creeping (and creepy) growth of the state is a darling of both liberals and conservatives (for the latter, witness the Patriot Act).

(2) the refusal to leave the other party alone, is also symmetric. Conservatives keep clamoring to ban abortion, to reinstitute public prayer, and to give "equal time" to the teaching of evolution and creationism.

And if you don't believe that there's a rampant cancel-culture from the right, just imagine what would happen to a candidate who's running for public office, who is an out-and-out atheist.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:14 PM

304 posts, read 162,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While I have not the least desire to defend or to condone "wokism", it's imperative to mention that

(1) the creeping (and creepy) growth of the state is a darling of both liberals and conservatives (for the latter, witness the Patriot Act).

(2) the refusal to leave the other party alone, is also symmetric. Conservatives keep clamoring to ban abortion, to reinstitute public prayer, and to give "equal time" to the teaching of evolution and creationism.

And if you don't believe that there's a rampant cancel-culture from the right, just imagine what would happen to a candidate who's running for public office, who is an out-and-out atheist.
Cancel culture on the right---see Liz Cheny, Mitt Romney or basically anyone who does not think Trump was divinely appointed

How many GOP lawmakers were censured for speaking up against him.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:04 PM

21,999 posts, read 15,851,482 times
The best thing about being in and wanting to remain in Region 8 is that the right doesn't want to be here. Combine that with the beauty and natural resources and it's wins all around.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:19 PM

37,961 posts, read 18,045,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

You made this all up and have no proof. Conservatives didn't vote for the Patriot Act and increased spending. Those are the neocons and they infect both parties.

Just imagine what would happen to a candidate who's running for public office, who is an out-and-out racist. Oh that's right, we already know and the left has been running them for the last 150 years..

it's imperative to mention that

Old 05-07-2021, 02:21 PM

15,068 posts, read 8,378,247 times
Quote:

Region 9-Alaska
I am in Kentucky.

Old/New Confederacy???? No way!
My Ancestors here in Kentucky fought for the Union...the United States of America.
I would have been against the first confederacy and would be against a new one.
United States of America. USA all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Just stop with the extremism and hyperbolic many Americans on both sides of the aisle want dissolution of the USA. A true American who values our Constitution and democracy would be working for this country of ours and not seeding divisiveness in the name of fun.

This is the United States of America, why do you and those of your ilk beat this drum in our nation?
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

The country is not breaking up though. Get over yourselves and learn to get along.
This.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-07-2021 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Quote format

Old 05-07-2021, 02:23 PM

16,111 posts, read 6,809,097 times
Based on this, it looks like Putin's plan to divide America is "succeeding". How to destroy your enemies without a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies