Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 AM

473 posts, read 1,741,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Most mothers with 4 kids on this planet don't have minivans and SUVs. It's your lifestyle, don't blame children.
Ok then. I don't think I did. But please do explain how on earth a family with 4 kids can get around as a family at the same in a car that holds only 5 people unless of course Dad is not around. And if thats the case.. thats ashame, but it should have been mentioned. If its not the case then I am very confused. I am also already done with this post.

L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,217,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Families with many children need vehicles that fit the requirements of that family. Often, it is not only the individuals children but, and this is common today, their participation in activities of their children and sharing "duties" with other families such as transportation of not only their children but others to activities such as soccer, little league, scouts and so on.
You mean in the U.S. .....not ALL countries live this way.

And even in the U.S. if you can't afford a big truck or van you shouldn't have one....and many don't.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 AM

413 posts, read 784,706 times
THE END OF SUBURBIA
Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream.
"We're literally stuck up a cul-de-sac in a cement SUV without a fill-up" - James Howard Kunstler

99.5% of Americans don't know nothing about the petroleum industry, or their government, but they are good sheep, i mean good consumers and good voters.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:58 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,676,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
THE END OF SUBURBIA
Oil Depletion and the Collapse of The American Dream.
"We're literally stuck up a cul-de-sac in a cement SUV without a fill-up" - James Howard Kunstler

99.5% of Americans don't know nothing about the petroleum industry, or their government, but they are good sheep, i mean good consumers and good voters.
Interesting film......I'll have to rent it.

So, Americans are good little sheeple? That know nothing of their own government much less the petroleum industry? Unlike who...the French?

There may be some truth to the 'sheeple' argument, but at least we don't have racial/religious riots in our streets on a regular basis. Anyways, the American public is waking up....look at how people are more involved in this election.

Last edited by camping!; 04-24-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM

5,525 posts, read 14,003,868 times
If we Americans were more foresighted, we would have raised the gas tax modestly back when gas was near $1/gal (say 30-40 cents per gallon) and invested in quality mass transit. This would have decreased the demand for gasoline, resulting in a lower price today. Additionally, it would have decreased traffic congestion so that those who continued to drive would have benefitted from lower prices and less traffic.

Of course, we didn't do this because cheap gas is a God-given right, or something like that.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's true. She just happens to have a lifestyle that involves being involved with her kids and taking them places.
My parents always had small cars for my brother and me, and he had a wheelchair too. I understand if you have 4 kids, you need something bigger. But I see so many people with one or two babies who think they require a V-8 SUV. I drive a Prius and it has plenty of room for two baby seats, two adults, a double stroller, and diaper bags.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,007,217 times
There only has to be a perceived shortage of any commodity to driver the prices up and make the speculators richer until the prices bring the smaller investors into the game. Then the speculators dump the futures onto the little guys and take out the profit before the prices drop to a sustainable level.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:37 AM

30,975 posts, read 21,769,569 times
People might as will learn how to make a killing in the oil futures market to pay for the high cost of gasoline. Boone Pickens made 1 and a half billion dollars doing it in 2006 and gave some of it to Oklahoma State to finish the west side of its stadium and for a new athletic village.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,374,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You mean in the U.S. .....not ALL countries live this way.

And even in the U.S. if you can't afford a big truck or van you shouldn't have one....and many don't.
Yes - the United States.

"Big truck"? What are you talking about? Pickups and a majority of SUV's are not "Big Trucks"!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM

24,908 posts, read 39,374,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My parents always had small cars for my brother and me, and he had a wheelchair too. I understand if you have 4 kids, you need something bigger. But I see so many people with one or two babies who think they require a V-8 SUV. I drive a Prius and it has plenty of room for two baby seats, two adults, a double stroller, and diaper bags.
Let's see: I have been known to take my two Grandchildren to their soccer meets with several of their team mates - so, there is Grandpa, Grandma, two grandkids, and 3 team mates. Plus all their soccer gear and the Ice Chests for the game refreshments.

Please, put all of this in a Prius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies