Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,746,342 times

Advertisements

We requested our ballots via mail. We filled them out at home. On the first day of early voting, I drove one mile to the closest early voting place, walked in, showed the poll worker that all three of my household's ballots were signed and dated, and dropped them all in the locked box.

There were maybe 15 people in line to vote in person in the hallway that I could see (they went into a different room to actually check in and vote, so I don't know how many were in there), with a steady trickle coming in from the parking lot and leaving out the side door. I was in and out within about one minute, including the walk through the parking lot both ways.

A few days later, I logged onto the county's voting website and was able to confirm that all three had been accepted and tabulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don't have a problem with making presidential voting a national holiday. It only happens once every 4 years. But if that's done, do away with early voting - only allow absentee voting for a very good reason.
That would make the lines much longer. Here we have early voting for two full weeks, weekends included, and the lines are steady. When I've gone in the past, I've waited maybe 10-15 minutes. Why would it be beneficial to have people stand in line for hours on one day? Also, a federal holiday doesn't mean that many, many people are not working. Sure, the bank and corporate employees and teachers will be off, but the retail employees, construction workers, hospital workers, etc, would not be. People would have to bring their children, including babies to stand in line for potentially hours. How would that be an improvement?

The point is to make it easier for everyone to vote, not to trade in one convenience (that benefits almost everyone) for another (that benefits very few).

Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,571,781 times
I voted the first day early voting was open and waited in line for 45 min...didn’t like it for sure. The county next to mine allowed drive thru voting. That should be more common going forward.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:44 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,954,014 times
My experience was the same as the last few elections. Got my mail-in ballot as early as possible, way back on October 10th, filled it out immediately. Then drove it to the local drop-off ballot box on a Saturday, it was busy but no "run-ins" with anyone.

Previous years would have mailed it in but we'd probably do it this way in future elections too.

Within a week, saw notification on-line that all of our ballots were ready for counting. In fact, they would be first on the pile to count.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:53 AM

15,665 posts, read 10,441,838 times
i voted in person a week ago. no line. most of the dozen or so voting machines were empty. i noticed the few voters at the machines were all millennials.

in and out of the polling place in 5 minutes.

polling employees were 20 to 30 something years old, friendly, efficient.

easiest and quickest presidential year voting experience of my entire life.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:18 AM

6,829 posts, read 3,236,700 times
Vote by mail has been in effect in Oregon for over 20 years. We voted about a week ago. The last time I voted in person was probably 1997. We only had to drive about 5 miles to vote, and there were no long lines, so it wasn't tough at all.
However, I love vote by mail. I sit at my kitchen table, review the voter pamphlet and make my choices at my leisure. I don't drop it in the mailbox, but at the official drop box. With my short term memory loss, this is the way to go.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:21 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,874,388 times
No somberness noted, however new voters/first time voters were recogonized and the whole place broke out in cheering and clapping! Very cool! very small townsville!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,754,041 times
Got my ballot in the mail.
Sat with it and the blue book that provides details on ballot proposals, etc. for an hour or so.
Filled it out, sealed and signed it and drove over to my favorite library where I dropped it the secure box as I have done for the last eight years.

Got an email a couple of days later that noted that it had been received.
Great experience as always.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:30 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,039,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So don't vote then.

Why do we make it easy for people who don't care enough to vote?

Maybe we should not try to force down a maximalist vote count.
Why don’t you “gasp” mind your own business and don’t worry how I do it. We all know you’ve got no shortage of time crashing in mum and dads basement rent free.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:32 PM

25,456 posts, read 9,863,521 times
DH and I voted in person. Lots of voting booths, only 3-4 people voting at the time we were there. No problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies