Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:09 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,099,911 times

Advertisements

Sure. You quote a man who was fired for lying, fabricating a report. Character? Ironic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:12 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,099,911 times
They did not. At least not without their fingers in each ear, droning, Nah, nah, nah, nah...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
She said that she believes Dr Ford was assaulted that night or some other night. She said that she found Dr Ford's testimony compelling. However, she said none of the four witnesses could collaborate Dr Ford's story. She said the evidence was not there. Collins just went with the rule of law. I think some of you guys didn't even listen to her speech.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:18 AM

12,148 posts, read 6,678,989 times
As much as many of us feel disturbed by Trump’s sometimes inappropriate behavior and insults, he is teaching the republicans how to FINALLY fight back against the monstrosity that’s become the democrat party.!!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,058,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Kavanaugh showed he had no class with his belligerence. This could very well cost her in the next election.
One of the admirable traits about Collins is that she's fully aware it could cost her any number of future gains, but she did it anyway. She did the right thing regardless of possible consequences to her politically or even personally. She knew that the screamback from all the left and from a segment of women on the right would be loud.

Kavanaugh is in no way less of a judge because his emotions showed so strongly. I'm fully supportive and understanding of his demeanor, and think he will be a very empathetic, thoughtful justice.

Btw, judges in the robe, on the bench, in the middle of deciding cases, ARE NOT up there defending themselves.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 AM

9,655 posts, read 5,447,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I agree.

My grandma had a saying "give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves."

Edit: the door has been looked into. It was a rumor and it's been debunked.
And yet, she testified that this was the reason she and her husband were in counseling "a tiff " about her wanting a 2nd front door in their new home. I have a feeling the tables are going to turn on her, and frankly, I hope she is punished for lying, if it turns out that is what she did. However, I hold out no hope that anyone will pursue it, because it would just add fuel to the fire. Fighting back feels pretty good however, and I will do my best Living in a liberal bastion, though, I'm afraid I might get hurt. not kidding.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:33 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I would be but I can't find this as part of the Women's march anywhere but reported by Fox.
Ummmmm, they tweeted it out?

Old 10-06-2018, 05:35 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,306,005 times
Quote:
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Nope.

Signed,

A woman.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:38 AM

503 posts, read 776,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Ummmmm, they tweeted it out?
Wow - the left continually aligns and supports these loons. Sad.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 AM

14,185 posts, read 8,306,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I would be amazed if Republicans had any interest in investigating Ford's allegations further; can you imagine the horror if they somehow found them to be true.

There is low-hanging fruit - the leaker - whom they will associate with the Democrats (which could well be true) and use that to inflame public opinion.

For they need not address the letter contents and - given how much of the country believed Ford's testimony -would be more than foolish to attack Ford. Sure Trump did, but then that's just Trump. Look at the care that Graham and Collins have taken to classify Ford as a victim and survivor.

The reality is that no one knows what happened between Ford and Kavanaugh but it IS clear that confidential information was leaked, with (whatever Feinstein may have intended to be the final disposition of the information) THAT starting the firestorm.

I agree it's unlikely the Republicans will lead the charge

However the internet buzz and media won't stop digging.

To suggest Dr Ford story is questionable is an understatement. I doubt she ever thought she would end up were she is now.

Her protective bubble is gone and the feeding frenzy is about to begin.

The Republicans will act after she it appears she committed perjury. The Republican base will demand it.

At which point Dr Ford will cut a deal to tell and avoid criminal prosecution on the more serious charges.

Last edited by john3232; 10-06-2018 at 05:58 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 05:57 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,974,206 times
Quote:

Agree with much here, particularly the last.

Also agree Mr. Kavanaugh would NOT be suitable for the job if one is concerned with staying on, or getting back to, 'the right side of history' even if one were only to consider his part in one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time:

Quote:
Citizens United v. FEC (2010):. Perhaps the most hated decision from the Roberts Court, Citizens United held that political donations are speech protected by the First Amendment, opening the floodgates to unlimited personal and corporate donations to "super PACs." Though widely unpopular, the ruling isn't going away anytime soon. It would take a constitutional amendment or a new Supreme Court makeup to reverse the decision.
https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...-all-time.html

Quote:
For 42 years, the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of limiting contributions to candidates, but Kavanaugh’s ruling provided an easy way around the limits — allowing donors to give millions of dollars to support a candidate so long as the money goes to a group “independent” of the candidate. No legislator voted for this topsy-turvy system of campaign financing, and no sane legislator ever would.
Brett Kavanaugh, the man who created the super PAC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.d9ddfa1c0531

Faith in our democracy is at a historic low, & super PACs have become powerful symbols of corruption. The judiciary’s award of First Amendment protection is to legitimize a form of barely disguised bribery. We have been betrayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.