Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your position of fracking?
I support it 77 78.57%
We should ban it 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 05:59 AM

59,328 posts, read 27,487,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Oil companies are trying to expand fracking deeper into my state and my county. The geologic structure here is largely volcanic and not likely to have much oil. There are hot springs in places and magma bodies in places deep below the surface. There other parts that are sand several thousand feet deep. One test drill site went down 22k feet to find bedrock. I use a well and there is an ample clean groundwater at present in my area...but for how long?q I am opposed to anything that will jeopardize the current status. There is no real reason to introduce fracking on the off chance that they might find a few barrels of oil. There are other places that might be more productive and appropriate.
"I am opposed to anything that will jeopardize the current status. There is no real reason to introduce fracking on the off chance that they might find a few barrels of oil"

Explain WHY you think this way with FACTS, NOT just unfounded fears.

"There are other places that might be more productive and appropriate."

Typical all about "me". "not in MY back yard", but it is OK in someone ELSE'S back yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
My F150 likes gas. I like to drive my truck. I like turning on my lights and having electricity. I like oil. I support our gas and oil industry.

That being said I have no problem with research regarding the replacement of fossil fuels. As a finite resource we will eventually have to cut back on their use. It’s not an either or.....we should be supporting our gas and oil industry for the present and researching new energy tech at the same time for our future.
".we should be supporting our gas and oil industry for the present and researching new energy tech at the same time for our future.", and think we are NOT?

Old 10-21-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Your next F150 may like electricity. It would be kinda cool to see an F150 smoke a Tesla Model S. Just thinkin' out loud!
I ask often of those for electric cars and are pro environment, and never get a response. What are we going to do with all the OLD batteries?

Most don 't even know what is IN a battery.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:07 AM

9,553 posts, read 4,375,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
20 years of new renewable capacity coming in. The last 10 years brought about 70 billion kWh of new solar generation and 200 billion kWh of new wind generation to the U.S. stack. Look forward 20 years and wind + solar are probably touching 1,000 billion kWh + 500 between other renewables, so total ~1.5 trillion kWh from renewables in 2040. I'm not saying natural gas is displaced by 2040, but the LCOE numbers on solar + wind are very good.

Like gasoline, electric energy must be stored on the vehicle (at least with most current EV technology). You've only addressed part of the capacity program. The far bigger - and more environmentally important factor - is the materials required to manufacture an EV power cell. A ICE car requires a small amount of sheet metal. An EV requires a significant amount of Lithium - which is not renewable. You need to look at the whole problem.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
20 years of new renewable capacity coming in. The last 10 years brought about 70 billion kWh of new solar generation and 200 billion kWh of new wind generation to the U.S. stack. Look forward 20 years and wind + solar are probably touching 1,000 billion kWh + 500 between other renewables, so total ~1.5 trillion kWh from renewables in 2040. I'm not saying natural gas is displaced by 2040, but the LCOE numbers on solar + wind are very good.
being ypu "seem" to be very knowledgeable on the sibject, what are we going to do with all the OLD batteries?

We spent BILLIONS on a safe place for nuclear waste and obama banned opening it..

If we get another dem president what do you think they are going to do wit all the old batteries??

Old 10-21-2020, 06:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m all for it so long as it doesn’t come to my state. And we’re fighting it tooth and nail although a very tiny bit has slipped through. Not enough to get any real data though.

And that’s fine with me.
“I want the benefits without sharing in the costs.”

NIMBY

Old 10-21-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Oil companies are trying to expand fracking deeper into my state and my county. The geologic structure here is largely volcanic and not likely to have much oil. There are hot springs in places and magma bodies in places deep below the surface. There other parts that are sand several thousand feet deep. One test drill site went down 22k feet to find bedrock. I use a well and there is an ample clean groundwater at present in my area...but for how long?q I am opposed to anything that will jeopardize the current status. There is no real reason to introduce fracking on the off chance that they might find a few barrels of oil. There are other places that might be more productive and appropriate.
Pretty sure the oil companies know more about the resources in your area than you do. No offense intended, just a simple truth.

They wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t potentially a lot of oil or gas (I’m guessing gas based on what you said).

You could contact them and ask, you know. It’s allowed. Or contact your county and ask. Or read your local paper - they probably write stories about it.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,715,464 times
Banning fracking would do nothing but benefit the OPEC countries and Russia. Putin would love us to ban it, because it would mean more oil for him to sell to China.

This is why I don't understand all of the talk about Russia pulling for Trump, it would actually be in their best interests for Biden to win.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:21 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Do you support it or oppose it? And why?
I am a left-leaning centrist, and I support Fracking* but your poll does not give enough nuance to answer.

I work in the industry and I attend conferences all the time. Before this, I was not as supportive, however:

- Pretty much all of our oil in the USA comes from Fracking
- The larger oil companies are WAY more careful than we'd think. That is what swayed me.
- I have been on several fracks, as well as refineries, pipelines and oil-wells.

I support Fracking because the legit companies won't let a major accident happen. They know that if they do, the PR will be devestating. That said, there are companies that take shortcuts, and could ruin it for everyone.

For that reason, my answer is: I support fracking with heavy oversight and regulation. Some on the far right will criticize me for the oversite, some on the far left will criticize me for my support. The fact is that we need that push/pull of regulation vs free enterprise. If we go too far in EITHER direction, it is bad.

So, I support Fracking, but the opposition to it keeps the companies honest (I have had a seat at the table, and I see this play out every day). Too much regulation will strangle, but too little will allow for many problems.

Bottom line: If the US were to ban fracking altogether, it would be devastating to our economy. If we were to totally deregulate it, it would be devastating to our environment. Balance is the key, and of course we can all argue to our death about what is the proper balance. More important is that we have that discussion, and both sides keep their pressure up to keep the other side honest

Old 10-21-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Your next F150 may like electricity. It would be kinda cool to see an F150 smoke a Tesla Model S. Just thinkin' out loud!
Trucks need too much power. It will be a long time before fossil fuels are banned completely. The stored energy they have isn’t replaceable by electricity. Our battery tech isn’t anywhere near good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies