Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
whats the problem?
are you afraid of God?

If you arent, you should be...the bible is the final authority on all matters.

I thought god was our friend....oh wait, that's dog, not god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:30 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
GOP pushing for bill to REQUIRE 'So help me God' in oaths

I don't know why they bother.

The GOP doesn't know how to govern. They spent two years naming Post Office buildings and nearly nothing else (aside from giving the rich enormous tax cuts), and this is just more window dressing ... another proclamation completely lacking substance, and probably unconstitutional.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is absolutely no evidence of that. It was claimed they were dead when Obama won and the (D)'s held the House and Senate.

That didn't last long.

And repugs said that Dems were done after Obama and look what happened in less than 2 years.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
GOP pushing for bill to REQUIRE 'So help me God' in oaths

I don't know why they bother.

The GOP doesn't know how to govern. They spent two years naming Post Office buildings and nearly nothing else (aside from giving the rich enormous tax cuts), and this is just more window dressing ... another proclamation completely lacking substance, and probably unconstitutional.
Their "trying" on this kind of issue appeals greatly to their ignorant base. Oh I know that awful SCOTUS struck it down. But we TRIED to bring Jebus back to the gubmint.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...e-god-in-oath/

I'm sure next we'll be getting a law requiring the Christian Bible be used for oaths as well. Just another way people of non-Christian faiths and people with no faith at all are considered second class citizens in Trump's America.

Do you think 'So help me God' should be required? Why shouldn't people be able to swear to the deity of their choice or non at all if they are secular? Also isn't this a Constitutional problem? It's pretty clear about that 'no religious tests' thing that Republicans hate so much.
It is government compelled speech it seems. This is almost as bad as the liberals making legislation and regulations that require people use a variety of gender pronouns, or punishment will ensue, such as one of the university systems in Canada has done.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And repugs said that Dems were done after Obama and look what happened in less than 2 years.
Both parties are stupid. They keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. No argument from me.

We keep electing them.........so you can make assumptions about what that says.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
It is government compelled speech it seems. This is almost as bad as the liberals making legislation and regulations that require people use a variety of gender pronouns, or punishment will ensue, such as one of the university systems in Canada has done.
Are there *******s who won't refer to someone they way they want to be referred to regardless of how they feel on the matter? I wonder why such "legislation" would be desirable. ANyway, I have heard no movement toward any such requirement.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

I'm sure next we'll be getting a law requiring the Christian Bible be used for oaths as well. Just another way people of non-Christian faiths and people with no faith at all are considered second class citizens in Trump's America.

Do you think 'So help me God' should be required? Why shouldn't people be able to swear to the deity of their choice or non at all if they are secular? Also isn't this a Constitutional problem? It's pretty clear about that 'no religious tests' thing that Republicans hate so much.
In the US it is our history to allow people to affirm or to swear an oath. That goes back to Quakers not swearing oaths for religious reasons. Note it was for religious reasons, not a lack of religion. There is no reason to change it to stick a thumb in someone else's eye.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:43 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Given the reactions in this thread, at some point ya just gotta ask.... "Am I being trolled?!?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:

That party is nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies