Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM

25,903 posts, read 20,903,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Yes, apparently Ford doesn't have the right to her own response to trauma, only the response that meets your acceptability bar. And for every one of those women you volunteer with, there are scores of others with similar experiences who are incapable, for various reasons, of escaping those challenges. According to your logic, their failure to escape from them marks them as self-pitying losers. Your compassion for women extends only to women who happen to satisfy your requirements.

I will never understand misogynistic women.
This process has revealed an alarming number of women who simply hate many other women.
It's been quite eye-opening.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM

18,981 posts, read 9,197,363 times
Quote:
I wonder how many Ford-shamers on this forum would be singing a different tune if that had been their daughter or wife testifying.
The worst are from women who say they, too, were assaulted or raped. The victim shaming some of them have engaged in in this thread is disgusting. I'm ashamed for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
Why are people still supporting this guy? It is abundantly clear that he is a liar (under oath) even if all the other allegations are groundless. Move on. There are plenty of conservative judges more suited for this appointment than Kavanaugh.
For some unfathomable reason the GOP has chosen this hill to die on. I suppose having a dispicable liar and assaulter in the White House made them figure, why not? In for a penny, in for a pound.

These two men are the face of the GOP now. So much to be proud of if you are a Republican these days.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 AM

8,534 posts, read 3,428,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I originally thought Kavanaugh would be pretty much a centrist on the court... not anymore.

With their behavior, Dems have turned him into Clarence Thomas #2 if he is approved.
Disagree strongly. If Kavanaugh turns into a second Clarence Thomas that's on HIM.

It is children who behave with pique; not sitting Justices.

To say that with a straight face is to assert that Kavanaugh has the temperament of someone who cannot weigh evidence according to the dictates of the Constitution and case law as he reads them.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 AM

22,979 posts, read 27,225,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are two sides to the story but the McConnell is calling for a vote this week before the FBI investigation is complete. He hasn't changed, he wanted a vote even before Ford even testified. Truth is it doesn't matter what the FBI finds, if Kavanaugh murdered someone he will still push him through.
Hmmm, sounds a lot like Comey and the Clinton fiasco doesn't it, but THAT was just fine because it was Hillary right?

Actually, it's very possible that the FBI has figured out that nothing is going to come out of their investigation and that it will end prior to Friday and then told McConnell so scheduling a vote now makes sense given that there has to be a certain amount of time from scheduling to actual voting.

It's also possible that even though a vote is scheduled it can be canceled at the last minute but can't be scheduled at the last minute due to Senate rules.

Want to try again?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 AM

3,847 posts, read 2,008,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He didn’t lie under oath. He told the senators that he had heard about her calling people. Of course he did, they’re all friends. If someone called to tell you their old friend is trying to say you did this thing at a party, you’re not going to ask people to back you up?

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...perjury-claim/

This article includes parts of the transcript from his testimony that includes him saying he heard about her calling people to make some allegation prior to the story coming out in the New Yorker.
Thank you, Katy. I was not aware of this. Strangely, it is not mentioned in any of the articles I have read regarding these new text messages.
Kind of like nobody mentions he testified to the fact that back in the day he had "too many beers" some nights when discussing how he lied to portray himself as a choir boy. In my world, on nights I got plastered I would wake up and say "last night I had one too many" meaning i was hammered.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:31 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,133,743 times
Quote:
The problem is that nearly everything the Democrats do is read as a conspiracy by the Republican base. The Clintons have nothing to do with the Kavanaugh hearing. Nothing.
Hillary Cinton's failure in 2016 gave us the Kavanaugh appointment, gave us President Donald Trump and gave us the resistance movement. You couldn't be more wrong. When Kavanaugh said in the hearing that this was nothing more than Democrats upset about losing an election, he was right.

11,011 posts, read 11,111,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Thank you, Katy. I was not aware of this. Strangely, it is not mentioned in any of the articles I have read regarding these new text messages.
Kind of like nobody mentions he testified to the fact that back in the day he had "too many beers" some nights when discussing how he lied to portray himself as a choir boy. In my world, on nights I got plastered I would wake up and say "last night I had one too many" meaning i was hammered.
Of course they don't mention these things. Otherwise it wouldn't work for the smear job they're doing on him right now. Of note - those texts. Still haven't seen them. No one has.

669 posts, read 327,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know where you get this. I was sexually assaulted. I remember many details quite vividly. I don't remember the date. I remember him. I remember his name. I remember him threatening me if I told what he had done. I remember lots of details. But if someone were to question me, I'm sure there are many details I don't remember.
You remember where you were coming from or going. Or what the setting was. i.e. I was going home. I was on my way to ___ house for a party. I was supposed to meet ___.

Those people would be able to corroborate it. But instead, you many people saying her account is untrue, or do not recall at all as in "it didn't happen". Seriously, look at her allegations closely, and how much the details change over time, and she can't even remember recent events, which means she's been coached or stuff planted in her head to say it a certain way.

But the challenge is, people who lie, if asked from a different angle will answer differently, because they're trying to make it up in how they think certain details would have occurred.

18,981 posts, read 9,197,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not me. I've known a more than a few women (including one of my sisters) who got sexually assaulted by men on dates, and it was their own damn fault for being in those situations.
And there you have it. Victim shaming 101.

It is NEVER a woman's fault for being sexually assaulted. You are basically saying men are animals who have no ability to control themselves, so if they assault a woman, it's her fault for not taking his inability to control himself into account.

Is this really how you view men?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 AM

15,686 posts, read 10,720,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This process has revealed an alarming number of women who simply hate many other women.
It's been quite eye-opening.
Oh please, men disagree all the time. So can we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies