Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:01 AM

17,453 posts, read 9,288,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I was a professional woman for decades in a male dominated field and have the experience to say the new feminists seem determined to turn back the clock on the gains women have made in the workplace to Victorian times with this fainting couch nonsense.
For the Love of Baby Unicorns - my code4lib 2018 Keynote

I agree - I read the Librarian's entire speech, she references "mansplaining" well before she gets to the Star Wars & Star Trek posters. When a Male is Mentoring a female - he is likely to be accused of "splaining" in today's Crazy World and MicroAggressions added to that. Nutters are in every field, she is one in Library Science (which she has no degree in at all). Her field is Social Justice Warrior, not STEM or even Tech - so she spoke of what HER field is to the coding group.

I live in an entire Family of STEM professions. Engineers, Chemists, Biology, Physics, Population Biology Archeology (which is close) and a famous Science Journalist. About half women, half men and each and every one of them has been a Mentor and is currently a Mentor. NONE of them has really had to deal with the new wave of "feminists" and their weird ideas ...... perhaps it's just that the level of expertise they work with is just too far above that. Every one of them has been a lowly employee and a Boss, every one of them has hired/fired/ and been the bottom and the top.

I'm pretty much convinced that it has more to do with Aptitude for serious STEM than anything else. I'm very strong on encouraging young people into STEM degrees and programs, I think schools are doing a much better job today to help them prepare and to identify aptitude - STEM should be scary to anyone if they have both interest and aptitude - strength in MATH is absolutely KEY and the first sign of aptitude.

My 14 year old granddaughter is entering a 4 year STEM program (she hasn't picked her focus field yet) that will be earning College hours as she completes her high school graduation. In the eighth grade she was already in 4 High School classes ..... some have the aptitude and some don't and that has more to do with success than perceived bias and "I'm afraid to ask or they will think I'm stupid and incompetent."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 11:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Happy to help.

No, it isn't "Star Wars" posters...this isn't the 90s. I haven't seen Star Wars anything at the office for many years. Most of the youngsters from India in the field now have never seen any of the Star Wars movies (at least not the ones I've worked with).
I work in a tech office and Star Wars memorabilia is huge. Probably the plurality of the toys and decorations that make the average cubicle look like a child's playpen. Coming in second is a three-way tie between Pokemon, assorted anime stuff, and Game of Thrones.

Also, the female staff's desks are just as replete with Star Wars and other fanboi/girl memorabilia as the male staff.

Just my one anecdotal experience. And for what it's worth, we have very few Indian employees. Mostly White, Hispanic, Black.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:15 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,559,787 times
I've actually never seen star wars. Go figure.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Why the hell would I want to paint a giant target on my back? Because that's exactly what would happen.
It's called having a backbone by standing up for yourself.

Quote:
You think men who are reported for creating a hostile work environment are tossed out on their asses by lunchtime?
It's not about the sex of the person that complains, it's about content. Keep making excuses.

Quote:
If you turn in a co-worker, YOU are the one with the problem. Women talk, and by the time we're 24-25 years old, we have figured out who HR works for and what happens to women who talk to them about other coworkers: they're passed over for promotions, get less-than-favorable performance reviews, and are hustled out the door at the next RIF.
You made this up.

Quote:
I have bills to pay, son. And principles aren't gonna pay them.
If you're good at your job you don't have much to worry about.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:49 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Academia is infested with people like this.
What do you have against librarians? We’re just regular folks.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 PM

477 posts, read 277,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What I've always found interesting, though, is that we never talk about the lack of women, say, in sanitation work. Or construction. Shouldn't we also be looking at why women don't go into those fields?
Because women only seek equality or parity in desirable work/fields. It's the same reason you don't see many women protesting to be included in the selective service, i.e. the potential draft.

Quote:
Yet I and other women will continue to lose out because men are cowards.
These days, men are eschewing the "Mad Men" era behavior that women rightly took many to task for lately. But then women began to weaponize their accusation power, creating a climate where men are judged on the word of a woman and found guilty without a trial. Sexual harassment is very subjective and women can change the criteria on a whim. What man wants to lose their job or career in order to mentor a woman who might take a joke or invitation out the wrong way?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
As a female software engineer, I prefer Star Trek myself.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
MIT Librarians Claim Star Wars Posters, 'Geeky Stuff' In Offices Keep Women Out Of STEM Careers

They're evidence of a toxic, masculine workplace.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27858...-emily-zanotti

If you can’t handle a Star Wars poster, you are not the future of mankind. Best to stay out of the world of science.
You're so worried about a MIT librarian that you felt compelled to start a thread about her.

LMAO….

Old 03-06-2018, 09:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's called having a backbone by standing up for yourself.

It's not about the sex of the person that complains, it's about content. Keep making excuses.

You made this up.

If you're good at your job you don't have much to worry about.

She most certainly did not make that up. Anyone who has worked for corporate American for any length of time knows exactly what she's talking about.

It's so easy to be judgemental when it doesn't impact you and your finances. She's gotten out of more than one bad situation - the smartest thing to do since opening your mouth will paint you as the problem.

And if you doubt any of that is true, go hang out in the Work and Employment forum and learn something instead of telling people they're lying.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:20 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,111,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She most certainly did not make that up. Anyone who has worked for corporate American for any length of time knows exactly what she's talking about.

It's so easy to be judgemental when it doesn't impact you and your finances. She's gotten out of more than one bad situation - the smartest thing to do since opening your mouth will paint you as the problem.

And if you doubt any of that is true, go hang out in the Work and Employment forum and learn something instead of telling people they're lying.

Then that’s your problem

I know women that don’t play victim and succeed

Guess it’s not the easy way out though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies