Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 07:35 AM

962 posts, read 542,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Do you have a 401k? Mutual funds? Pension? IRA? Investments? If yes, you own those companies!
I do have retirement plans. Should I be jumping for joy at my small egg getting slightly bigger, while a select few make BILLIONS while neglecting to reinvest in their businesses? You're telling the 90% to be happy it got scraps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2021, 07:39 AM

43,218 posts, read 18,372,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
I do have retirement plans. Should I be jumping for joy at my small egg getting slightly bigger, while a select few make BILLIONS while neglecting to reinvest in their businesses? You're telling the 90% to be happy it got scraps.
You act as if these companies should be sending you checks for the money they earned.

Stock buybacks IS reinvesting in their company by increasing the value of their stock. Increased value leads to bigger loans down the road should they want it and a better credit rating.

Old 03-26-2021, 07:39 AM

57,390 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
100 million people are not all in the top brackets.

I'll make the same suggestion to you... Eliminate all public employee pensions if your belief is so strong that ordinary Americans don't benefit from share value appreciation.
Some only have a few thousand dollars invested in the stock market, not exactly a windfall but those at the top sure benefitted. Completely eliminate pensions and rely on stock market returns? Stock market returns were not the selling point for the Tax Reform Act, it was supposed to increase GDP, pay for itself and bring back manufacturing and promote business investment in facilities.

Similar happened when GW Bush allowed tax breaks to repatriate overseas wealth for American companies, it mostly went to stock buybacks and executive compensation.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:04 AM

89,139 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
The alternative is your small egg not growing in value at all. Is that what you want? That 100 million people will have no growth in value in their pension plans and retirement accounts? And that as a result they'll be plunged into poverty in retirement, having only Social Security as their sole source of income?

Here's what many of you don't understand... Investments are like placing bets. More risk = more reward.

Easy illustration of that fact? Bet on the first place Kentucky Derby horse to win. 5 to 1 final odds.

Person A: $2 bet payout is $12 ($10 + $2 original bet)
Person B: $2,000 bet payout is $12,000

Person B bet $1,998 more than person A, but has a $11,988 higher payout.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You act as if these companies should be sending you checks for the money they earned.

Stock buybacks IS reinvesting in their company by increasing the value of their stock. Increased value leads to bigger loans down the road should they want it and a better credit rating.
You are trying to communicate with people (mostly those on the left) who have no financial or economic sense whatsoever. I doubt they will ever be able to comprehend the reality of what you're telling them. /sigh

Old 03-26-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some only have a few thousand dollars invested in the stock market, not exactly a windfall but those at the top sure benefitted.
Everyone benefits equally, in direct proportion to what they have invested in their pensions and retirement accounts.

Quote:
Completely eliminate pensions and rely on stock market returns?
Newsflash: Pensions rely on stock market returns to achieve the growth they need to fulfill their pension payout obligations.

PLEASE tell me how so many people (mostly those on the left) do not know this.

Quote:
Stock market returns were not the selling point for the Tax Reform Act, it was supposed to increase GDP, pay for itself and bring back manufacturing and promote business investment in facilities.
Corporate income tax revenues increased 12% from 2018 to 2019. That's a HUGE increase. The Tax Reform Act was a success in stimulating the economy, complete with more corporate profits to tax.

Source: The CBO, citing the Department of the Treasury and the OMB. https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/201...O-MBR-FY19.pdf

Old 03-26-2021, 09:24 AM

17,336 posts, read 12,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Democrats are idiots.

They nearly destroyed our manufacturing with NAFTA and China trade policies, now they want to deal the coup de grace.
...wow what a rewrite of history.

NAFTA was started by Reagan(part of his 1980 campaign) and negotiated by Bush. It was opposed by most Democrats as they were the party of manufacturing unions. Republican party is the one that was all about free trade.
The North American Free Trade Agreement: Ronald Reagan's Vision Realized

Opening up trade with China started with Nixon.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah because those corporate tax cuts ended up with all kinds of major manufacturing facilities being built all over the USA -- SAID NOBODY EVER BECAUSE IT DID NOT HAPPEN.

If a company does invest in another country that country sees wealth and most likely then will import more goods -- and if the USA can position itself with goods and services that are much desired in the world....we all win.

This notion that the USA doesn't NEED anybody is silly.

Many of you only look at one side of the equation.

While some policies may in fact boost other countries, boosting other countries is not always bad for the USA if managed properly.
That's so far from the reality!

Reducing the cost of doing business always ends up in more business and more wealth for everybody. That's the basics of economics.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,592,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
...wow what a rewrite of history.

NAFTA was started by Reagan(part of his 1980 campaign) and negotiated by Bush. It was opposed by most Democrats as they were the party of manufacturing unions. Republican party is the one that was all about free trade.
The North American Free Trade Agreement: Ronald Reagan's Vision Realized

Opening up trade with China started with Nixon.
Are you saying the Democrats didn't vote for NAFTA?

Old 03-26-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are you saying the Democrats didn't vote for NAFTA?
Biden voted for it. He voted for the Iraq War, too. Not exactly who we should have as our national leader. He makes bad choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies