Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:59 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times

Advertisements

Here's the thing: Differences of opinion are allowed in the GOP. In the other side, not so much.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Wow, I never expected to see Gowdy come down so forcefully on Trump.

I think Helsinki really (finally!) shook up some Republicans. Watching an American president declare to the world that he believed the KGB over his own intelligence community while standing beside the ex-KGB head himself was more than any American who loves his country could tolerate. Even Trey Gowdy.

And on Fox News, no less.

The ground just shifted.

Ya know, everything has a breaking point, a final straw. Trump has been very lucky to dodge all the things that would have sunk most people, like the bus video, or him bashing the disabled reporter, or him going after the family of the dead soldier, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe this will not be the final straw that does Trump in, but this Helsinki butt kissing job he did certainly did him no good. Just when you think this idiot can no do anything worse, he ups the ante another notch. It has become "What stupid thing is Trump going to do this week ?" It is the start of a new week, so I can't wait to see what boner he pulls next.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:04 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Trumpees don't have any right to act as if they don't do exactly the same thing. As soon as one of your side says one bad word about Trump, the gloves come off and that formerly wonderful person is now a RHINO or suffering from TDS.

As for FOX, this is totally uncharacteristic for them, normally they are covering up anything negative about Trump, but maybe they are finally seeing the light too. Let's face it, Donald Trump blew that Helsinki meeting completely, and even his own side can not find anything positive to spin it with. Putin has to be beside himself at how Trump acted like a schoolgirl going to her first prom, and how he was all gushy over Putin.

You don't really think that Fox has any institutional integrity or sense of loyalty? They decided to back Trump, because it seemed like an easy way to pick up viewers and sell commercial time. Just as soon as Trump's fall seems likely, they will shift quickly to the next sleazy cause in their checkered history, that will give them a hook to pull the low-information viewers back in.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Have aliens taken away Trey Gowdy and replaced him with someone who has a spine ? My God, Gowdy on FOX, no less, standing up and calling out Donald Trump ! And Fox allowed this exchange ! ....

Three cheers for Fox for allowing someone onto their network who has an opinion strongly in contrast to Fox's usual one. I got to like the NY Times much better when it started printing Op Ed pieces that were radically different the the Time's usual positions.

IMO we need this sort of thing in our media very badly....at least a flash of openness or departure from the usual stance.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:05 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Ya know, everything has a breaking point, a final straw. Trump has been very lucky to dodge all the things that would have sunk most people, like the bus video, or him bashing the disabled reporter, or him going after the family of the dead soldier, etc, etc, etc.

Maybe this will not be the final straw that does Trump in, but this Helsinki butt kissing job he did certainly did him no good. Just when you think this idiot can no do anything worse, he ups the ante another notch. It has become "What stupid thing is Trump going to do this week ?" It is the start of a new week, so I can't wait to see what boner he pulls next.
The Helsinki butt-kissing appears to have crossed the line for Gowdy as well as several others in the House.

Texas Republican Will Hurd had a few choice words about things as did:

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/st...26250369609728

Old 07-23-2018, 04:16 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
The GOP internals are not doing good. Gowdy will need to run for something in SC. I do not believe he wants the state to remember him getting whipped by Strozk

Old 07-23-2018, 04:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Trey Gowdy is the same no integrity hack that he’s always been.

If he were running for re-election, he’d be putting lipstick all over Trump’s ass.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Im not sure I would actually vote for him as we disagree about half of the time but he has been growing on me and yes before the OP mentioned incident.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:25 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
sounds like Trey, our best congressman, has been compromised himself.
Maybe thats why he isnt seeking reelection
He is from my state- but another portion/district- so I tend to see more about him than most. When he announced retirement my first thought was that he did not want to answer for the direction of Congress/recent tomfoolery.

He is not my cup of tea and certainly has a partisan bent to him but at the end of the day I think he is one who will draw a line in the sand. I also think he is rethinking some of his politics overall. He and Tim Scott wrote a book together and he has been pretty open about how interacting with people on a more personal level has given him a broader perspective.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:22 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
sounds like Trey, our best congressman, has been compromised himself.
Maybe thats why he isnt seeking reelection
It seems more like since he will not run again, he is free to speak plainly.

No one wants to be remembered as a tool (like Nunes, for example, his reputation is ruined). Republicans who decide not to run again tend to say what they really think, instead of bottling it up ...

When this whole quisling phenomenon blows over and rational minds once again take hold of the party no one will want to be tainted by past associations with the disgraced Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies