Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 10:15 AM

27,304 posts, read 13,570,699 times

Advertisements

I have little faith in the Justice System, and would therefore find it difficult to justify a death sentence in sexual abuse cases where it's sometimes one persons word against another.

'Guilty until proven innocent': life after a false rape accusation - Telegraph

Rape claims: 109 women prosecuted for false allegations over five years - Telegraph

Commuter cleared of 'ludicrous' sex assault warns the same could happen to any man | London - ITV News

Ched Evans: Footballer found not guilty of hotel rape - BBC News

Mother of teen Jay Cheshire who hanged himself over false rape allegations commits suicide | Metro News

Woman facing jail for false rape allegations against her ex | Metro News

False rape claims 'devastating' say wrongly accused - BBC Newsbeat

Manchester Police admit they don’t prosecute women who make false rape allegations

Dragged through hell by rape police who 'buried' evidence about their 'twisted' accuser: Four men cleared of attack at student ball speak out after officers 'airbrushed woman's interest in group sex | Daily Mail Online

Wrongly jailed Victor Nealon spends first night as free man on streets - Guardian

Falsely accused of rape or sexual assault?

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-09-2017 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Should an 18 year-old be killed for getting a blowjob from a 16 year-old? As it stands right now the government makes no distinction and that boy would be sentenced to death under this.

Well, that would certainly be cruel and unusual for the natural act of human attraction.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 AM

30,342 posts, read 23,817,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, that would certainly be cruel and unusual for the natural act of human attraction.
Not the best argument, because one can argue that pedophiles are naturally attracted to young children. People cannot have it both ways. They can't say that "we can't help who we are attracted to" but then say that pedophiles can.

You cannot rehabilitate a pedophile. They will never be attracted to anything but children. They might get married and have a family, that doesn't mean jack. Lots of gay people got married to the opposite gender and had a family until they didn't feel like they had to hide who they were attracted to. (NO, I am not even remotely comparing pedophiles to gays in any way except to say that people have put up a front when they know society does not accept.)

The only hope that you would have for a pedophile upon release is that they just don't touch another child. And since so many insist that people "can't help it" but to have physical relations, what are we to expect, "it's human nature", etc, then according to that logic, there is no other choice but to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives.

And no, you do not want the rest of the inmates to "have at him" because crap like that starts massive problems in the prison, and the guards and other staff do not need more bs to put up with. A riot can easily start if you allow inmates to kill someone because they are child rapists. They try, and sometimes they succeed, but it causes problems.

If you want them killed, then death penalty, not other inmates. Otherwise, they stay in prison until they die. At our expense.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 AM

25,633 posts, read 17,373,200 times
I stand against the death penalty. It's too costly, too lengthy and mistakes can be made. I don't think it's a deterrent.

If the justice system worked flawlessly I would feel differently. It doesn't, though, and once in a while we pull some innocent, wrongly convicted person back from the brink. And sometimes we execute them anyway.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:00 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,314,014 times
Although I do support Execution in LIMITED cases, it has never been nor ever will be a deterrent.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:14 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,292,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I stand against the death penalty. It's too costly, too lengthy and mistakes can be made. I don't think it's a deterrent.

If the justice system worked flawlessly I would feel differently. It doesn't, though, and once in a while we pull some innocent, wrongly convicted person back from the brink. And sometimes we execute them anyway.
Precisely. Until we have a foolproof way of determining true guilt, we shouldnt execute people. You can let wrongly jailed people out and try to compensate them for their time unjustly imprisoned. You cannot bring innocent people wrongly executed back to life.

Execution is mostly vengeance on our part. Some of the desire for vengeance, such as pedophiles or violent rapists, is understandable and reasonable, but not a good enough reason to possibly execute innocent people to achieve this desire for making these people pay for their crimes with their lives. Life in prison is sufficient, and in the case of pedophiles, really a more painful punishment that will probably end in their death at the hands of another inmate anyway.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:43 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,733,373 times
I don't think there is a correlation between executions being legal and crime level. There are states with no capital punishment, but low crime, and there are states with capital punishment, but low crime.

I'm against capital punishment because once you execute someone, you cannot take it back. I'm sure there were plenty of people executed who were innocent.

Also, it's embarrassing that the United States still performs executions. No other civilized country still performs them.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:46 AM

5,668 posts, read 5,099,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No it isn't. The death penalty has never been a good deterrent.
Not true. The recidivism rate amongst those subject to it is zero. It has certainly deterred those criminals from offending again.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,605,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

THIS! Exactly this.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:23 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No it isn't. The death penalty has never been a good deterrent.
Sure it is. Zero % recidivism rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies