Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:24 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,425,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
My new girlfriend and I are both keeping it a secret that we are going to vote for Trump: her more than I. She is a school speech therapist and has seen first hand the damage of kids not getting therapy at all for months and now only online therapy for the kids who need it and the mask harassment of people who can't wear them for medical reasons and the trouble the hard of hearing are having with not being able to see people's mouths anymore. She can't be open because the school district staff would eat her alive and harass her if they knew. Her parents would be upset too as they are die hard liberals. We are both going to vote in person on November 3rd. A few of my friends know and I also told my own parents and they are okay with it but I won't go around holding a Trump sign or anything. I am a person of color and an engineer so I could probably get away with being a Trump voter more than she can. We both live in the very liberal Silicon Valley so we realize that things may be different in other parts of the U.S.
Would you, or she, lie to an anonymous pollster about who you're voting for, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 AM

494 posts, read 180,773 times
Personally I think it goes both ways and you have shy Trump and shy Biden voters. Not many people at all walk around talking politics and most people don't put up signs or stickers or whatever. Usually if you get into a conversation with someone and politics comes up you just go along with whatever they are saying unless you're looking to get into a heated debate. For example, I ran into my neighbor the other day and somehow the conversation turned to Trump. He loves the guy. You know what I did..........I nodded my head, agreed with everything he was saying and agreed that having Biden in the WH would be awful. Am I voting for Trump, not a chance in hell. I just didn't feel like getting into it with him over politics. Most people are not so out there in terms of their political beliefs and if they are it's easier just to go along with it and do your talking with your ballot.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:36 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Would you, or she, lie to an anonymous pollster about who you're voting for, though?

Nope: we both would hang up on any pollster the same way we hang up on telemarketers.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,523,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
I saw a thread earlier saying how the polls are getting it wrong due to Trump voters being shy to express their true feelings.[snip] Thoughts?
Not a myth. Trump voters and Independents are less likely to respond to polls and answer honestly than Democrats.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:33 PM

5,594 posts, read 2,324,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Not a myth. Trump voters and Independents are less likely to respond to polls and answer honestly than Democrats.
That's a lame excuse Trump voters keep telling themselves because they see Trump sinking in the polls and they are in denial. So they make up some tale to justify in their minds that Trump really is ahead and the polls are faulty.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:34 PM

8,107 posts, read 12,837,381 times
My Mom doesn't talk to some of her children about her vote due to the fact they are rabidly anti-trump. She talks to me about it because she knows I am indifferent to the left/right battles. (I have made it clear I am voting third party)

People are being physically attacked for wearing Trump hats whereas I have yet to see a person wearing Biden apparel being assaulted. Why would anyone planning to vote Trump advertise the fact. Plenty of stories about people attempting to steal Trump yard signs but not so much the Biden yard sign problems.

In certain areas of our country a wise person would not openly discuss their support for Trump due to possible repercussions. All that matters is the vote they place that nobody will see.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,392,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My Mom doesn't talk to some of her children about her vote due to the fact they are rabidly anti-trump. She talks to me about it because she knows I am indifferent to the left/right battles. (I have made it clear I am voting third party)

People are being physically attacked for wearing Trump hats whereas I have yet to see a person wearing Biden apparel being assaulted. Why would anyone planning to vote Trump advertise the fact. Plenty of stories about people attempting to steal Trump yard signs but not so much the Biden yard sign problems.

In certain areas of our country a wise person would not openly discuss their support for Trump due to possible repercussions. All that matters is the vote they place that nobody will see.
I am shocked. I thought Tennessee was solid Trump country!

Old 10-13-2020, 05:30 PM

8,107 posts, read 12,837,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I am shocked. I thought Tennessee was solid Trump country!
Tennessee is. My siblings live in Michigan and Maryland. Mom is in New York. I'm in Tennessee.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,810,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yep.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:37 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,527,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
But here’s what you don’t understand.

My boss is a full blown TDS afflicted rabid liberal who believes all Trump supporters are white supremacist racists.

My boss and I have a great working relationship and he is very skilled at his job. However, he openly talks about how evil trump and his supporters are and I don’t ever disagree with him.

If he ever found out I was a trumper, I am absolutely sure he would suddenly believe I was a mouth breathing racist moron. And just like that there’s suddenly a target on my back whenever layoffs come around.

I have absolutely no choice but to bite my tongue and agree when he spouts off his TDS nonsense, anything else is professional suicide.

I’m not alone here, this is happening across the country.
I agree. My boss does this too. They talk like we all agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies