Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:41 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I never knew the magnitude of the evacuation from the water during 9/11.
Awesome Unity of Americans
https://youtu.be/MDOrzF7B2Kg
It looks like a mini Dunkirk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 08:46 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, you did not see it in Houston. The police were glad for all the help, and hundreds of Houstonians and the Cajun Navy came out with their jon boats and rescued people for days. The Academy Sports and Outdoors headquarters are right down the street from me, and the police and other citizens asked them to donate every jon boat and work boots they had and they did it. When the National Guard came in the Academy gave up their entire second story to allow them to operate from there. It was a massive operation, from civilians to first responders to the National Guard.

My friend was flooded in her home with a sick parent, and people in boats came by at least once an hour trying to encourage them to leave. They didn’t want to leave their house and ended up stuck in it for a week. We had a friend with a boat go bring them food. They were unprepared because their house was flooded from the release of the dam and had never flooded prior to that. But we did get 52” of rain in 72 hours, which is slightly more than our average annual rainfall.
You're confused.

When I said "we saw it in Houston last year" I meant we saw regular individuals all pitching in regardless of race/class/whatever and getting the job done minus government aid.

The media and government didn't like it at all.

Remember when the rescue boat with a Confederate flag was picking up black folks down there? A Hillary staffer was triggered but nobody on the ground cared.

And the black MMA fighter who got in his boat and rescued a white guy who wanted to bring his Confederate flag with him? The white guy apologized but the black dude told him not to sweat it and he was there to help.

Nobody gave a crap. Everyone wanted to help. The mainstream media kept a lid on it.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/...federate-flag/

https://thegrio.com/2017/08/29/black...federate-flag/

Old 08-04-2018, 08:54 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The man who became president said “I watched in Jersey City where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as the WTC collapsed”.

There is nothing factual, including the above links, to support his perceptions.
Its been well documented that on 9/11 or after, a number of sources reported multiple instances of celebrations by various groups in Jersey City and elsewhere in the region.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...mps-911-claim/

There were also television reports about thousands cheering in the middle east.

You think Trump was lying because he erred in the details about the numbers, or confused the reports.

How about maybe he was just wrong about the details and spoke in good faith about what he remembered.

When you people are so unreasonable about what determines a lie so many times, Trump stops caring and wont correct an error. He will just dismiss you all as fake news.

Note the link above is used only to document the reports. It attempts to continue to call Trump a liar on the basis that the reports which did happen were later not found to be proven with video evidence or the like.

I shouldnt have to explain why that makes them dishonest themselves.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:57 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're confused.

When I said "we saw it in Houston last year" I meant we saw regular individuals all pitching in regardless of race/class/whatever and getting the job done minus government aid.

The media and government didn't like it at all.

Remember when the rescue boat with a Confederate flag was picking up black folks down there? A Hillary staffer was triggered but nobody on the ground cared.

And the black MMA fighter who got in his boat and rescued a white guy who wanted to bring his Confederate flag with him? The white guy apologized but the black dude told him not to sweat it and he was there to help.

Nobody gave a crap. Everyone wanted to help. The mainstream media kept a lid on it.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/...federate-flag/

https://thegrio.com/2017/08/29/black...federate-flag/
Sorry, I read that completely the opposite way.

I don’t remember any of those reactions because I live here and all we got was local news. I never knew there was any supposed controversy about it. People come together in a catastrophe, which is a beautiful thing.

They learn what to do better after each disaster, so in New Orleans they weren’t allowing the Cajun Navy or aid trucks to come into the city, but they welcomed them here. Katrina and Harvey were quite different in that the storm surge caused levies to break in NOLA and water rushed in whereas in Houston the water rose more slowly with the rain (that I thought would never end). We cover a very large area so we needed those citizen rescuers. We also never lost power in large portions of the city, so people could send messages. The police aren’t fools. They’ll take all the help they can get.

I do remember the MMA fighter and the confederate flag story. I’m not sure what the reason was, but for the man to want it that flag must have belonged to an ancestor or had some deep meaning to him. I have a friend who isn’t racist at all, but he has a small confederate flag in his garage that he got when he played high school football for Westbury High School. Their mascot at that time was the Rebels (same school that Michael Strahan played for a couple of years later). I think they got it for winning the district championship or something. He would definitely not leave that flag behind.

Last edited by katygirl68; 08-05-2018 at 12:08 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 12:22 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It looks like a mini Dunkirk.
It sure did. What an amazing story!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:45 AM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Of course he was right but the mainstream media is desperate to impeach his character and labelled him a liar after quibbling over some details.
He even predicted something would happen even before 9/11 in one of his books.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:53 AM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Its been well documented that on 9/11 or after, a number of sources reported multiple instances of celebrations by various groups in Jersey City and elsewhere in the region.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...mps-911-claim/

There were also television reports about thousands cheering in the middle east.

You think Trump was lying because he erred in the details about the numbers, or confused the reports.

How about maybe he was just wrong about the details and spoke in good faith about what he remembered.

When you people are so unreasonable about what determines a lie so many times, Trump stops caring and wont correct an error. He will just dismiss you all as fake news.

Note the link above is used only to document the reports. It attempts to continue to call Trump a liar on the basis that the reports which did happen were later not found to be proven with video evidence or the like.

I shouldnt have to explain why that makes them dishonest themselves.
I did see footage of a man who looked Arab, sitting on his yellow NYC taxi cab talking to a reporter, and he actually wished there were more that were killed that day. And this was on CNN really late at night when I saw it.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:03 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I asked that poster the same question. I'm hoping we get an answer, I truly have no idea what they are talking about.
I dont think anyone hid it, I just dont think that the media wanted to put it out there, as it had no blood to lead.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nothing supports the claim there were no NJ celebrations. LEOs have reported celebrations took place.

There were not thousands and thousands celebrating.

I lived in NJ at the time. When my commuter ferry finally reached the Highlands, some people on shore cheered. My perception was they were cheering survival.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's not what the previous posts indicated, however. Some people don't believe any celebrating was done, even with evidence to prove otherwise.

And I just have to ask - since you believe nothing this man says, why believe he actually grabbed a woman's body part since you all keep repeating that over and over?
I voted for Trump.

I did not however, drink the Kool- aid.

I do not attribute or blame any POTUS for the good, bad and ugly in my own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies