Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 04:49 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times

Advertisements

Commission cancels second debate between Trump and Biden. After the commission insisted on a virtual format which Trump rejected, Biden announced he would do a solo town hall style interview. The commission then decided to cancel the debate altogether.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/09/polit...led/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Good.

Now the Trump and Biden campaign can get together without the interference of the Commission, and plan and schedule their own debates.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Default Trump backs out of second debate

I'm not sure that's a bad idea.

If the moderator actually had control of Trump - that is, he wouldn't be allowed to interrupt in any fashion, and he'd likely be off-camera during Biden's speaking turn, it would completely diminish his appeal to his followers.

Add to that, it would come to light that he was still contagious if the Debate Committee insisted on a virtual instead of face to face debate, something Trump is trying to pretend isn't true.

It would be a lose-lose.

Trump does best when he can speak to a crowd that is exclusively his followers, completely uninterrupted except for explosive applause that he thrives on.

And so Biden immediately scheduled his now open evening for a town hall meeting hosted by ABC, and the Trump campaign said oh wait wait wait we'll reschedule for later. Um, no, this one is scrapped.

See him on the 3rd debate, I guess.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/na...0-8cf59af68f22

Old 10-09-2020, 05:43 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Yeah, from Trump's position chickening out is the smart move.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,104,011 times
Just give him 30 minutes and he’ll probably change his mind.
He’s rolling on steroids.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Just give him 30 minutes and he’ll probably change his mind.
He’s rolling on steroids.
He already did change his mind, sort of, and asked for a reschedule.

They said no.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:50 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Oh, great --

Not only do we miss out on more popcorn entertainment, but the last POTUS * debate will be the one that is left on the minds of people in other countries. They must be shaking their collective heads at what a travesty our election system is to have those two as the major candidates.

I don't know whether to be more ashamed or embarrassed for our country -- I think it is a tie.

*Added on Edit, although I don't think the VP debate was much better.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-09-2020 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 05:54 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, great --

Not only do we miss out on more popcorn entertainment, but the last debate will be the one that is left on the minds of people in other countries. They must be shaking their collective heads at what a travesty our election system is to have those two as the major candidates.

I don't know whether to be more ashamed or embarrassed for our country -- I think it is a tie.
Who give a care what other countries think? They've got their own issues, their own agendas and a whole lot of jealousy. I will never be ashamed or embarrassed by my country. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than most.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:55 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Oh, great --

Not only do we miss out on more popcorn entertainment, but the last debate will be the one that is left on the minds of people in other countries. They must be shaking their collective heads at what a travesty our election system is to have those two as the major candidates.

Are you talking about the VP debate being remembered as the last debate or the first presidential debate being remembered as the last debate? The VP debate was a snoozer compared to the presidential debate but they were both memorable in different ways. I actually heard what Pence's voice sounds like. I agree with you. The two candidates are pathetic and our system of "government" is almost as bad. We'll be counting it as a big win if a guy who's 12 years past retirement age and promised "nothing will fundamentally change" beats a bankrupt failed reality TV star who gets his entertainment by spreading COVID to as many people as possible. Hooray for America!

Old 10-09-2020, 05:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
They all agreed to an in-person debate... The commission broke that agreement... Not a big deal, debates usually don't do anything, if anything it makes Biden less memorable, which is a good thing... And a bit ironic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies