Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 05:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,251,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I don't think that this one is going to keep me awake at night. I will say that now that OP and Slate has gotten me to think about it, people do tend to call famous men by their last name while famous women usually get referred to by both names. That's sexist?
This happens a lot with politicians and it does brush my feathers in the wrong direction but not enough to make an issue of it since generally there are bigger fish to fry. I don't mind so much when someuses both but more commonly you'll see someone refer to a male politician by his last name and a female politician by her first. How often do you hear Trump or Pence referred to as Donald or Mike? You are much more likely to hear references to female politicians by their first names, such as Hilary (Clinton), Kamala (Harris) and Nancy (Pelosi). Again, I've noticed it and it irks me a little but I'd much rather focus on more substantive things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 05:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,790,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This happens a lot with politicians and it does brush my feathers in the wrong direction but not enough to make an issue of it since generally there are bigger fish to fry. I don't mind so much when someuses both but more commonly you'll see someone refer to a male politician by his last name and a female politician by her first. How often do you hear Trump or Pence referred to as Donald or Mike? You are much more likely to hear references to female politicians by their first names, such as Hilary (Clinton), Kamala (Harris) and Nancy (Pelosi). Again, I've noticed it and it irks me a little but I'd much rather focus on more substantive things.
Hilary Clinton is not as often referred to as just "Clinton" for obvious reasons. Kamala Harris is "Kamala" because that's quite an unusual and distinctive name while "Harris" is commonplace. And I think Nancy Pelosi is in fact called "Pelosi" more than she's called "Nancy", at least here on CD.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:32 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,251,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hilary Clinton is not as often referred to as just "Clinton" for obvious reasons. Kamala Harris is "Kamala" because that's quite an unusual and distinctive name while "Harris" is commonplace. And I think Nancy Pelosi is in fact called "Pelosi" more than she's called "Nancy", at least here on CD.
I might not have picked the best examples for the reasons you mention, but those were just examples. Even in the case of Clinton and Harris I think in context it is pretty clear who is being referenced, but when there is a question I think the better approach would be to use the full name, not just the first. A better example would be Tulsi Gabbard, who was more commonly referred to as Tulsi rather than Gabbard, and neither her first nor her last name is particularly common.

Again, nothing I would ever make a case out of but it has struck me from time to time and seemed consistent with the discussion in this thread.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:37 PM

301 posts, read 183,856 times
Stuff like this keeps me voting Republican.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,790,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I might not have picked the best examples for the reasons you mention, but those were just examples. Even in the case of Clinton and Harris I think in context it is pretty clear who is being referenced, but when there is a question I think the better approach would be to use the full name, not just the first. A better example would be Tulsi Gabbard, who was more commonly referred to as Tulsi rather than Gabbard, and neither her first nor her last name is particularly common.

Again, nothing I would ever make a case out of but it has struck me from time to time and seemed consistent with the discussion in this thread.
I dunno... if you like Tulsi Gabbard, does it really feel right to just call her "Gabbard"? Doesn't it seems cold.. unfriendly? Men might refer to some of their male acquaintances, usually guys they are less friendly with or more wary about, by their last names only, but do women do this much with other women?

It used to be that referring to a woman by her last name only, without Miss, Mrs. (or Ms.) before it, was considered rude and disrespectful. Wimbledon just started doing this last year. So there's probably still some reluctance in society to push women completely off the pedestal in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies