Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I don't use the ignore feature.
I guess if I wanted to ignore people I just wouldn't bother visiting the forum.
I find it kinda mildly entertaining how wound up people get over nothing, I have to admit.
Not sure I've ever read anyone make the same comment I have made many times!

If it isn't a sure sign of confirmation bias, it seems awfully childish to actually use the ignore feature rather than simply pay no attention already. It's as if the emotions are in such a state, they can't even read what they don't want to read! No doubt these are the same people who refuse to talk politics with you if you happen to be of different opinion (like my father-in-law). They are so die-hard about their opinion and so emotional about alternative opinion, they can't handle the fact that people don't agree with them!

We all know the type, but we surely don't learn anything by only listening to ourselves and those who agree with us. Nothing! That might be the bottom-line. They don't want to learn anything. They know what they know and that's it. Usually as well, what they know ain't much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:34 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I've ever read anyone make the same comment I have made many times!

If it isn't a sure sign of confirmation bias, it seems awfully childish to actually use the ignore feature rather than simply pay no attention already. It's as if the emotions are in such a state, they can't even read what they don't want to read! No doubt these are the same people who refuse to talk politics with you if you happen to be of different opinion (like my father-in-law). They are so die-hard about their opinion and so emotional about alternative opinion, they can't handle the fact that people don't agree with them!

We all know the type, but we surely don't learn anything by only listening to ourselves and those who agree with us. Nothing! That might be the bottom-line. They don't want to learn anything. They know what they know and that's it. Usually as well, what they know ain't much!

Precisely!

I mean what are we all here for?
Are we here for discussion or just to blow our own Trumpets? (no pun intended there )

I don't understand why you would come here just to get yourself all wound up and agitated over someone else's opinion. Why do that to yourself? Life is too short.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I do all the time and I'll tell you why. I get sick of people who repeat themselves over and over even though you have addressed their comments over and over. I get sick of people who act like juveniles in here by making personal attacks instead of debating like adults. I get sick of those who have the facts thrown right in their faces but they still remain in denial. Now I don't have to read their posts anymore and it avoids a lot of frustration and anger. I don't mind a difference of opinion but do it with civility and don't deny facts. It's just plain stupid and annoying. A lot of their BS is not over nothing either but important issues we are faced with today as a nation.
It is very easy to agree with your sentiments! I've encountered many people I would put into the category you describe, but I have also found that interesting notions, info, thoughts and opinion sometimes come from where you least expect. Hell, I might be on your ignore list for all I know, but I think you demonstrate more lack of tolerance when it seems you simply can't scan past those comments you deem so less worthy.

I have found that most people who proudly declare they are putting you on their ignore list do so because of differing opinion they are frustrated to consider (as explained in my prior comment). Maybe that's not you, but if I had everyone on ignore that I found repetitive and/or over-the-top extreme, immature and/or just dumb, these threads would be a lot shorter for me!

Hmmm. As much time as I waste in this forum, maybe I need to rethink this whole ignore thing...

Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/...mpromise-trump

Gingrich: Pelosi Is So 'Frightened'-------

Old 01-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Precisely!

I mean what are we all here for?
Are we here for discussion or just to blow our own Trumpets? (no pun intended there )

I don't understand why you would come here just to get yourself all wound up and agitated over someone else's opinion. Why do that to yourself? Life is too short.
Now there's a question I've been asking myself for a long time now...

What are we all here for?

For the most part, I'm really not sure.

Nobody changes their mind about anything, as I have also commented more times than I can count...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html

Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Now there's a question I've been asking myself for a long time now...

What are we all here for?

For the most part, I'm really not sure.

Nobody changes their mind about anything, as I have also commented more times than I can count...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...hat-we-do.html

Don't lose heart.
You don't actually know whether you are making people think or not.
Certainly people are never (or rarely, but sometimes it does happen) going to admit they are wrong on an internet forum (that doesn't mean they haven't thought about it).
But I've made some good friends here with people that have very different views to mine.

The key I find is to not get into slanging matches. Never resort to ad hominem.
Sometimes I'm kind to people that are downright nasty to me and sometimes they appreciate it and it brings them around. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of light here and there.

I don't know that I'm ever out to change anybody's mind, but it's nice when you can at least get them to view things from another persons perspective. We need to be doing a lot more of that in this divided nation.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:04 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Everyone who is anyone is on OG's ignore list. At this point he can only see posters who totally agree with him. He can't tolerate anyone outside his little echo chamber.

Welcome to the club!
Quite a safe-space they've made for them self. Poor little snowflake.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Don't lose heart.
You don't actually know whether you are making people think or not.
Certainly people are never (or rarely, but sometimes it does happen) going to admit they are wrong on an internet forum (that doesn't mean they haven't thought about it).
But I've made some good friends here with people that have very different views to mine.

The key I find is to not get into slanging matches. Never resort to ad hominem.
Sometimes I'm kind to people that are downright nasty to me and sometimes they appreciate it and it brings them around. Sometimes you can catch a glimpse of light here and there.

I don't know that I'm ever out to change anybody's mind, but it's nice when you can at least get them to view things from another persons perspective. We need to be doing a lot more of that in this divided nation.
Reminds me of another quote I used to send to my clients when I served as their Executive Coach...

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

I try, but sometimes I slip, especially in this forum that can be a true test of patience. Also because I sometimes find it somewhat amusing to engage people in ways that seem more their way, but that's "treating people as they are" rather than as they/we ought to be.

I think too that people who have an ignore list should have that list posted up there next to their moniker, so you know if they are even seeing your reply to their comment! Bad enough we waste time thinking we can change someone's mind -- about anything -- even worse if you bother and they don't even see your comment in the first place.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Reminds me of another quote I used to send to my clients when I served as their Executive Coach...

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

I try, but sometimes I slip, especially in this forum that can be a true test of patience. Also because I sometimes find it somewhat amusing to engage people in ways that seem more their way, but that's "treating people as they are" rather than as they/we ought to be.

I think too that people who have an ignore list should have that list posted up there next to their moniker, so you know if they are even seeing your reply to their comment! Bad enough we waste time thinking we can change someone's mind -- about anything -- even worse if you bother and they don't even see your comment in the first place.
That's a great quote!
I'll remember that one. It's very good and very, very true.

I've seen the ignore feature create more problems than it solves.
There's a particularly annoying poster on another sub forum that a lot of people have placed on ignore and announced they have placed on ignore. Said poster then spends all his time slagging them off behind their backs.
As I said I'd rather employ my own built-in ignore feature ie my brain and just ignore the buggers.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:34 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/...mpromise-trump

Gingrich: Pelosi Is So 'Frightened'-------
Did Ryan not send immigration bills to the floor because he was "frightened" of the Freedom Caucus?

Gingrich's observation that Pelosi cannot dictate votes to House Democrats is hardly original. It's even buried here in this thread. Newly elected Democratic Progressives representing their constituents are united in their opposition to the wall.

What will Trump do if he does not get the votes because no one can give them to him? For how long will the government be shutdown for a goal that is empty or null (not reachable)?

The Gingrich proposal is that Pelosi split her party to align with Republicans. A decline is a refusal "to protect America." He asks: "The question is, can they [moderate Democrats] force Nancy Pelosi or get Nancy Pelosi to agree?"

This is profoundly ironic coming from Gingrich because it was HE who devised the Hastert Rule: that the Speaker will not schedule a vote on any bill that does not have majority support within his or her party—even if the majority of the members of the House - in this case including the Republicans - would vote to pass it. (The Hastert Rule is optional but utilized by Republicans; Pelosi more open to minority input has not always followed it.)

Note that he does not put the burden on Trump to convince moderate Democrats but on Pelosi. Now Trump did invite Bluedog Democrats to the WH for that infamous lunch at the beginning of the shutdown. None of them came. So that was a fail.

Pelosi, fix this he says. MAKE THEM LISTEN TO ME - at which point, you can destroy your Caucus. All in the name of a national emergency which is not.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-29-2019 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies