Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM

6,436 posts, read 3,599,295 times

Advertisements

Cardale Jones went to a Pence rally and he’s getting eviscerated for it. If he would’ve went to a Harris rally, nobody would’ve even noticed or cared since he’s really a minor celebrity athlete.

So there is no doubt that some people have to hide their Republican political affiliation. The question is: how many? Enough to make the polls completely wrong? I don’t think anybody really knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 PM

21,422 posts, read 7,531,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
I saw a thread earlier saying how the polls are getting it wrong due to Trump voters being shy to express their true feelings.

However, is the the shy Trump supporter/voter a myth?
Yeah, they are anything but shy. Mostly they are 'in your face' obnoxious around where I live, and on the internet they are very vocal. Anonymity makes people bolder, not more shy.

I can not imagine these people being 'shy' when polled over the phone where the person taking down the information can't even see them, doesn't know them and wouldn't be able to pick them out of a crowd if their life depended on it. It does not compute.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:19 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,832,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The fact that everyone in your life thinks the exact opposite of what you do should be kind of telling. I can see maybe having your family not having the same beliefs. Or maybe a boss/coworker. But everyone you know?

Might want to look into this. Or move. I can't imagine having to hide all of my feelings and thoughts because everyone around me would judge and condemn me. Sounds awful. Kinda like being gay and in the closet.
Nope, you're wrong. Actually all of the people he associates with are idiots....Not his fault

Old 10-12-2020, 07:24 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,832,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Yeah, they are anything but shy. Mostly they are 'in your face' obnoxious around where I live, and on the internet they are very vocal. Anonymity makes people bolder, not more shy.

I can not imagine these people being 'shy' when polled over the phone where the person taking down the information can't even see them, doesn't know them and wouldn't be able to pick them out of a crowd if their life depended on it. It does not compute.
Stop thinking 'shy'....not the right word at all. Elusive, evasive, illusive, cagey maybe......
Telling pollsters that you're voting for Biden when you're not...that kind of thing. But no, definitely not shy...the opposite if anything.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:06 PM

606 posts, read 357,817 times
I think it's a myth and here's why.

I live in a deep blue area. My city is not going to go Trump or anywhere near the ball park of going red. This is a fact. However, there is a local news site that's popular on Facebook. Anytime there is a story posted related to anything Covid or political issues (local businesses closing, re-opening of school debates, taxes, etc), the comments section of the Facebook posts is littered with ultra conservative voices and Trump voters. They are pretty abrasive and in your face about their opinions as well. They call our democratic governor and mayor insulting, below-the belt type of names, and post Trump 2020 or MAGA in their posts. Anyone that didn't know any better would think my area was a shoe-in for Trump based on Facebook activity on local news sites, but there's no contest that it will go Biden by a large margin. And because it's Facebook, people are posting under their names and pictures, so not all of them are anonymous troll accounts.

So even in a deep blue area, the loudest voices seem to be Trump voters. That's why I think the "shy Trump voter" is a myth.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:22 PM

4,553 posts, read 1,902,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
I think it's a myth and here's why.

I live in a deep blue area. My city is not going to go Trump or anywhere near the ball park of going red. This is a fact. However, there is a local news site that's popular on Facebook. Anytime there is a story posted related to anything Covid or political issues (local businesses closing, re-opening of school debates, taxes, etc), the comments section of the Facebook posts is littered with ultra conservative voices and Trump voters. They are pretty abrasive and in your face about their opinions as well. They call our democratic governor and mayor insulting, below-the belt type of names, and post Trump 2020 or MAGA in their posts. Anyone that didn't know any better would think my area was a shoe-in for Trump based on Facebook activity on local news sites, but there's no contest that it will go Biden by a large margin. And because it's Facebook, people are posting under their names and pictures, so not all of them are anonymous troll accounts.

So even in a deep blue area, the loudest voices seem to be Trump voters. That's why I think the "shy Trump voter" is a myth.
My existence proves otherwise.

But whatever helps you sleep at night....

Old 10-12-2020, 08:27 PM

606 posts, read 357,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
My existence proves otherwise.

But whatever helps you sleep at night....
It's not about what helps me sleep at night. I really don't care if people support Trump or not, as I can't control or dictate what anyone else thinks or believes. This is America, so you can vote for whoever you want. It's none of my business, and I don't care to make it so.

All I was doing was responding to the question. My answer is admittedly based on anecdotal evidence and not data-driven. It's not meant to be absolutist. I'm merely stating an observation and why I think this is so.

Sorry if that bothers you.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:37 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,076,813 times
I think especially in 2016 there were quiet Trumpers. Maybe they were lifelong Republicans who wanted the Supreme Court nominee or wanted Obamacare ended. Maybe they were independents that didn't like Hillary or perhaps they didn't want a political dynasty. For the second group, this election isn't for them unless they don't like life-long politicians. I don't but I think the outsider proved my fears in 2016 right.

2020 should have been like 2016. Had certain events in 2020 not happened, I am sure that we would be talking about the shy Trump voter. I am sure there still are some but many aren't there. Had Covid not happened, we likely would have a MUCH different 2020 election. I don't think Biden would appease the far-left as much (not that he is doing a lot other than parts of Green New Deal.) I don't think Biden would be as popular. Would he be in some aspects, yes. But I think Covid and the lack of response to the general public turned off many would be shy Trump votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
My new girlfriend and I are both keeping it a secret that we are going to vote for Trump: her more than I. She is a school speech therapist and has seen first hand the damage of kids not getting therapy at all for months and now only online therapy for the kids who need it and the mask harassment of people who can't wear them for medical reasons and the trouble the hard of hearing are having with not being able to see people's mouths anymore. She can't be open because the school district staff would eat her alive and harass her if they knew. Her parents would be upset too as they are die hard liberals. We are both going to vote in person on November 3rd. A few of my friends know and I also told my own parents and they are okay with it but I won't go around holding a Trump sign or anything. I am a person of color and an engineer so I could probably get away with being a Trump voter more than she can. We both live in the very liberal Silicon Valley so we realize that things may be different in other parts of the U.S.
I get the feeling. I make it rather known I work in special education with children who have behavior issues. These kids I have expected some to come out of lockdowns for the better of the past few months with more behaviors when we returned. When we did return, only a handful did. We had a few behaviors during learning labs while we had remote learning, but for the most part it was fine. The few that have, had issues at home (either new or ongoing), not just being locked down. Now I am not saying the lockdowns haven't effected kids or whatever, but I haven't seen it but as I said, I expected it to. I think only one student I have worked with had things worse due to the lockdown, though he has had problems in the past.

I have not seen mask-shaming at all. That said, I am not as involved with other classrooms as I was this time last year so maybe it does happen, I'm not sure. Not by me being more wary, just that we are trying to keep as in the class as possible to limit quarantining, if a positive case were to happen. I have noticed that some students have issues keeping masks on. Which I get, I have issues wearing them for seven+ hours a day for work. Basically I have to have mine on unless I'm drinking water, eating something or outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think it's a myth. If anything, shy voters are more likely to vote for Biden. In my county north of Houston, we have a weekly Trump train in which a long line of giant trucks proclaim their undying affection to the Trump god and their faith in his victory. Trump signs and flags are all over the neighborhood. People wear Trump t-shirts. They post threads on Nextdoor about how great he is and how patriotic Trump supporters are. There is even a restaurant called Trump Cafe a couple of hours away! My area is not unique. Biden voters seem to be less blatant about their political views. I see signs, and that's it. Of course we'll discover how true that is when the election results come in.
As stated above, I do not think it is an issue in 2020 as much as it was in 2016. I do however see about as many Trump shirts and flags if not more. I think some of it is out of desperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
If polled I'd say I'm a biden supporter. No hesitation at all.
Are you really? This time four years ago (we are in my school district's fall break) I was in line for a lab and overheard one red-hatter and someone who was like-minded but didn't wear any MAGA gear. They both talked about fake news. One said that they were polled and lied to the polster by saying they weren't a Trump supporter. The point is, it is easy to say something but very hard to be truthful.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 AM

17,625 posts, read 9,411,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Shy is a misnomer - the word is smart. They know better than to get into it with leftist morons.
I’m very familiar with my Election Precinct... I vote in all Elections and often chat with the Lady that runs the Elections in my area. Heavy turnout and over the last 40 years, there are very, very few Democrats at the Primary Elections. This is a heavy Republican Precinct.

All that said - I don’t put up signs in my yard until Election Day. The one time I tried it, my yard was vandalized. People have to be very careful when dealing with Leftists ... all the Cities with the Riots are living that danger now.

A walk around my neighborhood shows about 10 Trump signs and 2 Biden signs - they are mostly at homes purchased in the last couple of years. The Nextdoor online group for my neighbors and for my City shows some really vicious Pro-Biden people to immediately attack any Pro-Trump people. I make note of any Leftists in my neighborhood... always wise to know who is an agitator. We all learned a big lesson in 2008.
Don’t discuss with anyone who you support or will Vote for.

Other than all that ... We all walk or drive to the Polls and Vote .... it’s Private & it’s Safe.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:16 AM

5,936 posts, read 4,729,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
There are all kinds of reasons for Trump's unlikely 2016 win, and I think one of them is that his supporters knew what an awful guy he was and were embarrassed to admit they liked him. I'm not sure what the situation is now. Obviously there's a lot more to be embarrassed about, but I think they've found mutual support in each other, and it seems to me that Trumpers avoid anti-Trump information, so they can cling to him.
I agree with the premise. We saw undecideds break for Trump 2 to 1 vs Clinton. However, that still was just a tiny fraction of the undecided vote. Most of them went third party in the end.

Personally, I think the 2018 Midterms were very telling. 2018 was a sharp rebuke against Trump. Sure, they picked up Senate seats but we have to keep in mind that 2018 was never considered to be a good year for Democrats to pick up seats. Just getting to 50 was considered a stretch goal, let alone 51. They did defend some seats but the only one that stings was Florida since it was so close.

Now, Trumpers will say "Trump wasn't on the ballot in 2018!" and they wouldn't be lying. He wasn't. Obviously.

However, America overwhelming decided to put a check on Trump's power when they handed Democrats a large majority in the House. Trump can't govern as effectively if he doesn't have the House and Senate too. America said "we don't want Trump to have that power." It seems more likely that America will give Trump another sharp rebuke on November 3rd than the fantasies that Trumpers have surrounded themselves with.

Republicans were trailing in the polls in 2018 and the polls nailed the Midterms. And the polls nailed 2012, 2008, 2004, 2000, 1996, 1992, etc etc. Yet for whatever reason, we are supposed to believe Trump is going to pick up more Electoral Votes than in 2016?

That truly is the definition of delusional:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford
Delusional: characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
There really is no rational argument right now for Trump to win. And the idea that he will win is contradicted by reality. That's not to say things can't change between now and November 3rd.

Truly, I think the only reason Trumpers still think Trump will win is because of legal battles, not because he actually wins the election. And again, voter fraud... is delusional. See definition above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies