Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 08:51 PM

1,896 posts, read 813,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
And.......some wonder why some do not want them here.
Come to a foreign country, do not follow laws of that country, sue that country for making you follow law.
And win??!!
America is becoming a cesspool of sorts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...shots.amp.html

Three lawsuits were settled Monday in Brooklyn federal court stemming from the NYPD policy of photographing people wearing religious head coverings, the New York Daily News reported. The three women settled for $60,000 each.

Some cases date to 2012, when a high school girl – identified as “G.E.” – was arrested after a brawl with two other girls whom she thought spread gossip about her.

G.E. was initially brought to a local police station and was told to take off her hijab. G.E. refused and was taken to a secluded room where a female police officer took her photo outside the presence of any men, the Daily News reported.

But at Brooklyn Central Booking the police could not accommodate the girl’s religious needs, telling her that there were not any female officers available and that the camera is in a fixed spot, thus the mugshot could not be taken in a private room.

The girl alleged that a male officer then took her photo without a hijab, making her feel “exposed, violated and distraught” as she was forced to be without the Islamic garb for 20 minutes while male officers and prisoners looked at her.

Police issued an order in March 2015, according to court filings, changing the policies regarding people who refusing to take off their religious head coverings. Officers who perform the arrest had to tell the person that the NYPD offers a choice of getting a private photo – without the head garb and with an officer of the same gender.

Two other cases were filed in 2015 and 2016 by G.E.’s lawyer, Tahanie Aboushi, and involved a similar situation.

One woman claims to have been forced to remove her veil at Brooklyn Central Booking police station and was denied a female photographer. Another accuser said her hijab was removed at the scene of her arrest.

Aboushi told the Daily News on Tuesday that the police department issued additional policies regarding religious headwear in December 2017.

“We did our best to establish good precedent,” Aboushi said. “On the one hand, it gives officers guidance, and on the other hand, it protects the exercise of religious freedom.”
Religious freedom!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 PM

1,896 posts, read 813,882 times
Remember when the Church of Satan took advantage of OK's religious freedoms legislation? Good times.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:58 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,611,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hair (style and color) are part of what is used for identification and description. I have some snowmobiling masks that don't cover my eyes, nose or mouth. I suppose I'd be able to keep it on if I dream up a religion that requires wearing a costume.
I suppose a hat and bandana could be kept on for mugshots if a person is a member of a "Cowboy church".

Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,578,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I suppose a hat and bandana could be kept on for mugshots if a person is a member of a "Cowboy church".
Quite a few bikers wear bandanas to keep the bugs out of their teeth. It's as least as much of a reason, as "real", as Islam and it's imaginary skydaddy and pedophile prophet is. I guess they shouldn't take them off. Come to think of it, there is no reason to take off a full face helmet for a mug shot.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There is no real difference between the KKK and islam Except Islam is worse since the KKK barely exist in America and they are not migrating to other people's countries. Hijabs are the most offensive sight to me.
Islam has killed 270 MILLION people over the years. https://madworldnews.com/islam-270-million-death-toll/ The KKK isn't even in the running for the crown of evil. Islam has killed what, 10X as much as the Nazis, and probably 5X as much as Communism. Both are disgusting "systems" that embrace bigotry and violence.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
That certainly is easy money. I wish I was that lucky.
Get a ski mask. Embroider a flying spaghetti monster on it. Walk into a bank. I have to think you'd get a payout pretty quickly.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,897,868 times
Quote:
Islam has killed 270 MILLION people over the years. https://madworldnews.com/islam-270-million-death-toll/ The KKK isn't even in the running for the crown of evil. Islam has killed what, 10X as much as the Nazis, and probably 5X as much as Communism. Both are disgusting "systems" that embrace bigotry and violence.
Yeah I've seen that 270 million estimate, and it's conquered most the middle east, much of Africa and parts of Asia and desires to conquer Europe and the Americas. Islam is the worst pseudo-religious socio-political system probably ever. All of the areas and followers should be barred and banned from immigrating.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:12 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,618,923 times
Quote:
Brooklyn federal court. I suspect that says it all. Hopefully it will be appealed, but given the mentality of NYC, I doubt it.
That's the problem. NY will not appeal. They will just throw their taxpayer's money away.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:12 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,273,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
And.......some wonder why some do not want them here.
Come to a foreign country, do not follow laws of that country, sue that country for making you follow law.
And win??!!
America is becoming a cesspool of sorts.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxne...shots.amp.html

Three lawsuits were settled Monday in Brooklyn federal court stemming from the NYPD policy of photographing people wearing religious head coverings, the New York Daily News reported. The three women settled for $60,000 each.

Some cases date to 2012, when a high school girl – identified as “G.E.” – was arrested after a brawl with two other girls whom she thought spread gossip about her.

G.E. was initially brought to a local police station and was told to take off her hijab. G.E. refused and was taken to a secluded room where a female police officer took her photo outside the presence of any men, the Daily News reported.

But at Brooklyn Central Booking the police could not accommodate the girl’s religious needs, telling her that there were not any female officers available and that the camera is in a fixed spot, thus the mugshot could not be taken in a private room.

The girl alleged that a male officer then took her photo without a hijab, making her feel “exposed, violated and distraught” as she was forced to be without the Islamic garb for 20 minutes while male officers and prisoners looked at her.

Police issued an order in March 2015, according to court filings, changing the policies regarding people who refusing to take off their religious head coverings. Officers who perform the arrest had to tell the person that the NYPD offers a choice of getting a private photo – without the head garb and with an officer of the same gender.

Two other cases were filed in 2015 and 2016 by G.E.’s lawyer, Tahanie Aboushi, and involved a similar situation.

One woman claims to have been forced to remove her veil at Brooklyn Central Booking police station and was denied a female photographer. Another accuser said her hijab was removed at the scene of her arrest.

Aboushi told the Daily News on Tuesday that the police department issued additional policies regarding religious headwear in December 2017.

“We did our best to establish good precedent,” Aboushi said. “On the one hand, it gives officers guidance, and on the other hand, it protects the exercise of religious freedom.”
Her rights were violated. How would you feel if a Christian girl was forced to take off a cross to have her picture taken? And keep in mind that a cross is not a mandatory item of religious wear like a hijab.

Education is expensive. Those officers should have been better trained before this episode.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,100,721 times
Quote:
Quite a few bikers wear bandanas to keep the bugs out of their teeth..
????

Now, this can't be a typo or an auto-correct, right?
I mean, what a third class display of mental intellect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies