Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times

Advertisements

i read this intresting article on how there really is no gas shortage and even though we are using less gas, prices are going up

They see speculation in the market, I see decline in global inventories. I don't think this is a big surprise, that we've had a jump in price when there has been a decrease in crude inventories."— Energy Secretary Sam Bodman, Bloomberg News, Mar. 5, 2008

"It should be obvious to you all that the [gasoline] demand is outstripping supply, which causes prices to go up." — President George W. Bush, Associated Press, Mar. 5, 2008

One wonders if verifiable facts ever get in the way of this administration's statements on issues that are critical to the average American's wellbeing.

MOD CUT

There Is No Gas Shortage (http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/apr2008/bw2008041_945564_page_3.htm - broken link)

Last edited by NewToCA; 04-23-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Great news, isn't it? An economy based on profiteering. A few strike it rich, and the rest go down the dumper. Welcome once again to the latest version of laissez-faire, free-market capitalism. This has all really worked out so well for us...I'm sure we can all agree on that...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Nonsense, the big bad boogie man is Americans driving gas guzzlers.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM

413 posts, read 782,426 times
Oil: How High from Here?

Quote:
But some traders are betting that low interest rates, a feeble dollar, and robust demand from China and India will keep demand for energy stoked and prices high. Fadel Gheit, senior energy analyst for Oppenheimer (OPY), says unless the U.S. government steps in to rein in speculators' power in the market, prices will just keep going up. He says the U.S. has been "unable or unwilling" to regulate oil markets, which proves a convenient way to contain the growth of China and spur energy conservation in the U.S.

"We're tolerating high prices for a reason," says Gheit. "No one has the courage to give us the bitter medicine of high taxes, so speculators have control of this market. There is no conductor on this train."

Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Define "Gas Guzzler"

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 AM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
So you are saying we have to put a cap on how many kids we can have in order to fit them in a small compact non gas guzzler? Not fair. Just because some Americans own large vehicles, they aren't doing it for the joy of guzzling gas. If I could own a small car that would be great, I would. I have 4 kids, 3 in car seats of some sort that would NOT fit in Honda Accord's backseat at the same time. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. Minivans are not the worst gas guzzler but get similar MPG to SUVs and are FAR from 35 MPG, but it fits our lifestyle, what can we do otherwise? Leave a kid home?

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 AM

413 posts, read 782,426 times
Most mothers with 4 kids on this planet don't have minivans and SUVs. It's your lifestyle, don't blame children.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
I believe we ( world "we")have plenty of gas and oil.

I also believe price is controlled by the oil companies and has nothing to do with any "market". The powers inside the oil companies have no laws to follow, no laws they HAVE to follow, and NO need to divulge the truth about anything to anybody.... and can charge any price they want..... AND control the facts about how much there really is.

Sure, it's stupid to drive an SUV you don't need but even if we could all switch to electric cars tomorrow:

A) Oil companies wouldn't allow it ...they haven't for 100 years and they won't now.

B) Oil is used for a lot more than driving cars.

C) Electric cars use batteries with horrible pollutants(nickel).

D) LOTS of people drive cars that have "good" gas mileage and the price of gas has still gone up.

E) Gas mileage on regular cars and trucks COULD be better but why do you think it isn't? You and I would save money but would the oil companies?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Most mothers with 4 kids on this planet don't have minivans and SUVs. It's your lifestyle, don't blame children.
Families with many children need vehicles that fit the requirements of that family. Often, it is not only the individuals children but, and this is common today, their participation in activities of their children and sharing "duties" with other families such as transportation of not only their children but others to activities such as soccer, little league, scouts and so on.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
That's true. She just happens to have a lifestyle that involves being involved with her kids and taking them places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies