Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 07:49 AM

7,089 posts, read 9,670,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So one of Kavanaugh's friends says he will tell the FBI that Kavanaugh was a vicious drunk at Yale (grown up now). If this proves to be true, then Kavanaugh committed perjury before the Senate. Worse, once a violent drunk always a violent drunk.
If Kavanaugh is a violent drunk, I don't think he would have managed to stay on a federal bench for 12 years or have glowing reviews or passed 6 FBI background checks. Just sayin.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,906,204 times
Y'all. Please. All this is, is a game. Who has the best moves. Who is the most ruthless. Who is thinking four or five steps ahead. It has nothing to do with truth, nothing to do with protecting real victims, nothing to do with honor, not on either side of the aisle.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:54 AM

8,326 posts, read 4,014,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All political parties play dirty and have for decades, maybe even longer, in my opinion.

This reminds me of when the Democrats insisted on just a simple majority vote, rather than a higher percentage - and that was fine when it worked for them, but now what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Oh, the irony. I can hardly wait for them to try to get a Supreme Court Justice approved. I just hope that the Republicans don't weenie out like they so often do.

Never fight with someone who is prepared to be more ruthless than you are. Basic rule of warfare, and of life in general.
Sure, we've always had some level of rancor and competition between the parties, but at the end of the day both were willing to find some common ground and reach a compromise for the good of the country as a whole. What we have today is far, far beyond anything we've seen in recent history. We have to go back to the Civil War to find this level of division and hate; and we saw where that kerfuffle ended. It's hard to argue that was a good outcome.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 AM

1,874 posts, read 829,907 times
Quote:
Y'all. Please. All this is, is a game. Who has the best moves. Who is the most ruthless. Who is thinking four or five steps ahead. It has nothing to do with truth, nothing to do with protecting real victims, nothing to do with honor, not on either side of the aisle.
100%. if you can't see this your head is buried deep in your rectum

Old 10-01-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Sure, we've always had some level of rancor and competition between the parties, but at the end of the day both were willing to find some common ground and reach a compromise for the good of the country as a whole. What we have today is far, far beyond anything we've seen in recent history. We have to go back to the Civil War to find this level of division and hate; and we saw where that kerfuffle ended. It's hard to argue that was a good outcome.
Well, I agree that things have degenerated for sure, and they've been on a downward trajectory for decades now. It's pitiful.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM

14,831 posts, read 7,515,841 times
Quote:
Kavanaugh proved himself to be overly belligerent (even sober) at the hearing, and lacking in judicial temperament. Now we are finding out he also lied under oath in an attempt to prop up his choir boy fantasy he has told about his youth.

He's clearly unfit to be on the SCOTUS. The nomination must be withdrawn.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:58 AM

89,903 posts, read 45,730,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
If Kavanaugh is a violent drunk, I don't think he would have managed to stay on a federal bench for 12 years or have glowing reviews or passed 6 FBI background checks. Just sayin.
Truth to power. That's the catchphrase, no?

18,981 posts, read 9,197,363 times
Quote:
I disagree. I could find no reason not to seat Neil Gorsuch. He is a decent human being, even if I don't agree with his political views.

Kavanaugh is a whole different thing. His behavior before the Senate hearing proved he is unfit for the SC, even not accounting for his lying under oath. Which in itself should be disqualifying. It's incredible that to the GOP, it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
100%. if you can't see this your head is buried deep in your rectum
Right and it blows my mind when people I think are smart, or at least sort of smart, are so easily emotionally manipulated.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:01 AM

8,326 posts, read 4,014,049 times
Quote:
True to some extent, but it is also based on the fact that the stakes are so high. One of the big weaknesses in our system is that a SCOTUS justice is appointed for life. Maybe that was OK back in 1790 but it makes no sense in this day and age. Second big weakness of our system is the power that we give to a President. That's has never been an issue until Trump; now we see that the whole democratic republic is at risk when someone is at the helm that has no scruples or limits or common sense. These things underlie the intensity of this battle. The whole future of the country is at stake, I guess you could call that a "game", but that tends to obfuscate the seriousness of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies