Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 09:26 AM

2,495 posts, read 867,838 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles mayor casually envisions successions of two even three lockdowns, lasting months each, over the year, in the name of keeping risk out of your lives.

All while evidence from around the world is showing most people tested SARS-CoV-2 positive are asymptomatic, and had been for some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyqcoC747o

Old 04-07-2020, 09:59 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Well it is odd or should we call it typical that most Government workers are still on the job and getting paid while workers in the private sector have been laid off and there is a real possibility their jobs might never return because the place they worked went out of business.

It is convenient that the Gov. employees are taken care of while the rest of us are scrambling and worried about our futures.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:02 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
It's not just Government Bureacrats and Politicians. It is MEDIA, Academia, School Teachers (mostly government employees), and others. They don't care. Their jobs are safe.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
So, what do all of you propose as a fix ? Should people be able to go back to work, even though it will certainly escalate the spread of this virus ?

I have decided to personally not return to work for an indefinite period of time, but I have prepared and will tighten my belt a little, rather than risk dying or infecting someone else. This is not a game, it is life and death, and the ONLY FIX for this virus is to stay away from others for a while. I am also doing this for my loved ones, who I might also infect if I go to work and get this virus.

Reckless discussions like this one are why so many people are dropping like flies.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
So, what do all of you propose as a fix ? Should people be able to go back to work, even though it will certainly escalate the spread of this virus ?

I have decided to personally not return to work for an indefinite period of time, but I have prepared and will tighten my belt a little, rather than risk dying or infecting someone else. This is not a game, it is life and death, and the ONLY FIX for this virus is to stay away from others for a while. I am also doing this for my loved ones, who I might also infect if I go to work and get this virus.

Reckless discussions like this one are why so many people are dropping like flies.
You have to "tighten your belt a little" and you have prepared.

Rather cavalier of you.
Many people have nothing. They were out of capital after a week. Their landlords cant evict them for now, but that wont last past June 1st.
Utility companies will give them a month at most.
Food banks are distributing their usual fare. Expired cans of beets and yams.

You would probably suggest some people arent taking the virus seriously.

I would suggest YOU and these officials arent taking seriously what its like to be flat broke, hungry, and tossed out on the streets- at the same time as millions of others, so normal safety nets are all used up.

This is also life or death. People rob people to feed themselves, their partners, their babies.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:26 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Given what we now know of this virus, yes, absolutely.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You have to "tighten your belt a little" and you have prepared.

Rather cavalier of you.
Many people have nothing. They were out of capital after a week. Their landlords cant evict them for now, but that wont last past June 1st.
Utility companies will give them a month at most.
Food banks are distributing their usual fare. Expired cans of beets and yams.

You would probably suggest some people arent taking the virus seriously.

I would suggest YOU and these officials arent taking seriously what its like to be flat broke, hungry, and tossed out on the streets- at the same time as millions of others, so normal safety nets are all used up.

This is also life or death. People rob people to feed themselves, their partners, their babies.
Those same people you say "have nothing" are a lot of times responsible for their own situations. Just because they are broke, doesn't give them the right to go around spreading this virus to others.

This is no game here, it is a very serious situation and calls for serious solutions.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Given what we now know of this virus, yes, absolutely.
What is it that you "now know" about this virus that makes it ok to go back to work and expose yourself and others to it ? You must know something I do not.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Those same people you say "have nothing" are a lot of times responsible for their own situations. Just because they are broke, doesn't give them the right to go around spreading this virus to others.

This is no game here, it is a very serious situation and calls for serious solutions.
You could use the same sweeping generalization to be callous toward some coronavirus victims. They didnt practice social distancing, or they smoked, or didnt eat right.

The fact is people are gonna get hurt both ways here and the people in charge making these decisions arent being hurt by them. Theyre drawing full pay to often stay at home and do a fraction of the work they were doing.

My GF is a school teacher. First grade. She herds thirty kids around all day, alone. Shes on the edge of burnout by spring every year. She celebrated when this started, her contract guarantees her full pay. She got a months vacation and this week started computer learning. So shes working hard but still easier than it was.

So its real easy for mayors and governors to force strict measures upon us, they are in no position of hardship whatsoever, many are in vacation mode.

It comes down to each persons individual interests. 25 year olds, 35 year olds with families, are only going to suffer so long, see their futures flushed away, to save the lives of 70 to 90 year olds, for so long. Many who lived full lives, or had only a few years left with marginal quality of life anyway.
(Yes there are younger at risk but its not significant)
We are all in this together, right? The suffering of many, for the lives of a few? That obviously works both ways.

Should 30 million plunge into the abyss of long term poverty, which would see a decade taken off the lives of a percentage of them- say 20 percent, or 6 million- so that 3 million, now living, can live another decade?

I am not sure that I am comfortable that those making a lot of these decisions, or providing input to those who are, do not share the hardship, or worse, enjoy paid partial or full vacations by their own choice.

Bizarrely, one way it could play out if it were any kind of other crisis- angry, desperate, hungry people taking to the streets in mobs of protest, is out of the question.

This is why officials are showing the audacity they are. Theyre playing the role of bullies. Social distancing wasnt enough. They cant allow a single person sitting in a field in a park alone with 100 yds distance. Police and lifeguards furiously chase down a single surfer and arrest him. They forced stores with essential services to close at absurdly early hours, so anyone on the streets after dark sticks out. Now they are accosting and ticketing them. I stopped at a 7/11 to buy gas the other night, they close now at 11. Why? Theres no reason for that.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
What is it that you "now know" about this virus that makes it ok to go back to work and expose yourself and others to it ? You must know something I do not.
People are changing personal habits. Wearing masks. Using hand sanitizer
Practicing social distancing. Not sharing crack pipes with each other. Minimizing large public gatherings.

People going to work tomorrow would not spread it so easily as 2 months ago.

The fact is there no way the current policy is sustainable. Italy, as its been before, is becoming our fortune teller.
Desperate, hungry people are robbing people walking out of the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.