Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 AM

11,813 posts, read 5,811,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Siding with giant corporations over the people in the towns where they operate... this is where conservatism goes off the rails.
This isn't a conservative thing - Facebook is giving free lunches - like all the leftist gov't programs giving away freebies and you think that's a good thing right? The area welcomed the big tech companies in with open arms - more money spent in the community - but now with the wage hike by their friendly liberal gov't - they are feeling the pinch - so how dare these companies we welcomed offer their employees free lunches when they should be spending their money in my establishment so I can pay my employees those increased wages forced on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
While at the same time giving out free plastic syringes to drug addicts? and aren't there plastic syringes littered all over the place? lol.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:14 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
PB&J will be black market contraband.
Don't give them ideas they will ban bread.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:32 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
This isn't a conservative thing - Facebook is giving free lunches - like all the leftist gov't programs giving away freebies and you think that's a good thing right? The area welcomed the big tech companies in with open arms - more money spent in the community - but now with the wage hike by their friendly liberal gov't - they are feeling the pinch - so how dare these companies we welcomed offer their employees free lunches when they should be spending their money in my establishment so I can pay my employees those increased wages forced on me.
Conservatives do not mind a free lunch for workers as long as the corporations are paying and not the tax payers, huge difference.

Sorry you choose a area where democratic tyranny seems to be thriving.

Why should they be spending money in your establishment? you think patrons should be forced?

If so you are a supporter of democratic tyranny of the sickest kind of taking away peoples freedom to seek profit to one self.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Ideal Leftist Society:
No need to work because
Free housing
Free food
Free house
Free electric/water/gas utilities
Free healthcare
Where everyone is treated equally
Where everyone is economically equal
A lot of gay sex
A very diverse population of many ethnic segments
Only trained government officials have guns.

Would that work for you?
If you want to really get technical, the lunches are not "free." They are a perk for employees who work there, and a part of their compensation, just like their salaries and their health coverage.

Anyway...I already read about this in the Current Events forum, and I think it's absurd. If they take away the lunches, many employees will just start bringing their own food from home. Unless, of course, they also initiate a ban on break rooms with microwaves and refrigerators.

It seems to me like a smarter solution would be for the restaurants to work with these companies, and try to get some catering gigs with them. I don't want to see any local business driven out, but this is going way too far.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If the law says "fully subsidize" it's a waste of paper.

Facebook charges a 1c a head cover charge per day for every employee, for coffee, soda, snacks, lunch and/or dinner. Thus subverting the law. They can give a 5c raise to everyone to cover the cost too. I mean in reality they could do this with any amount, because whatever the daily charge is covers the cost of the raise, so it's purely figure shuffling with net zero outcome, and the cost of catering is already paid by FB.
The law bans the building of a cafeteria onsite. How this is a valid thing I do not know but my question is, how many council members are restaurant owners?

You can have lunch catered but you can create it onsite?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
If you want to really get technical, the lunches are not "free." They are a perk for employees who work there, and a part of their compensation, just like their salaries and their health coverage.

Anyway...I already read about this in the Current Events forum, and I think it's absurd. If they take away the lunches, many employees will just start bringing their own food from home. Unless, of course, they also initiate a ban on break rooms with microwaves and refrigerators.

It seems to me like a smarter solution would be for the restaurants to work with these companies, and try to get some catering gigs with them. I don't want to see any local business driven out, but this is going way too far.

Isn't that the ideal society you guys want to live in?

The Ideal Leftist Society:
No need to work because
Free housing
Free food
Free house
Free electric/water/gas utilities
Free healthcare
Where everyone is treated equally
Where everyone is economically equal
A lot of gay sex
A very diverse population of many ethnic segments
Only trained government officials have guns.

Would that work for you?

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 AM

17,010 posts, read 12,605,196 times
Read local papers on this as I did not see the reasoning. basically the local governments there feel the Facebook etc employees are too insular and do not patronize local restaurants.

Its all an effort to drum up business for local restaurants.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:53 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
You mean you have proof from a site that (R)s and the right passed this law? In liberal California in the bay area.? LMFAO along with a whole bunch other posters from the right and left. If I deserved one of these you should get a million.
The political leaning of no one was mentioned in the article. Please show me where it is mentioned. I'll wait.

If I have no proof of anything, neither do you.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
It's a benefit, Bentbow, just like Catgirl pointed out. Lots of companies sweeten the pot for their employees by providing goods and services. Other examples might be things like mileage reimbursement or a company car, education reimbursement, insurance, on-site childcare, technology (like computers and cell phones), home internet or cell service reimbursement, and clothing allowances. All of the above are things that highly-paid employees commonly receive from their employers. Think of the meals as part of an employee's compensation package. It's not free in the way you're suggesting. The employees are earning the meals by working for the company that provides them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies