Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 11:03 PM

38,655 posts, read 26,464,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
theft and copying of designers were a big issue in the past but has gotten much better recently. they are now innovating in many sectors. just look at huawei and tiktok. trump is trying to ban them because they are leaders in their industries. when tiktok said no to selling their AI IP, trump threw a hissy fit.

all of the following companies are leaders in their respective markets.
DJI - drones, gimbals
huawei - 5G, telecoms, cell phones
xiaomi - household electronics, mobility solutions
tencent - mobile apps/games

how is your neighbors AC parts availability the fault of china?

how do you know their aspirations. you speak of them as if they're a monolith.
what's your source for "them" wanting world domination? a crystal ball?

It's not China's fault.

They are simply doing one would expect a godless Communist dictatorship to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 12:14 AM

3,770 posts, read 1,534,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Plus, China is the biggest thief of corporate/collegiate intellectual property and spies of US military tech/secrets.

The only reason we talk about China in the same breath as the US is because of this theft.
number of patents filed by country would directly refute your statement.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN21P1P9

Old 10-31-2020, 01:12 PM

1,943 posts, read 569,905 times
Quote:
besides lacking freedom of speech/press/protesting govt (which most of their citizens do not value as much as other freedoms), what human rights are being violated?
"What’s Happening in Xinjiang?
The Chinese Communist Party is waging a targeted campaign against Uyghur women, men, and children, and members of other Turkic Muslim minority groups in Xinjiang, China. Documented human rights abuses include coercive population control methods, forced labor, arbitrary detention in internment camps, torture, physical and sexual abuse, mass surveillance, family separation, and repression of cultural and religious expression."

We needn't even mention the Covid pandemic which they covered up. "When early efforts of containment failed, journalists and doctors who spoke out against the threat were disappeared, these sources said."

Quote:
if it's so bad, why do 93% of their citizens approve of the govt?
"There are at least three reasons why China’s public satisfaction numbers may not reflect performance. First, and most obviously, the Chinese Communist Party actively shapes public opinion. Strict online censorship rules and the prohibition of foreign media companies allow the Party to control information flows. Although this does not imply that citizens are forced into anything, this all but guarantees that news about the government’s actions is heavily sanitized. For example, during the Wenzhou train collision in 2011, where 40 people were killed, the Communist Party prohibited any coverage of the accident."

It has been reported North Koreans are happy also. I suppose it depends largely on with what they have to compare.

Maybe you prefer a Communist totalitarian government, I don't.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:23 PM

29,937 posts, read 25,060,844 times
Quote:
besides lacking freedom of speech/press/protesting govt (which most of their citizens do not value as much as other freedoms), what human rights are being violated?
if it's so bad, why do 93% of their citizens approve of the govt?

Hmm, I wonder what happens if you voice disapproval of your government in a totalitarian communist dictatorship

Old 10-31-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
"What’s Happening in Xinjiang?
The Chinese Communist Party is waging a targeted campaign against Uyghur women, men, and children, and members of other Turkic Muslim minority groups in Xinjiang, China. Documented human rights abuses include coercive population control methods, forced labor, arbitrary detention in internment camps, torture, physical and sexual abuse, mass surveillance, family separation, and repression of cultural and religious expression."
sorry, I meant things that weren't fabricated by US govt/media. surveillance and reeducation camps are real (and seemingly effective I might add - no attacks since 2016). the gross mistreatment of uighurs that you describe are not.

Quote:
We needn't even mention the Covid pandemic which they covered up. "When early efforts of containment failed, journalists and doctors who spoke out against the threat were disappeared, these sources said."
again, more US propaganda. there was no cover up.
the whole world watched as china was erecting hospitals and locking down cities. that was no secret.

an outbreak was officially declared on 12/31 and the genome was provided to the world less than a week later - source

the doctor did not disappear - he was reprimanded for breaking protocol, by releasing unconfirmed data via social media. it is not his job to potentially release unsubstantiated information to the public. there are guidelines to follow and he broke protocol.

Quote:
"There are at least three reasons why China’s public satisfaction numbers may not reflect performance. First, and most obviously, the Chinese Communist Party actively shapes public opinion. Strict online censorship rules and the prohibition of foreign media companies allow the Party to control information flows. Although this does not imply that citizens are forced into anything, this all but guarantees that news about the government’s actions is heavily sanitized. For example, during the Wenzhou train collision in 2011, where 40 people were killed, the Communist Party prohibited any coverage of the accident."

It has been reported North Koreans are happy also. I suppose it depends largely on with what they have to compare.

Maybe you prefer a Communist totalitarian government, I don't.
when china's economy has grown as tremendously as it has over the last 40 years, due to policies enacted by their govt, I'm sure their citizens' lives are directly impacted and don't need to be brainwashed to believe otherwise. going from barely having enough food to eat, to the world's largest economy by PPP and second largest by nominal GDP, it's not unthinkable to believe that they legitimately approve of their govt. if lifting 700M out of poverty and 10% annual economic growth over the last 4 decades is "shaping public opinion", we need some of that "shaping" here ASAP.

you seem to think that chinese people are mindless drones in capable of independent thought and only believe news that is spoon fed to them. perhaps a number of them fall victim to that, but that's no different than here in the US as evidenced by most of the people on this forum that only believe the anti-china propaganda fed to you by US/western media. you guys criticize all the news that disparages your party, but blindly believe all the anti-china news. riiight...

see my response below for the harvard study.

Last edited by blahblahyoutoo; 10-31-2020 at 10:39 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Hmm, I wonder what happens if you voice disapproval of your government in a totalitarian communist dictatorship
https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...-satisfaction/

didn't seem to affect their answers, otherwise it would've been a 100% approval rating, amirite?

the study tracked responses, and their changes, over 15 years.
that they were critical towards local government (11% approval rating) shows that they were being openly candid with their responses, not in fear of repercussions for giving negative marks in the survey.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,793,158 times
I feel average Americans almost known nothing about China.

Besides the very biased media, a major reason is too few Americans (other than ethnic Chinese) understand Chinese language. Can you imagine China is one of the most important nations in the world, but 99.9% college educated Americans can't say a word of Chinese? This actually harms America.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:14 AM

1,943 posts, read 569,905 times
Quote:
when china's economy has grown as tremendously as it has over the last 40 years, due to policies enacted by their govt, I'm sure their citizens' lives are directly impacted and don't need to be brainwashed to believe otherwise. going from barely having enough food to eat, to the world's largest economy by PPP and second largest by nominal GDP, it's not unthinkable to believe that they legitimately approve of their govt. if lifting 700M out of poverty and 10% annual economic growth over the last 4 decades is "shaping public opinion", we need some of that "shaping" here ASAP.

you seem to think that chinese people are mindless drones in capable of independent thought and only believe news that is spoon fed to them. perhaps a number of them fall victim to that, but that's no different than here in the US as evidenced by most of the people on this forum that only believe the anti-china propaganda fed to you by US/western media. you guys criticize all the news that disparages your party, but blindly believe all the anti-china news. riiight...

see my response below for the harvard study.
"For Cunningham, it’s important not to forget that many in China are only a generation removed from an era of chronic food shortages and significant social and economic instability. “Relative perspective is always important, as China is still a developing country,” he said.

“We tend to forget that for many in China, and in their lived experience of the past four decades, each day was better than the next,” Saich added. “Our surveys show that many in China therefore seem to be much more satisfied with government performance over time, despite rising inequality, corruption, and a range of other pressures that are the result of the reform era.”

I suppose when you finally have a full stomach, you can overlook the other negatives.

I'll stay with my previous statement......"Maybe you prefer a Communist totalitarian government, I don't."

Last edited by Stepnking; 11-01-2020 at 08:27 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 09:16 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,068,364 times
ELECTION 2020, Oct 21, 2020
Report: Trump Paid Nearly $200,000 In Taxes To China

"Tax records analyzed by the New York Times reveal a decade of unsuccessful business activity in China by the president, including an unreported bank account that paid $188,561 in taxes between 2013 and 2015.

The account does not show up on Trump’s public financial disclosures as it is not a personal asset, but instead controlled by Trump International Hotels Management.

A lawyer for the Trump Organization told the Times that the account was opened to pay taxes after opening an office in China to “explore the potential for hotel deals in Asia.”

No deals, or other business activities, were ever made, the lawyer said.

The records also show that Trump invested at least $192,000 to pursue business in China, including creating five companies specifically designed to pursue that goal.

These companies have claimed at least $97,400 in business expenses since 2010, the Times said."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...h=427561b52d92

Old 11-01-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
"For Cunningham, it’s important not to forget that many in China are only a generation removed from an era of chronic food shortages and significant social and economic instability. “Relative perspective is always important, as China is still a developing country,” he said.

“We tend to forget that for many in China, and in their lived experience of the past four decades, each day was better than the next,” Saich added. “Our surveys show that many in China therefore seem to be much more satisfied with government performance over time, despite rising inequality, corruption, and a range of other pressures that are the result of the reform era.”

I suppose when you finally have a full stomach, you can overlook the other negatives.

I'll stay with my previous statement......"Maybe you prefer a Communist totalitarian government, I don't."
That's fine, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.
What I had issue with is (and this is not necessarily directed to you because many here are guilty of it) the constant spreading of misinformation without evidence to back it up. People lap up all the anti-china news (covid, xinjiang) as if it were 100% truth without even questioning the sources and motives behind it. and when I produce counter evidence, they call it out as propaganda and then the usual name calling ensues.

I noticed you left out a portion of my original post which addressed what we were originally debating on, so it appears at least you haven't sunk to those lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies