Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 05:16 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,424,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What happened to his "Day 1" action? He's had over 2 years to implement his "Day 1" move. Was it a lie? A fantasy? Or what was it??????

Good question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM

46,459 posts, read 27,328,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What happened to his "Day 1" action? He's had over 2 years to implement his "Day 1" move. Was it a lie? A fantasy? Or what was it??????

Are we holding all politicians to their words now, every single word they have stated? Even dems?

Old 01-30-2019, 05:43 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,391,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Are we holding all politicians to their words now, every single word they have stated? Even dems?
It would be nonsensical to hold politicians to every single word uttered - counter-functional actually.

It's another thing entirely to shutdown the government over a plan not clear. From across the room, I caught the end of a news report on today's wall negotiations. The Republican said something like "all we want is another 46-miles (heard right ???)." The Democrat responded with "we're not opposed to adding sections but we don't want the Trump wall."

So both sides spin, or not ... really hard to tell.

Trump just got chastised by the Senate for his attempt to pull out of Syria without a firm plan. This wall-thing has played out the same way. Boehner criticized Trump today (same broadcast) for the government shutdown, saying the first rule is to have a possible legislative path out. We know that Trump responded as impulsively to Coulter and Limbaugh on the December continuing resolution as he did to Erdogan over Syria. One Coulter/Limbaugh tweet or one Erdogan phone call does it- he's off and running.

That's NOT the same thing as holding politicians to their word.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:29 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,152,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It would be nonsensical to hold politicians to every single word uttered - counter-functional actually.

It's another thing entirely to shutdown the government over a plan not clear. From across the room, I caught the end of a news report on today's wall negotiations. The Republican said something like "all we want is another 46-miles (heard right ???)." The Democrat responded with "we're not opposed to adding sections but we don't want the Trump wall."

Trump just got chastised by the Senate for his attempt to pull out of Syria without a firm plan. This wall-thing has played out the same way. Boehner criticized Trump today (same broadcast) for the government shutdown, saying the first rule is to have a possible legislative path out. We know that Trump responded as impulsively to Coulter and Limbaugh on the December continuing resolution as he did to Erdogan over Syria. One Coulter/Limbaugh tweet or one Erdogan phone call does it- he's off and running.

Another 46 six miles? I would go along with that. As long as it didn't cost $5.7 billion.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:32 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,391,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Another 46 six miles? I would go along with that. As long as it didn't cost $5.7 billion.
I really may not have heard right, though it startled me. There are some individual CBP requests for additional footage in the two digits and the reference may have been to one of those.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM

46,459 posts, read 27,328,200 times
Quote:

Yet, that is what is happening.

Quote:

And trump has backed off the entire wall.

Quote:

Yes, agreed.

Quote:

So, you really think that the coulter/limbaugh tweet really did it, and only them? If I remember correctly, they also commented (cannot hold me to this) with the same type/style response when trump signed the last omnibus bill, yet he still signed it.

Quote:

Sure it is, he stated something and held to it (no matter what anyone said). Others do it all the time, but depending on which side you are on, you have either flip-flopped (R) or evolved (D) in whatever situation is being discussed.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,931,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You make a good point, but we're not talking about a business. We're talking about our government...
Well I am talking about money wasted (from our pockets) for a failing, half-baked idea of trump's. Trump sold himself as a businessman, deal-maker, and builder during his presidential campaign.

Do his voters want trump's self proclaimed talents regarding planning, negotiations, and building of his wall, or not?

Last edited by jojajn; 01-31-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
But in this instance, where is the money going to come from to even get started?
Trump promised us from Mexico.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,810,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...You have no problem giving billions of dollars in aid to corrupt banana republic countries---money that goes into the pockets of the corrupt oligarchy. Yet you get all worked up when it comes to protecting our own borders. That's simply despicable.

Just admit that you want wide open borders.
Where was that stated in the post you quoted?

Personally, I want all foreign aid to stop and that includes what goes to Israel.

Can you say the same?

Old 01-31-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, we are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies