Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times

Advertisements

I think part of it is the whole asking for help. That said, I can tell you men don't do this either for a similar reason, it's part of the tough guise. It is like how men talk about fights they won or scars they have fondly. No man admits they got help if they got it and it honestly annoys me and I am a man. Yes I do typically get things easily but I admit when and from whom I learned things. I do think this isn't a STEM specific issue.

I do think another component is what TriT7 stated, the pipeline of women. When fewer women are in the field, it makes it harder to be in the field in the long-term. This ties into another point of people genuinely associating with those who come from similar backgrounds. H1-B Indian workers will typically stick together similar to say former military. And this even plays in with age and gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 AM

128 posts, read 98,084 times
Star Wars posters? Seriously?

Are these adults we are talking about, or Jr. High kids?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:48 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And of course, the overwhelming majority of women who have never pursued a complaint against a co-worker or their employer are losing out.

I've been treated poorly and discriminated against at work for being female but I've never reported it. Any of it. Yet I and other women will continue to lose out because men are cowards.
lol You call men cowards yet you don't report problems? Then you wonder why women will loose out?

A lot of the problems for woman at work are caused by other woman.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...office/534213/

Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,117,708 times
I guess I’m just an anomaly then...I have a whole Star Wars kitchen in my house and a game room with art and other things from 30+ fandoms. And I like science.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,545,286 times
I'm in Stem, and I personally don't see Star Wars posters or anything "geeky" in the office. It's just a boring looking standard tech office with people of all different types and personalities.

I'm probably not too far from where that Librarian works, and there's a healthy influx of women working in my small subgroup. Our QE is a woman, our latest ME hire is a woman (who was previously an intern reporting to me) and 2 out of 3 of our engineering interns coming in this summer are women. In fact...in recent years, the intern pool was pretty well split between men/women looking for engineering internships. I'd say this trend has improved (in my area) a lot in the last decade compared to when I was in college (1 woman in a class of 75).

I'd guess I'm considered the Mentor for the interns as well as our recent hire. I honestly don't care if you are a man or woman. If you are willing to learn, I'm more than happy to teach you how to do it.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Agreed. One incident does not make a theory. However, maybe it is just the Media cycle we have today, but more, and more we are seeing these things that "trigger" people, and "offend" others.
I suspect it is more that the internet allows for all kinds of 'journalists' (and I use this term loosely).

Check out this great reporting -- this woman is a winner. https://spectator.org/65783_your-bab...-donald-trump/

Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM

78,499 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
You explained why men wont be going out of their way to help women anymore in this thread

Since #MeToo, the Number of Men Who Are Uncomfortable Mentoring Women Has Tripled

And honestly why should they?
Yes, I did but it's not to say that I won't help them in a work sense because I do that all the time.

I'm more than happy to sit at someones desk with them, go to a conference room etc.

However, as far as outside of work socializing etc. or being alone with a young lady "working on a project late at night"....um, that would make me uncomfortable to some degree and I wouldn't want to make anyone else uncomfortable either.

I don't say this lightly, I treat people with respect but I've been working long enough, I've heard stories of both harassment as well as misunderstandings and even the rarer false accusation which happened to a friend of mine and a former boss. I've also had friends harassed, one roofied I understand the issue fully from both sides so I'm cautious.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol You call men cowards yet you don't report problems? Then you wonder why women will loose out?

A lot of the problems for woman at work are caused by other woman.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...office/534213/
Why the hell would I want to paint a giant target on my back? Because that's exactly what would happen. You think men who are reported for creating a hostile work environment are tossed out on their asses by lunchtime?

ROFL

ROFL

ROFL

No.

If you turn in a co-worker, YOU are the one with the problem. Women talk, and by the time we're 24-25 years old, we have figured out who HR works for and what happens to women who talk to them about other coworkers: they're passed over for promotions, get less-than-favorable performance reviews, and are hustled out the door at the next RIF.

I have bills to pay, son. And principles aren't gonna pay them.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,107,950 times
Quote:
Why the hell would I want to paint a giant target on my back? Because that's exactly what would happen. You think men who are reported for creating a hostile work environment are tossed out on their asses by lunchtime?

ROFL

ROFL

ROFL

No.

If you turn in a co-worker, YOU are the one with the problem. Women talk, and by the time we're 24-25 years old, we have figured out who HR works for and what happens to women who talk to them about other coworkers: they're passed over for promotions, get less-than-favorable performance reviews, and are hustled out the door at the next RIF.

“Women talk”

Exactly

Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Quote:
You think men who are reported for creating a hostile work environment are tossed out on their asses by lunchtime?

I've seen this particular issue play out numerous times, and IMO it isn't a gender issue. You could swap the genders around and the result would be identical; "HR isn't your friend."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies