Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 06:18 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,136,894 times

Advertisements

Probably like 20,000 in reality. Everyone else was possibly accelerated death, but we are talking a month or so. Very unhealthy people are at risk like the flu. Everyone else should just live and enjoy themselves. Not to mention keep the economy going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 06:34 PM

37,372 posts, read 41,657,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
It really doesn't matter until we have an excess deaths number for the year. Why anybody would ask the question, when the "COVID only killed 10K people" that came out a month ago is beyond me.

I will add - the "Covid killed multiple members of my family" is amazing, since with 187MM households, only ~0.1% of them would see a single death. And to think so many people on CD have multiple family deaths - what are the odds? 0.1% is 1000-1. Is multiple people > 2,000-1?
There was no "COVID only killed 10K people". The data that figure is being taken from included all COVID-19 deaths, including those who had comorbidities. All of the people in the CDC article died from COVID-19.

Cases are not distributed evenly throughout the population so neither will deaths be. Those people with multiple losses live in areas harder hit with a larger number of cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Probably like 20,000 in reality. Everyone else was possibly accelerated death, but we are talking a month or so. Very unhealthy people are at risk like the flu. Everyone else should just live and enjoy themselves. Not to mention keep the economy going.
The average 80 year old in the US has an average life expectancy of nine to ten years, so, no, we are not talking "a month or so". There is a reason people live to be 80.

Some of those you categorize as "everyone else" are not doing well even if they survive being infected. "Everyone else" is not enough people to keep the economy going.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:42 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,133,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Most people die with "contributing factors."

Very few of us "die of old age."

Very few....
No one dies of old age, we all die of something. But when someone is very old, something inevitably kills them. A stroke, heart attack, some organ failure, etc their bodies are falling apart.

Because Covid19 is a brand new virus, it's ripping through the population. And as a result infecting many people on death's door, and just giving them a light nudge to the other side. While technically this death is due to Covid19, not really as everyone knows something else would have killed them within a short period of time.

Something not brought up in this thread is what happens if someone tests + for the flu and Covid19 at the same time (happens all the time), and dies of pneumonia? They will be counted as a Covid19 death when it might be the flu that actually killed them. Most of the people I know who got Covid19 described their symptoms as more minor than when they get the flu. Only a few had a rougher time - I know at least two dozen people who had it at this point.

Sure, since it's a new virus, every so often you get some healthy person having a tough time and even dying. But it won't be a new virus after 1 year, and the sooner we get it, the sooner we all build some immunity for it.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My friends Dad died of 'Covid' but had diabetes and heart issues. If he was a bit healthier he would of lived.
My Dad was diagnosed with diabetes and heart disease at the age of 46.

He lived till 81.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:01 PM

37,372 posts, read 41,657,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
No one dies of old age, we all die of something. But when someone is very old, something inevitably kills them. A stroke, heart attack, some organ failure, etc their bodies are falling apart.

Because Covid19 is a brand new virus, it's ripping through the population. And as a result infecting many people on death's door, and just giving them a light nudge to the other side. While technically this death is due to Covid19, not really as everyone knows something else would have killed them within a short period of time.

Something not brought up in this thread is what happens if someone tests + for the flu and Covid19 at the same time (happens all the time), and dies of pneumonia? They will be counted as a Covid19 death when it might be the flu that actually killed them. Most of the people I know who got Covid19 described their symptoms as more minor than when they get the flu. Only a few had a rougher time - I know at least two dozen people who had it at this point.

Sure, since it's a new virus, every so often you get some healthy person having a tough time and even dying. But it won't be a new virus after 1 year, and the sooner we get it, the sooner we all build some immunity for it.
If you were going to die of a stroke or a heart attack next month but you died today because of infection with the coronavirus, it is still the coronavirus that killed you. Far fewer of the people who are dying with COVID-19 were on death's door than you want to believe. Average life expectancy in the US is nine to ten years at age 80.

Coinfection with flu and the coronavirus can happen, but not "all the time". Death could be attributed to the combination of both; it is not necessary to choose one.

The only way to "build immunity" is to get it yourself. Other people being infected will not do it.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 PM

13,733 posts, read 9,080,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
My Dad was diagnosed with diabetes and heart disease at the age of 46.

He lived till 81.

What is your point? I developed type I diabetes 30 years ago, at age 34 or so. So, what are you suggesting?

Old 10-10-2020, 07:13 PM

57,398 posts, read 26,458,152 times
The current deaths as in many pandemics is underreported as if 200,000 isn’t enough.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:18 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,133,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you were going to die of a stroke or a heart attack next month but you died today because of infection with the coronavirus, it is still the coronavirus that killed you. Far fewer of the people who are dying with COVID-19 were on death's door than you want to believe. Average life expectancy in the US is nine to ten years at age 80.
Yes, I know. That's why I said "technically caused" by Covid19, but not really. That's why we use the phrase "old age killed them" because we know these people are falling apart, and it's just a matter of time. I'm not talking about an average 80 year old, but those bed ridden folks in the nursing homes that make up over 50% of Covid19 deaths.

Quote:
Coinfection with flu and the coronavirus can happen, but not "all the time". Death could be attributed to the combination of both; it is not necessary to choose one.
It happens a lot of the time. And will be counted as a Covid19 death on these death tally tickers kept by the various orgs.

Quote:
The only way to "build immunity" is to get it yourself. Other people being infected will not do it.
I'm not taking precautions, but I don't seem to be able to catch it either. Even in presence of friends who later tested +, I never even had a sniffle.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 PM

1,129 posts, read 474,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
When people want to deny or cast doubt on the number of deaths attributed to Covid, why don’t they ever respond to this data when presented with it? They just keep posting these anecdotal stories about death certificates, etc.

To me, it’s very simple. We have an excess of 200,000 deaths when compared to averages of previous years. What are we to attribute that to if it’s not Covid? How can people possibly explain that away?

And why won’t the deniers respond to the number of excess deaths when presented with it?
There was excess deaths for 2 months, April and May then deaths normalized and some weeks have actually been below average since the end of May.

Unfortunately US data is not released for at least a year so it’s easy for those that want to, to mislead the public with statements and graphs of deaths but hide the actual number of deaths creating fear and control that wouldn’t be there had the public have access to the real facts.

If anyone here is interested in real facts then please download the weekly data for England and Wales, https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nglandandwales

This is the actual data for a population of 67 million people, it shows deaths by age, sex and cause of death and compares each week this year to the averages of the previous 5 years.

Since March the data for Covid has also been included, it makes interesting reading and shows clearly at least to me that Covid does not warrant the response it’s currently getting.

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on this ?

Last edited by britinspain; 10-10-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2020, 07:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
What is your point? I developed type I diabetes 30 years ago, at age 34 or so. So, what are you suggesting?
I'm suggesting people are dying of Covid who still have a long life ahead of them despite any underlying health issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies