Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,407,354 times

Advertisements

A few days before the 1984 election VP Mondale held a campaign rally in which 100,000 attended.

“Mondale predicted he will win the election next Tuesday, despite polls showing him far behind Reagan. 'I need your help,' he told the crowd”.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/11...3124468133200/

This sounds an awfully a lot like Trump decrying the polls and boasting of his crowd size.

Furthermore, he sounds pathetically like Mondale begging for help:

”So I ask you to do me a favor. Suburban women: Will you please like me? Please. Please”.

https://apnews.com/article/election-...2c6f33bee26943

Mondale went on to lose 49 of 50 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 06:01 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,744,856 times
Trump is sounding more desperate by the day. He has a busy next couple of weeks ahead.
We should ask him if he wants some cheese with his wine.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,395,744 times
Today's Democrat party are the new Bolsheviks.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-14-2020 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Read post #10 of the P&OC guidelines

Old 10-14-2020, 06:08 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,186,419 times
Having lived through this time perhaps I can help a little with some context. The large crowds they were drawing, especially in the Northeast, were not for Mondale. They were for Geraldine Ferraro, first serious top ticket female, and it was a huge deal - both for good and bad. Which is why Reagan made this comment:
Quote:
'I guess what I'm saying is that movement must be based not just purely on the sex of the candidate but must be based also on the qualifications of the candidate,' Reagan said, adding that the choice was 'kind of reaching.'
Mondale himself was quite uninspiring, especially in comparison to Reagan. You might want to consider the complete picture. One thing I can guarantee you is that this race will not result in a 49-1 landslide, which was stunning at the time. Number wise Trump will win more states, and will have more than 13 Electoral College votes.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Having lived through this time perhaps I can help a little with some context. The large crowds they were drawing, especially in the Northeast, were not for Mondale. They were for Geraldine Ferraro, first serious top ticket female, and it was a huge deal - both for good and bad. Which is why Reagan made this comment:

Mondale himself was quite uninspiring, especially in comparison to Reagan. You might want to consider the complete picture. One thing I can guarantee you is that this race will not result in a 49-1 landslide, which was stunning at the time. Number wise Trump will win more states, and will have more than 13 Electoral College votes.
The point is, Trump is sounding and acting like Mondale, I.e. someone who knows he is going to lose. Trump not only sounds like Mondale but increasingly like Jeb Bush as well. These pathetic “please vote for me” appeals are pleas of a loser. Trump will win more than 13 electoral votes, but he is headed for defeat. Trump acts like it. Trump knows it.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:29 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,202,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
A few days before the 1984 election VP Mondale held a campaign rally in which 100,000 attended.

“Mondale predicted he will win the election next Tuesday, despite polls showing him far behind Reagan. 'I need your help,' he told the crowd”.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/11...3124468133200/

This sounds an awfully a lot like Trump decrying the polls and boasting of his crowd size.

Furthermore, he sounds pathetically like Mondale begging for help:

”So I ask you to do me a favor. Suburban women: Will you please like me? Please. Please”.

https://apnews.com/article/election-...2c6f33bee26943

Mondale went on to lose 49 of 50 states.
But Reagan wasn’t an old man with dementia..Joe can't walk and talk. President Trump is amazing..Biden is dull and witless

Old 10-14-2020, 06:31 AM

30,085 posts, read 18,698,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The point is, Trump is sounding and acting like Mondale, I.e. someone who knows he is going to lose. Trump not only sounds like Mondale but increasingly like Jeb Bush as well. These pathetic “please vote for me” appeals are pleas of a loser. Trump will win more than 13 electoral votes, but he is headed for defeat. Trump acts like it. Trump knows it.
In your dreams.

Like 2016, the dems have completely misread the electorate. Why? They listened to a small fraction of the vocal, far left radicals and presumed that was the will of the nation.

BLM and ANTIFA already gave the election to Trump; we are just arguing about the margin now. Why do you think they put up Biden as a candidate? A candidate who has lost an election will not be put up again. Biden, due to his age and health issues, is in his last political race. The dems are "keeping their powder dry" by not sacrificing one of their younger potential candidates.

Mondale did not have NATIONAL rallies with massive numbers of people. His appeal was very, very narrow and only in certain areas. Having lived through it, I can tell you there was ZERO enthusiasm for Mondale, just like Biden.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
But Reagan wasn’t an old man with dementia..Joe can't walk and talk. President Trump is amazing..Biden is dull and witless
Lol..Biden is a helluva lot more coherent than Reagan was.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:32 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,202,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Trump is sounding more desperate by the day. He has a busy next couple of weeks ahead.
We should ask him if he wants some cheese with his wine.
Poor Biden is sounding dumber everyday..he can barely remember who he is..a few days ago he wants sure what state he was in, thought Trump won twice already lol that was a good one, and he thought he was running for the senate

Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 AM

I should have been more careful equating Trump with Mondale. Trump is not a fraction of the man that Mondale was. Mondale would never have questioned the integrity of our elections or foster lies of voter fraud.

Sorry Walter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies