Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 06:59 AM

29,968 posts, read 15,012,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Manufacturing employed 17 million in 2000 and declined to 11 million in 2010, it's been steadily increasing since 2010 to 13 million until the current drop to 12 million, so why is that a big deal.

The DOL statistics tell the entire story, threads based on some Breitbart article like this are just partisan nonsense. There is no ground swell of manufacturing plants opening up so maybe the OP can tell me where the additional 1 million jobs are located or maybe ask Breitbart since this is some sort of Trump miracle.

Graph attached.
https://beta.bls.gov/dataQuery/find?fq=survey:[ce]&q=ce
It is a big deal, for those of us in the manufacturing industry. Anytime that graph is ramping up vs down , it's a good thing.

https://www.bls.gov/ces/publications...ts-09-2020.pdf

Are we ever going to get back to the 7.5 million jobs lost between 1980 and 2017 ? Absolutely not, but for the cities and states that happen to get a new plant, or have millions invested revamping an old one, it is a boon.

"Before examining the factors that have led to job losses, the authors discuss two periods that saw manufacturing employment fall sharply—1980 to 2000 and 2000 to 2017. Two million jobs were lost between 1980 and 2000 and 5.5 million jobs were lost between 2000 and 2017. The authors note that these losses have affected the employment rates of prime age workers, finding that a “10 percentage point decline in the local manufacturing share reduced local employment rates by 3.7 percentage points for prime age men and 2.7 percentage points for prime age women.”

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2018/be...ing-sector.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 AM

7,762 posts, read 5,595,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It is a big deal, for those of us in the manufacturing industry. Anytime that graph is ramping up vs down , it's a good thing.

https://www.bls.gov/ces/publications...ts-09-2020.pdf

Are we ever going to get back to the 7.5 million jobs lost between 1980 and 2017 ? Absolutely not, but for the cities and states that happen to get a new plant, or have millions invested revamping an old one, it is a boon.

"Before examining the factors that have led to job losses, the authors discuss two periods that saw manufacturing employment fall sharply—1980 to 2000 and 2000 to 2017. Two million jobs were lost between 1980 and 2000 and 5.5 million jobs were lost between 2000 and 2017. The authors note that these losses have affected the employment rates of prime age workers, finding that a “10 percentage point decline in the local manufacturing share reduced local employment rates by 3.7 percentage points for prime age men and 2.7 percentage points for prime age women.”

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2018/be...ing-sector.htm

^Nice quote from 2018. It misses Trump's epic disaster of a 'trade war' that year. The tariffs he imposed is all he has done policy wise.

Donald Trump was an AWFUL president for manufacturing. Awful. There is zero ways around it.

We can reshore manufacturing jobs, but Trump hasn’t done it - Economic Policy Institute

Quote:

President Trump’s erratic, ego-driven, and inconsistent trade policies have not achieved any measurable progress, despite the newly combative rhetoric. On top of that, COVID-19—and the administration’s mismanagement of the crisis—has wiped out much of the last decade’s job gains in U.S. manufacturing.As this policy report makes clear:
  • Offshoring and the loss of manufacturing plants have continued under Trump, notwithstanding U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer’s claim that the administration’s trade policy is helping U.S. workers (Lighthizer 2020a).
  • The strong and rising U.S. dollar is a major cause of the continuing growth of U.S. trade deficits.
  • While manufacturing employment rose steadily between 2010 and 2019, the COVID-19 shutdown has wiped out more than half of the jobs gained in the past decade.
  • The U.S. economy is in the midst of a historic collapse due to the uncontrolled coronavirus pandemic and recession.
  • Restructuring and rebuilding the economy will require a coordinated and comprehensive strategic policy response that includes rebalancing of U.S. trade, as well as massive public investments in infrastructure, clean energy, training, R&D, and other industrial policies. These investments can create millions of skilled, high-wage jobs for non-college-educated workers in the U.S., who have been hard hit by the coronavirus downturn—especially Black, Latinx, and women workers—who have been left behind as manufacturing employment shrinks.
  • Under current government procurement policies and trade rules, much of the public spending for infrastructure and clean energy systems would leak away to foreign providers, in the form of increased imports. Thus, new public investments should all include strong “Buy America” clauses.
  • Joe Biden has recently proposed major investments in infrastructure, climate, and rebuilding manufacturing. These proposals could make a substantial contribution to meeting U.S. investment needs and generating a strong, sustainable, broadly shared recovery.

Like most policy from Trump, little thought went into how they were actually going to achieve anything.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
^Nice quote from 2018. It misses Trump's epic disaster of a 'trade war' that year. The tariffs he imposed is all he has done policy wise.

Donald Trump was an AWFUL president for manufacturing. Awful. There is zero ways around it.

We can reshore manufacturing jobs, but Trump hasn’t done it - Economic Policy Institute

Like most policy from Trump, little thought went into how they were actually going to achieve anything.
Living in MI, I disagree. As you can see, manufacturing jobs have shown an increase , up until Feb. of '19. then it started to flatten, and yes, this was probably due to the trade war. I still think the intention of that was sound, we had been taken advantage of for decades. Something had to be done. Then the pandemic hit and the bottom fell out. How can an increase in jobs , in this sector be a fail ? I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about trade deficits , GDP's , and such. I have been in the manufacturing industry for 30 plus years though, and while it isn't as good as the early 2000's , things have been well , since '14/'15 and getting better.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MIMFG

Old 10-26-2020, 07:51 AM

17,994 posts, read 13,979,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Living in MI, I disagree. As you can see, manufacturing jobs have shown an increase , up until Feb. of '19. then it started to flatten, and yes, this was probably due to the trade war. I still think the intention of that was sound, we had been taken advantage of for decades. Something had to be done. Then the pandemic hit and the bottom fell out. How can an increase in jobs , in this sector be a fail ? I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about trade deficits , GDP's , and such. I have been in the manufacturing industry for 30 plus years though, and while it isn't as good as the early 2000's , things have been well , since '14/'15 and getting better.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MIMFG
I hate to tell you this but the link above you posted contains a graph that shows the peak of manufacturing jobs being at the end of the Clinton years followed by a steep and steady decline during the Bush years.
It bottoms out at the beginning of Obama's term and it has a slow precipitous climb up during the two Obama terms and then basically flattens during the Trump years. Then it falls of a cliff with the pandemic.

I can't figure out a way to post the graph but it certainly seems to make Clinton and Obama look good. Trump looks like all he did was maintain what Obama did. And "W" looks terrible.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I hate to tell you this but the link above you posted contains a graph that shows the peak of manufacturing jobs being at the end of the Clinton years followed by a steep and steady decline during the Bush years.
It bottoms out at the beginning of Obama's term and it has a slow precipitous climb up during the two Obama terms and then basically flattens during the Trump years. Then it falls of a cliff with the pandemic.

I can't figure out a way to post the graph but it certainly seems to make Clinton and Obama look good. Trump looks like all he did was maintain what Obama did. And "W" looks terrible.
If you've read my earlier post, I clearly state, things are not what they were pre 2000. And again, in my previous post, I state it doesn't flatten until 2019...most likely due to the trade war.
Attached Thumbnails
President Trump Presided Over the Largest Manufacturing Boom in a First Term Since the 1970s-graph.jpg  

Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,409,720 times
These jobs aren't necessarily the best paying for the grueling slave labor conditions but nobody is forcing people to work them either. I always tell people to not let an employer use you. People out here have that "minnesota nice" trait and are often too passive for their own good, especially the ones with Norwegian ancestry. Don't work at a factory for under $15/hour... make sure you are paid well to bust your ass. (well enough at least)

Amazon is building a massive warehouse north of sioux falls. That means one day deliveries for me soon. There is a general shortage of labor in eastern south dakota because well it's cold out here and nothing around. Passing Amendment A would go a long way towards attracting people.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
These jobs aren't necessarily the best paying for the grueling slave labor conditions but nobody is forcing people to work them either. I always tell people to not let an employer use you. People out here have that "minnesota nice" trait and are often too passive for their own good, especially the ones with Norwegian ancestry. Don't work at a factory for under $15/hour... make sure you are paid well to bust your ass. (well enough at least)

Amazon is building a massive warehouse north of sioux falls. That means one day deliveries for me soon. There is a general shortage of labor in eastern south dakota because well it's cold out here and nothing around. Passing Amendment A would go a long way towards attracting people.
You do realize, manufacturing encompasses much more than just assembly , don't you ? I'm a design engineer....there is no gueling slave labor conditions going on here.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:02 AM

5,315 posts, read 6,279,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Large U.S. manufacturers like Caterpillar have blamed Trump’s trade war for their slumping sales. The tariffs have hit the hardest on parts used to make cars, washing machines and other products, raising costs for U.S. manufacturing companies.

That's the essence of globalism. It's called "global sourcing." If you can make a part in a cheap labor country to bring more to the "bottom line," that's great. To heck with the US workers who make the parts.

Note: Globalism has been a priority project of the Republocrat duopoly since WW2.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
That's the essence of globalism. It's called "global sourcing." If you can make a part in a cheap labor country to bring more to the "bottom line," that's great. To heck with the US workers who make the parts.

Note: Globalism has been a priority project of the Republocrat duopoly since WW2.
And that is why the Trade war seemed like a good idea....try to force the companies to bring back those jobs. It wasn't going to happen over night, and would definitely hurt in the short term. It took decades to get us to this point, 4 years isn't long enough to turn the tables.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:11 AM

38,785 posts, read 22,599,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ha, who has had a new manufacturing plant open in their hometown? Not here. A large vacant one is still for sale.
Well, there you go /threadfail. Myopic anecdotal wins out over facts and data, every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies