Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,606,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sanders would have beat him.

Sanders would have won which completely debunks this entire garbage.

The (D)'s beat themselves.

because CNN said so?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:44 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,788,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
So the U.S. Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, is a liar?
I've been pondering this question since you posed it...

Considering that Tillerson was CEO of Exxon, and given all that Exxon did during those years regarding climate change research and denial despite that research, only now to come out strongly with admission climate change is real, add more politics into the mix, and I'm not sure how best to answer your question. I suspect some skepticism is in order in any case...

Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I never said they didn't meddle, did I? (whatever 'meddling' means)

Obama meddled in Israel's elections also. Did you make a big deal of that? Every country is keenly interested in how elections in another country will turn out and will try, by various means, to influence the process.

The meddling had no effect. I'm no fan of Russia but sanctions for 'meddling' and failing don't make a lot of sense unless that's a ruse for setting additional sanctions for other reasons.
Seems to me we need to define "meddle" a bit more specifically...

If we seem to think this claim about Obama and Israel is similar in nature to what is being investigated regarding Russian influence on our national election outcomes, then "Houston, we've got a problem..."

And I do mean CLAIM regarding Obama and Israel's elections!

"Blog claims U.S. funded anti-Netanyahu election effort in Israel"

Blog claims U.S. funded anti-Netanyahu election effort in Israel | PunditFact

Needless to say, political leaders will try to influence politics both domestic and foreign, as politicians are expected to do. That vs meddling vs covert illegal undermining of another country's election process are all very different things...

PS: where does Netanyahu addressing Congress with the GOP invitation to do so compare as we consider the definition of "meddling" in the affairs of foreign country elections?

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-17-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trump became president because people voted him in. Period.

But WHY people choose WAS affected by foreign activities. And 4 years from now Russia's goals won't be to keep Trump in, it will be to do whatever hurts us the most. This time it was Trump, next time? Who knows. But im pretty sure it won't be Trump as by then he will be viewed as "more of the same".

So this is a problem, and a real one. And thats true no matter which side of the aisle you are on. Will you feel the same if Clinton runs again, and wins after the Russians leak a ton of info on Trump? Will that still be OK with you?
The problem...

Is not the problem or challenge that America do all it can to prevent covert illegal foreign influence on our elections? Regardless the extent of that influence? And how can we possibly know the extent if not investigated?

Am I missing something?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No, that poster did not care that Obama meddled in foreign elections. That poster has no principle on the topic other than strict partisan lines.

That poster does not care that Obama colluded with Putin in the 2102 election either. Telling Putin that he can have more flexibility after the 2012 election is a quid pro quo collusion. Obama gives him a longer leash and Putin makes no major waves before the election that could send votes Romney's way. In the mean time, Obama was blasting Romney as being stuck in the Cold War for saying that Russia was a geo-political adversary, which they are.
Again, the Obama/Putin thing is a good deal different than this investigation into how Russia may have influenced our recent national election. Just saying (again)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies