Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Is time the United States splits into 2 sides?
Yes 41 28.87%
No 101 71.13%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 AM

8,456 posts, read 4,463,267 times

Advertisements

Why does it appear that English is not the first language of many truly outrageous posts on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,628,063 times
If there was ever a question that we are more divided now than at any time since the Civil War the existence of this thread is the proof. And it all happened when President Orange showed up on the scene, this is not a coincidence.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:51 AM

51,828 posts, read 26,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If there was ever a question that we are more divided now than at any time since the Civil War the existence of this thread is the proof. And it all happened when President Orange showed up on the scene, this is not a coincidence.
This has been in the works since Gingrich and Lee Atwater showed on the scene.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:52 AM

51,828 posts, read 26,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Why does it appear that English is not the first language of many truly outrageous posts on CD?
I've wondered the same myself.

Though I will have to admit, the grammar and syntax has improved a great deal over the last three years.

Some of the 2016 posts sounded like Melania had written them.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,210,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Let's say Congress by tonight does a treaty to split the country into 2 nation-states

Should we accept it or would you protest?
No.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 AM

3,762 posts, read 4,941,523 times
We're fine as we are. There is a reason the country has "two sides". Checks and balances. It is what has and will continue to make us strong.

Sorry for the butt hurt liberals who "lost" the last election. Trump won and he is on track of doing everything he promised and that is why he won. Will he get it all done? No, but neither does anybody. Checks and balances!

One great thing about this country, when the election came and went and it was inauguration day, the transformation was peaceful (perhaps some comical crying). And when Trumps term is over (whether 2020 or 2024) he will transfer powers over peacefully to the incoming president (whether left or right). There are many country's where it doesn't work that way. Just look to our south.

Fact is, we need each other. I am a conservative, and being traditionally center right I believe that is still where the silent majority (such as me ) stay. I don't toe the party line but typically go republican. We can't have a one party country. Those typically don't work. Face it, right or left, there are always wacky ideas tossed about from either side in which it takes the other side to shoot down.

And for those who feel we are more split now, I personally don't think so. We just have the internet and social media where everybody can shoot off there mouth with no repercussions. elderly people and 8 year old kids can argue politics with each other as can any idiot with access to a computer. Proof positive as this idiot even states his opinion every now and then!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM

16,374 posts, read 10,628,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
We're fine as we are. There is a reason the country has "two sides". Checks and balances. It is what has and will continue to make us strong.

Sorry for the butt hurt liberals who "lost" the last election. Trump won and he is on track of doing everything he promised and that is why he won. Will he get it all done? No, but neither does anybody. Checks and balances!

One great thing about this country, when the election came and went and it was inauguration day, the transformation was peaceful (perhaps some comical crying). And when Trumps term is over (whether 2020 or 2024) he will transfer powers over peacefully to the incoming president (whether left or right). There are many country's where it doesn't work that way. Just look to our south.

Fact is, we need each other. I am a conservative, and being traditionally center right I believe that is still where the silent majority (such as me ) stay. I don't toe the party line but typically go republican. We can't have a one party country. Those typically don't work. Face it, right or left, there are always wacky ideas tossed about from either side in which it takes the other side to shoot down.

And for those who feel we are more split now, I personally don't think so. We just have the internet and social media where everybody can shoot off there mouth with no repercussions. elderly people and 8 year old kids can argue politics with each other as can any idiot with access to a computer. Proof positive as this idiot even states his opinion every now and then!
While I agree with the part about checks and balances you lost me when you started blaming liberals. Your President ran his entire campaign on division. Us vs Them has been the clear message from the beginning and blaming liberals for the divide your President clearly was fueling is completely unfair.

We have had the internet and a way to voice our opinion for decades, this is not new. While there was always division under Bush and Obama it was never at this level. Ever. And that's on President Trump.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 AM

6,529 posts, read 4,167,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
While I agree that we are not nor should we split; I like to point out that the 50 year olds that wouldn't fight according to you, just happen to be the gun owner's on the right not the safe-space seeking liberal left. Hypothetically, if you're talking civil war, this 50-year old would fight, and has the knowledge of firearms to do so even as a woman and won't be running off to be comforted in some protected bubble.
No offense gun ownership doesn’t matter. Their is only one country in the world we’re the average gangster age is well above 50, that’s Japan were the youngest members are in their late 30s and early 40s and leadership is in the 60s+, a gang war between two gangs of several thousand people will have 4 deaths in a year be called a crisis and Japan will still put up one of the 5 lowest homicide rates of the year. Thats how nonviolent people that old are, plenty of them own guns,some of them have eve killed people, but after 35 the urge to kill people regardless of whether you have a gun on you or not dies. This means that in a Civil War militant lefties and military would be the key fighting forces, with military members joining whatever group they identify with. Older right wingers with guns are simply not fit on average and desire stability way more than “soyboy” left wingers who are young. Hence people call the anti-fa violent. People seem to have the idea that because people own guns their willing to use them in a civil war, but in a true civil war personal weapons are useless as it becomes more about brutality, and gun owners are old dudes who simply don’t know how to be brutal. Due to the sheer amount of liberal people in important economic zones like cities a straight up split would lead to prosperous coastal city-states like Singapore and only trapped cities like Chicago would be economically screwed. Also it won’t work out like liberal area vs conservative because what is likely to happen is cities with Bases and a large enough suburban and rural conservative population would remain conservative, conservative areas in between two
Very liberal cities would become liberal like Maryland would be liberal as well as coastal Dlorida (Eastern Coast). Both nations would struggle but a nation with very few cities would struggle more than a city-state setup.

https://www.nippon.com/en/features/c...uza-times.html

Look at the link at the Yakuza gang war, 86 clashes and 4 deaths in 2016, exactly same people 30 years ago had 320 clashes and 95 deaths. Even old people fight gang wars peacefully. Hence the fact that gun owners are old doesn’t matter at all for the Republican side their not killing anybody when it comes down to it.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:36 AM

20,407 posts, read 9,894,480 times
It won't happen, but I truly would like it if North America was reorganized, with most of the southwest being given to Mexico, and much of the northern part being given to Canada. In fact, my first choice would be for most of Canada and most of the U.S. to be joined.

Oh, and this is just a "gut" wish with absolutely NO economic or any other kind of statistics or facts to back this wish up, so I am certainly not going to defend this wish.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 AM

20,407 posts, read 9,894,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
BLUEXIT :A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

You go your way, we go ours.

We give up. You win. From now on, we’ll treat the animating ideal on which the United States was founded—out of many, one—as dead and buried.

We give up. You win. From now on, we’ll treat the animating ideal on which the United States was founded—out of many, one—as dead and buried. Federalism, true federalism, which you have vilified for the past century, is officially over, at least in spirit. You want to organize the nation around your cherished principle of states’ rights—the idea that pretty much everything except the U.S. military and paper currency and the national anthem should be decided at the local level? Fine. We won’t formally secede, in the Civil War sense of the word. We’ll still be a part of the United States, at least on paper. But we’ll turn our back on the federal government in every way we can, just like you’ve been urging everyone to do for years, and devote our hard-earned resources to building up our own cities and states. We’ll turn Blue America into a world-class incubator for progressive programs and policies, a laboratory for a guaranteed income and a high-speed public rail system and free public universities. We’ll focus on getting our own house in order, while yours falls into disrepair and ruin.

In short, we’ll take our arrogant, cosmopolitan, liberal-elite football—wait, make that soccer ball—and go home.

For starters, we now endorse cutting the federal income tax to the bone—maybe even doing the full Wesley Snipes and abolishing it altogether. We will raise our state and local taxes accordingly to pay for anything we might need or want. We ask nothing more from you and your federal government. Nothing for infrastructure, or housing, or the care of the poor and sick—not that you gave us much, anyway. All we want is our money, and you can keep yours, dollar for dollar.

We now endorse cutting the federal income tax to the bone. All we want is our money, and you can keep yours, dollar for dollar.

No more Obamacare? Hey, that hot mess was tricked out the way it was mostly to appease you in the first place. Since we have nearly all of the country’s leading hospitals, medical schools, and medical research institutes—and a much healthier population, one that’s happily short on automatic weapons—I’m sure we’ll come up with something better.

Go ahead, keep on voting against your own economic interests to satisfy your need to control other people’s bodies, sex lives, and recreational habits. We’ll be creating cities and states that will defend gay marriage, a woman’s right to choose, and sensible gun control against your intrusive federal judiciary.

Still think FEMA is some kind of liberal welfare scam? Poof—it’s gone! We will never again beg the people you elected to office to help us in the wake of what should have been considered national tragedies, such as September 11 and Hurricane Sandy. Meanwhile, best of luck with all those tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, forest fires, and—all new!—Oklahoma fracking-earthquakes you always seem to be having.

BLUEXIT :A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red
I could totally get behind that!

But it's not going to happen. It would be too difficult to do, plus as I have said often, in my opinion, it is not a matter of state vs. state, but of urban vs. rural, conservatives vs. liberals, and the haves vs. the have-nots -- and almost every single state has a mix of the foregoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies