Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 08:23 PM

13,605 posts, read 7,642,037 times

Advertisements

I have been voting by mail for about 14 years. My employer has a facility right near the county tabulation center they have told us we are to stay away from that building on Tuesday in case of civil unrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 08:33 PM

42,137 posts, read 75,813,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
]This was what I was hoping for. Not a I mailed an envelope this year, but what the voting experience has been in the past.
Perhaps the question could have been asked more succinctly.

Habits and customs change. Adults can teach their children about the importance of voting by filling out a ballot at the kitchen table just as easily as they can by toting them to the physical polling place.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:39 PM

19,383 posts, read 6,585,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
My experience was a bit like Rachel's.

Ordinarily, DH and I vote at our local polling place (a bank), so we see familiar faces each time, our neighbors whom we "know" by sight but not necessarily name. The vibe is normally much like Rachel describes, a feeling of pride and patriotism (and respectful, without knowing how anyone is voting). Our city's population is around 120K, so definitely not a small town.

This time we voted at one of the new polling places in town, a much larger facility. It was busy but well organized & efficient, and we were in and out with no problem (everyone was masked and distanced...it's LA County). I wouldn't say it was sad or somber, but there was absolutely no community feel to it. I had to ask for my "I Voted" sticker when usually the poll workers at the exit are happily handing them out with a congratulatory attitude. Definitely different this time.
Yes, I noticed they weren’t giving out the “I voted” sticker at my place. I didn’t ask for one because I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they didn’t have them.

You described the vibe better than I did: a missing sense of community. So perhaps that’s the “sadness” I was feeling - it was more my interpretation of the missing sense of community, and where the country is at this point.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:42 PM

19,383 posts, read 6,585,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps the question could have been asked more succinctly.

Habits and customs change. Adults can teach their children about the importance of voting by filling out a ballot at the kitchen table just as easily as they can by toting them to the physical polling place.
But the sense of community is missing, and the direct experience of seeing how everyone - white, black, old, young, well-dressed, slobs, etc., etc. - gets an equal say. You can explain to your children that everyone gets one vote, but you can’t transmit the feeling of experiencing it first-hand.

Also what is also missing is seeing how people wait on line, an hour if needed, two if needed, because that is how strongly they feel about placing their vote. It sends a message.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:50 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,956,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Also what is also missing is seeing how people wait on line, an hour if needed, two if needed, because that is how strongly they feel about placing their vote. It sends a message.
Having a system where election day isn't a national paid holiday, and people have to wait in line for hours as the only way to vote sends a message. It sends a message that the country doesn't care about its citizens. Either make election day a national paid holiday, or allow mail in or early voting for everyone. No one should have to wait in line for hours, miss work, etc. to vote.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:54 PM

13,426 posts, read 9,946,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Having a system where election day isn't a national paid holiday, and people have to wait in line for hours as the only way to vote sends a message. It sends a message that the country doesn't care about its citizens. Either make election day a national paid holiday, or allow mail in or early voting for everyone. No one should have to wait in line for hours, miss work, etc. to vote.
I don't have a problem with making presidential voting a national holiday. It only happens once every 4 years. But if that's done, do away with early voting - only allow absentee voting for a very good reason.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:59 PM

6,309 posts, read 4,752,906 times
I'm in swing state North Carolina in a suburban/semi-ruralish area. I was in an out in about 45 minutes. Early voting has been much busier than normal without over 50% of registered voters already casting ballots.

Everyone was wearing masks and maintaining physical distancing in line, which is often not the case in certain places here.

The other people I've talked to say their wait time ranged from 15 minutes to almost 2 hours.

I agree with the other poster who said the mood seemed somber. I've seen funerals where the crowd seemed more jovial and lively, but at least there was no drama/voter intimidation/aggressive campaigners, etc.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:01 PM

404 posts, read 1,252,244 times
Long line but very, very congenial atmosphere with lots of camaraderie among the voters. I was planning to sit in the grass to wait it out (small health crisis at the moment) and was embarrassed when my sister opened her big mouth and others insisted I go to the front. I love being around good people, no matter what their political affiliation. (I'm in Texas.)

Old 10-31-2020, 09:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 9,469,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My experience was different.

All my life, I’ve found it a very positive experience to vote. It’s uplifting knowing that we get to choose who we want for president, each person getting an equal say, and there’s usually a shared pride among the voters. Lots of small talk on line, smiles, even jokes.

Not so this year. I stood in line to early vote (took about an hour), and it was dead silent. Nobody made eye contact. I certainly saw no smiles. The entire experience was....somber. Sad, almost.

It’s the only time I walked out of a polling place feeling disappointed.
I’ve been voting since the 60’s, before most of you were born. It’s more serious this time Rachel.
I’d don't ever remember it being this serious.

This time we vote ... YEA or NAY on our System of Government and Constitution .

Old 10-31-2020, 09:06 PM

16,234 posts, read 5,947,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I’ve been voting since the 60’s, before most of you were born. It’s more serious this time Rachel.
I’d don't ever remember it being this serious.

This time we vote ... YEA or NAY on our System of Government and Constitution .
Thats a tad dramatic and both sides are saying it. They said it last time and they said it when Obama was elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies