Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 08:09 PM

149 posts, read 177,566 times

Advertisements

If Democrat party would be so great for the country WHY CALIFORNIANS and NEW-YORKERS, Washingtonians etc. RUN TO other states, mostly red.... in some kind of FRENZY???

Here in Idaho Californians buying everything they can get, and they say Idaho is like a heaven of freedom for them.... And when they come here in drones, they all are resolved to vote Republican...We call them refugees
Same happens to Washingtonians ( we moved from WA), Oregonians, ..., etc...
If Democrats and their policies are so great WHY THEY ALL RUNNING AWAY from the Democrat states???

Last edited by Natalijaasbj; 10-24-2020 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: title spelled wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 08:14 PM

7,565 posts, read 4,429,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
If Democrat party would be so great for the country WHY CALIFORNIANS and NEW-YORKERS, Washingtonians etc. RUN TO other states, mostly red.... in some kind of FRENZY???

Here in Idaho Californians buying everything they can get, and they say Idaho is like a heaven of freedom for them.... And when they come here in drones, they all are resolved to vote Republican...We call them refugees
Same happens to Washingtonians ( we moved from WA), Oregonians, ..., etc...
If Democrats and their policies are so great WHY THEY ALL RUNNING AWAY from the Democrat states???
I think that you've answered your own question.

I felt the same way when I got the hell out of the God awful State of New York and never looked back. The Democrats destroy everything that they get their hands on. God help us if they gain control of all three branches of government.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I think that you've answered your own question.

I felt the same way when I got the hell out of the God awful State of New York and never looked back. The Democrats destroy everything that they get their hands on. God help us if they gain control of all three branches of government.
I see we are onthe same page!I would like to hear the reasoning of those who vote democrats.... I am just trying to understand the logic behind their choices !

Old 10-24-2020, 09:17 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,961,727 times
I used to live in Washington state, I had to leave the BS liberal politics behind... I have never moved back into a liberal state and would never want to... Ironic that Washington state doesn't have an income tax... So many liberals and none of them want to pay taxes...

Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 PM

17,530 posts, read 12,510,656 times
False narrative. WA, OR, CO, DC are in top 10 for population gain this year too.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...growing-states

Some people are leaving those areas due to being priced out. People with more money/suitable careers move in and continue to drive up cost of living. That’s a sign of wildly successful capitalism... Basic supply and demand.

Low cost of living reflects a stagnant local economy. The people priced out but walking away with hundreds of thousands in equity would likely like to ride that equity wave again in a new place and want to invest and develop it.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 PM

8,540 posts, read 8,993,752 times
California grew by close to 3 million people net in last 10 years. More than the national average growth rate. Between 2018 and 2019 Washington continued its long trend of growth and was the 7th fastest growing state.

Need to hear more about what happened in 2020 net for states and big picture.

There is more than one idea of where people want to be. What one notices, agrees with, publicizes may vary. On City-Data is it more common to hear the conservative stories / point of view.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:37 PM

8,540 posts, read 8,993,752 times
The trends are as stated above but WPR cited 2017-2018 data even under a 2020 label. They want to be seen as leading edge authority. Sometimes they even make up and report their own projections in lieu of super recent data. Not here, but just an observation.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:40 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,687,683 times
New York and California pay lot more into national coffers than they get back. Red backward states get more from national coffers than they pay due to their meager Republican economies. People moving to red states just want to benefit from some of their tax money given to the red states.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:45 PM

6,080 posts, read 4,308,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
I see we are onthe same page!I would like to hear the reasoning of those who vote democrats.... I am just trying to understand the logic behind their choices !
In other words, your question is "Why are you a Democrat?"

And you honestly think that is going to be a productive conversation? It's sort of like going on a philosophy of religion forum and asking "Why do you believe in God?" Sure, it's relevant. But it's such a big topic that it might be better to ask a more specific question, like what a person's issue priority list looks like.

The biggest difference between liberals and conservatives is in their construction of liberty. Conservatives (most of whom are Republicans) tend to view liberty as freedom from outside interference. If the government isn't telling you to do something and isn't preventing you from doing something, you are free. Liberals (most of whom are Democrats) tend to view liberty more broadly. Even if there is no interference from the outside, you might not realistically be free to pursue your objectives. For example, is a student who goes to the worst school district in America and has zero home support and lives in poverty free to go to Harvard? Sure, in a freedom-from-interference sense, he or she has that freedom. But is it a meaningful freedom in the sense that the kid has a real chance of pursuing a Harvard education? No, probably not. He or she is about as free to do that as I am to win the Powerball.

So, that's probably a useful starting point for why liberals are liberals and conservatives are conservatives. They view liberty differently. Conservatives therefore tend to want a smaller government (freedom from interference), whereas liberals tend to want the government to play a more active role, and that might include the government interfering and reducing our freedom-from-interference sort of liberty if it produces a more robust sort of liberty.

Add in various religious commitments (many conservatives are admittedly one-issue voters) and specific beliefs about things like climate change or Israel or taxation and you can account for a lot of people who are partisan but aren't exactly ideologues.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:46 PM

Most people from Californians explained to me they wanted more peaceful and conservative state to raise the family. We could afford our living in WA just fine. But it seemed not a good peaceful place to stay in anymore...I have to add of course there were other factors. One thing I know for sure - we probably will not stay in Idaho, but we know will never move to any liberal run state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies