Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 PM

14,048 posts, read 5,679,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Fallacious arguments do not make for good arguments. The arguments here boil down to made up situations they are not going to happen and then expecting people to defend them when there is nothing to defend.
This is the "if it cannot be done perfectly, then it cannot be done at all" counter to any proposal to modify, reform, change anything about the current system, which itself is so flawed, broken and costly that the "perfection seeking" fallacy makes even less sense.

For example - half of all healthcare spending is waste, as in does not involve revenue or cost related to actual providing of health care services. HALF. But propose a more individual-centric model where the individual has more direct control over their choices, as well as more responsibility and awareness of the true costs vs benefit, and to get anyone to listen, that proposed system must function perfectly!!! No, we cannot make any fixes to the 50% broken model because your proposed change is not guaranteed 100% perfect.

Another example - flawed human beings are given vast amounts of unaccountable power via electoral politics in the current system, including a monopoly on force, violence and the making of laws, and examples of them abusing said power happen every minute of every hour of every day all across America. But suggest a model where those unaccountable people have that power reduced and more power is given to the individual to govern their own affairs, and oh no, you cannot guarantee that exactly 100% of all individuals will properly employ this new level of individual sovereignty. Granted, in the latter model, the individual has exactly none of the coercive power, nor monopoly of force and violence like the unaccountable bureaucrat does, but somehow this is scarier?

None of it makes any sense. People fear their neighbor having more individual freedom to conduct their own life as they see fit, but trust completely in some random stranger having vast amounts of unaccountable, unrestrained power over millions, with a military and all the lawmaking to back them up. I'll never be able to comprehend why people trust government more than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,613,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why would someone buy property that is "landlocked" already. It was landlocked before you got there.
Could it not be landlocked after I moved in?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Could it not be landlocked after I moved in?
Yea, it could, which was the scenario I proposed in the first place. They "changed" it in their response to what they wished it was.

As far as b**ching about hypotheticals, if that is your stance why are you even in this thread, the whole thing is a hypothetical. BTW pure libertarianism is also a hypothetical. When the base subject in question is already a hypothetical, it is a bit hard to have a conversation about it without using hypotheticals. I mean I guess we could discuss the real world impacts, effects, and function of actual pure libertarian societies if you would like to have a completely empty thread....

The only way to buy land that could not be potentially land locked would be to buy land that bordered on international waters if we are allowing people to own water space, and land on a water way if not.

Otherwise, you think it could not be land locked? Zoom out. Still can't be? Zoom out again. Keep repeating eventually it can be.

Which raises an interesting point. Say instead of just owning the land around your property, some organization... say Walmart, buys all the land in a 500 foot wide ring or grid surrounding a town or city: "These roads are for customers only". Could be a lucrative return to the sharecropping/company store model of economics.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-26-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Don't give him hints. It's up to these folks to learn to think for themselves.
It would be much more constructive if you could just kindly explain your position. I asked a sincere question.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea, it could, which was the scenario I proposed in the first place. They "changed" it in their response to what they wished it was.

As far as b**ching about hypotheticals, if that is your stance why are you even in this thread, the whole thing is a hypothetical. BTW pure libertarianism is also a hypothetical.

The only way to buy land that could not be potentially land locked would be to buy land that bordered on international waters if we are allowing people to own water space, and land on a water way if not.

Otherwise, you think it could not be land locked? Zoom out. Still can't be? Zoom out again. Keep repeating eventually it can be.

Which raises an interesting point. Say instead of just owning the land around your property, some organization... say Walmart, buys all the land in a 500 foot wide ring or grid surrounding a town or city: "These roads are for customers only". Could be a lucrative return to the sharecropping/company store model of economics.
Businesses and private owners do this today. You see the road or parking spots are marked as residents only or customers only.

I'd think if someone blocks the entrance to a resident or a business, it would be considered "violence." In libertarianism, "reasonable person" doctrine should still apply.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Businesses and private owners do this today. You see the road or parking spots are marked as residents only or customers only.

I'd think if someone blocks the entrance to a resident or a business, it would be considered "violence." In libertarianism, "reasonable person" doctrine should still apply.
So I guess in your vision of libertarianism the government would regulate such actions/transactions? Where would it procure the funds and power to do so?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,952,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You mean they boght property outside of America. Because they own property in America you think they can take rights away? lol
Another product of Americas Dept of Education on display.
Private land private rules another product of right wing indoctrination on display. If the wealthy control the crucial land they control the country. Thats not freedom.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 AM

30,277 posts, read 11,920,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
You know what I find baffling? Calling someone a leftist becasue they disagree with you.

I've never had an interaction with the OP that even remotely lends itself to him or her being a leftist. But they said something you don't like. So... leftists.
Sorry to hear about your confusions.

There have been lots of posts from the left on CD slamming libertarians. Saying that the Koch brothers are the best example of libertarians which they are not and all sorts of distortions.

Then the OP makes a bizarre argument that the a libertarian government would spawn companies like google to buy up all the land and force people to adhere to their ideology. And then claims to be a libertarian. This is the argument that the left makes that Libertarians are fine with huge corporations doing whatever they want which is disingenuous.

Libertarians at best represent 5% of the voting population. But the left and right attack us for various reasons.

I am fine debating the merits of libertarian ideology. I am not going to defend what one of the Koch brothers wanted 40 years ago or bizarre land grab scenarios that make no sense.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:28 AM

14,048 posts, read 5,679,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Private land private rules another product of right wing indoctrination on display. If the wealthy control the crucial land they control the country. Thats not freedom.
And if the government controls the "crucial land" via unelected, unaccountable, faceless bureaucracy, as they do now....what is that exactly? Is that freedom?

A single faceless, unelected, unaccountable bureaucrat possesses a thing, and has a monopoly on force, violence and the law making/enforcement/adjudication machinery behind them to do whatever they want with that thing is somehow less scary to you than a private citizen simply owning that thing, with nothing other than private property rights and the NAP governing them?

It boggles the mind how people rationalize government having so much unaccountable power, while simultaneously fearing their neighbor having natural, individual rights under non-aggression and voluntary association principles.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,348,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
It was under the Obama administration that corporations were allowed to forcibly take people's land for an oil pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies