Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 08:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times

Advertisements

1) a larger than expected portion of the American public is highly susceptible to swallowing obvious BS
2) a horrible Dem candidate who ran a stunningly incompetent campaign
3) a rigged system that allows the loser of the vote to take office

America's learning a hard lesson.

Any more easy questions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
1) a larger than expected portion of the American public is highly susceptible to swallowing obvious BS

Any more easy questions?

You summed it up well, plain and simple.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM

937 posts, read 929,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Stuff
Somethin, somethin, Newt Gingrich is the anti-Christ

Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM

8,896 posts, read 5,389,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Number one reason you did not like Hillary, for president? If a man had her qualifications and background, there would have been no question, she would have been a great leader. Your taste is in your mouth, apparently.
If a male candidate sat on his rear during much of the campaign and never even bothered to visit places he expected to vote for him (a la Wisconsin) I would call him a lousy candidate. Should she get a pass on this because she is a woman?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,323,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
The reason Trump won in 2016...

• Trump is a lifelong, ostentatious con artist, provocateur, showman and self-promoter who lies prolifically and without compunction and promises whatever to whomever. He plays on both the hopes and fears of others because he thinks all people are gullible and, as a candidate, he appealed to those who are willing to put self-gain over ethics.
  • He sells them schtick and scams. If something actually accidentally benefits someone other than him and his--oh, well. All hail Trump. (Choke! Choke!)
  • He tapped into a simmering, seething segment of such people in the electorate. There were some legitimately hopeful, hard working people who were willing to sell their soul to the flashy devil to improve their lot. If he had all that Trump wealth, he would trickle some of it down. Then there were the scum emboldened by Trump's own anti-social behavior given a voice, a wink and a nod to rise toward the top--the racists, misogynists, the amoral and ethically devoid.
  • The massive Russian smear campaign to toxify and taint his opponent beyond redemption using clandestine methods and targeting those who believe such conspiracies, confabulations and fabrications.
  • Other Russian disruption of the U.S. electoral process agreed upon by SEVENTEEN intelligence agencies.

• A big unintentional boost by James Comey's email announcements-- TRYING to do the right thing.

• Hillary's campaign. She talked more about the unmet needs of women and children. Authoritarian Trump men wanted to hear about themselves. Women and kids can get in line BEHIND THEM.

Immigration is, to varying degrees, an issue for many Americans. Unlike Trump, who consolidated his base of "build the wallers", Hillary's voters are much more diverse. They would not trust Trump to do much of anything except fluff his hair up in the morning and cheat at golf. Certainly not to "fix" something as complicated as immigration-- INVOLVING HUMAN BEINGS. Hillary's voters are not unilaterally about themselves and hold a range of views on what will remediate immigration. If she suggested any particular action, unlike Trump and his bloc of voters, she wouldn't unite her voters but would have lost some--who knows how many. It takes thoughtful, widely inclusive planning to suggest an agreeable fix for such a deeply ingrained and divisive issue.

Yet, Hillary got three million more votes despite being slammed and smeared right and left with falsehoods. Minus that army of Russians and their trolls working 24/7 to benefit Trump and lure voters to him and the Comey contribution, Hillary would more than likely have gained those 77,000 votes in three key states needed to bridge her way to an electoral college win. And we would have a president that doesn't love chaos, that would have forged coalitions, that would have been a steadying influence with a history of working "across the aisle". And that knew what she was doing. She would not have daily shamed us, weakened us and made us a laughingstock in the world. She wouldn't continue to boggle the mind of the world's citizens about what the hell is wrong with a chunk of our own that finds Trump desirable. And she would have striven to unify and not constantly divide us. What a concept!
Hillary probably would have won those three key states if, you know....she actually campaigned there.
What a concept!
LOL

Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,390,294 times
Quote:
I didn't say everybody. I said some. As I said earlier republicans were not happy with Obama winning and said they would make sure he was a 1 term president
That was Sen. Mitch McConnel, leader of the Senate, who said that right after Obama's Inauguration. He said that the Republican's main goal was to make sure Obama was only a One Term President. He didn't succeed, but the Republicans blocked all Obama's initiatives after the mid-term elections, when the Repubs took back the House. That's why Obama did so many Executive Orders. The Repubs didn't want Obama to have any successes at all. Thankfully, Obama got The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) passed while he still had the Dems in charge.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:39 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,153,150 times
Quote:
Is because Gore lost in 2000. Think about it. Maybe I wrong

But IMO, The controversial 2000 election put the country on the wrong track and is really when the country became so divided. The two parties became less willing to work together. If Gore had won in 2000, Obama most likely would not have rna for President in 2000 and if he did the changes are less likely he would have won in this scenario. Gore may have had a different reaction to 9/11 and not put Soldiers in Iraq.

I think Republicans would have been more willing to work with Gore then Democrats with Bush (and republicans with Obama) because he had been senator then VP for 8 Years. The two parties would not have beame so revengeful and veered so far off course from their original ideology. Instead of coming together and working for the better of the country the two parties (Most in both parties not everyone. there still some good people in the party) they are only looking out for their best interest and have became so corrupt. c

Obama won based on the incompetence of Bush and how unpopular he was because of the Two Wars and lying about WMDs. And then almost sending the country into a near depression at the end of his term. among other things.

It not to say Gore would have been even a great president. he may have ended up being worse than Bush for all we know but things would have likely played out differently and we probably still be a bit more united. Politics may not have became so partisan

I was thinking the exact same thing a few days ago. I think if Gore had one, we would be in a very different world today. And no Trump presidency.

I don't agree with you on all the specifics. The divisiveness predates Gore, and stems from a long-term strategy that experts think may have started with Newt Gingrich in the Clinton presidency, or even earlier. And I think you are certainly wrong with your implication that both parties are equally "vengeful."

But I do think that Gore would not have mired us in Iraq in the same way. Indeed, unlike Bush, Gore might well have been more alert to the initial threat that Bush so famously ignored. I think Gore would have avoided the path that led us to the financial meltdown/recession. Obama might still have become president at some point, but he might not have felt the push to do so when he was so young - he was advised to run then before he had accumulated too much negative baggage. And of course Gore would have focused on the environment.

So I think we'd be in far better shape if Gore had won - and, yes, no Trump.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:40 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
It all boils down to one thing..........anger. A large segment of the population were mad at whatever, and Trump was their way to rub the noses of the establishment in the dirt.

They knew he was crude and rude, and the more he acted like an idiot, the better they liked it. It was the ultimate "We'll show you!" act to elect someone who would offend the status quo daily.
That is true. I notice that among his supporter base, there is no calling out Trump's nasty behavior. I suspect some people either do not care or they are glad that he behaves this way.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Any more easy questions?

I'll add a 4th reason. The voter turnout was lower than the last two elections. I would consider that as well.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:49 PM

39,295 posts, read 27,677,316 times
.. because the Democratic party refused to give many people what they really wanted: Bernie Sanders.

I am not a Sanders fan, but they should have chosen Sanders instead.

The Democrats tried to show that passing judgment on groups of people as a whole was bigoted. And yet that’s exactly what they did by lumping all Trump supporters into a “basket of deplorables”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies