Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:24 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,350,589 times

Advertisements

Stupidity.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,742,227 times
Probably lack of enthusiasm mixed with a good dose of tribalism.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I see this a lot - who was the "better" candidate for the Dems to put forward?
They didn't seem to have one. GOP had good people (conservative), but they didn't have the balls to challenge Trump so they are running with Trump's give government / big spending populism.

Also, I think Dems should have picked a Republican VP and run a mixed ticket. That's what the country needs.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:30 AM

8,088 posts, read 10,109,226 times
Trump followers are tribal. We saw that over the weekend with their road rage behavior. They know full well that they could go to jail for a long, long time for violating peoples constitutional rights, but they did it anyhow. Nobody is inherently that stupid; just brainwashed and they will vote by the bazillions. Enough to re-elect Trump? Time will tell.

Biden is a weak candidate. The democrats had a number of really brilliant candidates, but they went with the guy who must have "polled" as electable. Better than Hillary, but still a "hold your nose and do what is right" sort of moment when you vote for Biden.

Some sort of "legal" intervention? Trump packed the courts in anticipation of these moments. Could the judges be less than "patriotic"? If they are, it could swing the election against the popular and electoral votes.

I'm going with America is still a good country and we, in the end, will do what our founding fathers wished when they set up the election system.

Otherwise, god help us all.

28,343 posts, read 16,425,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They didn't seem to have one. GOP had good people (conservative), but they didn't have the balls to challenge Trump so they are running with populism.

Also, I think Dems should have picked a Republican VP and run a mixed ticket. That's what the country needs.
There you go. Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good".

3,560 posts, read 1,664,808 times
The Republicans will have been successful in suppression of votes.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:37 AM

923 posts, read 528,544 times
His plan for covid is for a nation wide lockdown.
Eliminating the use of fossil fuels by 2025
His health care plan will mimic Obama and our rates will double
Eliminating tax cut Trump has
Raising taxes
Supporting defunding the police
Gun control for law abiding citizens by working on eliminating the 2nd amendment.
His relations with China.
Choosing Harris as a VP, even though she has called him a racist and about everything else besides a human.
I honestly believe he is a puppet for the democrat party as they plan on Harris as president shortly after election if he is chosen. Harris is radical, in my opinion.

Basically I don't want to go back to the Obama economy/era. As a business owner we have been moving in the right direction for the last 4 years and I'd like that to continue.

This is my opinion of what I have researched. It is what I believe is best for my family and our business.

I will also say that if biden/harris is chosen as the President of the United States, I will respect him and his decisions.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 AM

14,009 posts, read 5,664,056 times
Forget Trump, forget Biden and look at three historical patterns that favor incumbents:

1) Challenger is not now nor has ever been a chief executive of any organization, public or private. The office of POTUS is chief executive of the largest, richest and most powerful organization on Earth. You have Choice Red, the incumbent, who has a bona fide, legit track record as a chief executive, both public and private. And you have Choice Blue, a lifetime legislator/meeting attendee who has never been the chief executive of anything in any sector, ever. Since 1888, America is rock solid on choosing chief executives over meeting attendees to be the next chief executive.

2) Incumbent has rock solid party support. When incumbents have lost in the last 132 years, in addition to their challenger being a governor (former/current chief exec, just of smaller org), the incumbent did not have properly strong support from the party as evidenced by strong primary challenge and/or base shifting towards a vigorous 3rd party interloper. Not only is there no conservatarian quasi right 3rd party presence of any consequence in this election, but the incumbent has the strongest party/base support since our primary system has been in its current form. Not only did Trump get more total primary votes than Emperor Barack I did in 2012, he got more primary votes, running unopposed mind you, than the entire Democrat field of 2020...COMBINED, including Sen Get Off My Lawn, who does have pretty serious support.

3) Incumbent has more economic good news than bad news. Objectively, the economy during the Trump administration is as strong and resilient as any four year period in American history, even with the scamdemic and the politically motivated wreckage the Democrats tried to inflict. Lowest Black and Hispanic unemployment EVER. A period of more than a year where we actually had more unfilled jobs than we had people looking for work. A 33% single quarter rebound in GDP...during an election year where half the political class and most of the media was driving a doom and gloom narrative to wreck the economy? When incumbents have lost, the economic bad news far outweighed the good, and no matter how they spin Mar-Jun 2020, the good news since Jan 2017 far outweighs the bad, so says the 56% of Americans who told Gallup they are better off today than they were four years ago.

Look at the elections where Hoover, Carter and GHWB lost. Then look at all the incumbents who won. Trump shares not one factor common to the former group, and shares much with the latter.

So when Biden loses, the reason is simple - electoral history and how he specifically was never going to overcome it. They needed a governor, they needed way less support for Trump from the Republican party and base, and they needed more economic bad news than good for the last 4 years.

This is me being fair to Biden. I have gone on record (search for it, by all means) that I think the DNC trotting this guy out in his clearly obvious, and unfortunate, condition to face the rigors of the most grueling process in global politics was nothing short of abject cruelty. I feel bad for Joe Biden. Not totally, since you cannot rape the willing, but he got bullied into his position more than he chose it.

Had the Dems tapped a governor like 2 years ago to start building a more compelling case of something to vote FOR instead of AGAINST, they'd be doing better and Biden could be chasing pretty butterflies in his backyard. But they tapped someone who would be sure to have every possible historical pattern going against him, and none for him.

tl,dr - it really isn't anything Biden so much as the forces of electoral history. He isn't really a candidate. He's the face on the posters the media and DNC are using as the backdrop to their incessant shrieking. He's an anti-Trump placeholder.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:46 AM

10,102 posts, read 14,514,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think it will be the fact that Biden isn't a strong candidate. It's really hard to get enthusiastic about voting for him.
Yep, agreed.

Biden's a pretty terrible candidate all-in-all. It's definitely hard to get behind him: slow energy, early dementia, gaffes, corruption swirling around him, 48 years in the DC swamp.

Add in the BLM and ANTIFA riots and it didn't help his cause.

We will see what happens.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:49 AM

10,102 posts, read 14,514,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Forget Trump, forget Biden and look at three historical patterns that favor incumbents:

Great post and incredible points.

Biden has always had a huge, uphill battle.

Without Democrat and the left owned mainstream media supporting him, he would be losing even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.