Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:24 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,665,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In fairness, the guy could have driven north to Oregon or East to Nevada and bought as many high caliper clips as he wanted. The CA law wouldn't have mattered.

What is really needed is a background check law on the clips. As it stands now, you walk into a gun store, plunk down cash, and walk out with as many high caliper clips as you can carry. No ID, no nothing. Scary.
Do you know how easy is to make those magazines? And it's not caliper, it's caliber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 04:30 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,031,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Do you know how easy is to make those magazines? And it's not caliper, it's caliber.
No I did not know that. And thanks for the correction--'high caliber clips'--got it.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,232,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
From what i understand, an UZI is full auto (continuous fire), and some are very small, but can accept longer magazines.
Not the ones I buy.

Semi auto, one pull, one shot.

Now, there are mini Uzis, micro Uzi, the Uzi carbine which is the rifle with the stock and long barrel, and then Uzi pistols which are ones which have NEVER had a stock and therefore don't need the long barrel.

Sure there are probably full autos somewhere, like that incident years ago where the instructor allowed the child to shoot one and the climb of the weapon ended up putting a round into the child and killing them.

The ones sold at gun shows, though; not very likely.

Another thing is that the name "Uzi" is not an acronym, Uzi is not like a USP (Universal Self-Loading Pistol); it is named an Uzi for its creator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi

Now maybe it was put in all caps for effect, but please don't mistake it as an acronym.

As far as magazines go on the carbine, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
A .45cal uzi?
They exist, I've seen them on sale.

In fact, years ago, it was the pure Uzi pistol, always had been a pistol, had never had a stock, that was chambered for .45.

Easy enough to find, such as:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788330170

It just wasn't in my interest to go that direction.

Quote:
In fairness, the guy could have driven north to Oregon or East to Nevada and bought as many high caliper clips as he wanted. The CA law wouldn't have mattered.

What is really needed is a background check law on the clips. As it stands now, you walk into a gun store, plunk down cash, and walk out with as many high caliper clips as you can carry. No ID, no nothing. Scary.
Please watch your terminology. A caliper is a tool used in a machine shop, usually. It is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipers

The term is "Caliber".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

EDIT: Sorry, I see someone beat me to it on the terminology. As far as the statement and other errors, just not going to go after it tonight.

I train, I was trained, by the USMC no less, to switch out magazines by touch, to have a round in the pipe when I drop the magazine and insert the new one. So if during a gun fight, which I hope I am never in, if someone appears in the sights while reloading, I still have one more round. If "that's 10, she's reloading, go get her," that's a tactic that is less effective against me.

Are there guns where I can't do that? Unfortunately, yes. My Browning Hi-power is like that that when the magazine is out of the gun, the trigger can't be pulled. They tell me it is a safety feature so people don't shoot themselves while cleaning their gun (not make the error in judgement like in "Rebel Without a Cause"). Others have told me that this feature can be disable.

Which is more important? To have a tool that is operational for what it is suppose to do even if that event is a rare occasion? Or to put in a feature that cripples capability so people don't shoot themselves when they clean, an event (the cleaning) which often happens?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-09-2018 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 05:08 PM

5,480 posts, read 2,143,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

I use Heroin as a great example of this...totally illegal in my state...but we have a major heroin epidemic...so in reality, that should not be possible.

You shouldn't use Heroin...it's not good for you!

Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 PM

19,822 posts, read 10,262,876 times
Quote:
No I did not know that. And thanks for the correction--'high caliber clips'--got it.
Clips and magazines are not interchangeable terms.. magazines are for semi-autos, clips are for revolvers.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:17 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,031,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Clips and magazines are not interchangeable terms.. magazines are for semi-autos, clips are for revolvers.
OK, but now I am really confused. One poster who looks to be expert said that 'high caliber clip' is correct, now you're telling me that it should be 'high caliber magazine?' Which is it?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:18 PM

5,103 posts, read 2,317,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
ABC news this morning had a graphic up that said, "Shooter had an illegal high-capacity magazine that allowed him to shoot more than 10 bullets at once."

Idiots. At least research and understand what you are reporting.
I noticed Diana DeGette won reelection in Colorado. She's the idiot who thought if you banned "high-capacity" magazines that you'd eventually eliminate them all because when you shoot the ammunition in them, you throw the magazine away afterward. The misinformation out there is staggering.

I overheard one of my coworkers talking about the 300+ mass shootings so far this year. I thought about telling her how those were being defined, but couldn't muster the energy. The anti-gunners may win purely due to wearing everyone else down with their ignorance.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 PM

1,412 posts, read 812,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There is a distinct difference between an Uzi and a Glock handgun, not only in appearance, but how they fire. I know this for a fact because I've shot them both. I'd love to know who these people on FB are, because they have no clue what the hell they're talking about.
They are both black and scary looking, that is all that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is not correct, or at least not entirely. You are describing one type of clip (moon/half moon) which is often used to allow revolvers to fire rimless ammunition (the kind semi-autos use).

Rifle clips are used to insert ammunition into a rifle with a fixed magazine.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM

13,137 posts, read 22,912,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The right-wing keeps interfering with California's affairs.

Yep... guess the latest nutbags would have been forced to take literally 3 seconds out of his murder spree to drop and reload a new 10 rounder every so often.

And how dare some right-wing loonies stand in the way of making millions of new felons in CA and/or unlawfully depriving them of their legal private property at the stroke of a pen.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:22 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,232,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
........I overheard one of my coworkers talking about the 300+ mass shootings so far this year. I thought about telling her how those were being defined, but couldn't muster the energy. The anti-gunners may win purely due to wearing everyone else down with their ignorance.

I am rather curious about that number as well. Does anyone have a source for the definition, for where these all happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies