Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,376,947 times

Advertisements

How about building a wall around Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,396,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Finally my Congressmen and I agree on something. I have noticed Trump has been mum on the wall issue lately. He must have realized there was no way to pay for it.
He's currently trying to find ways to keep British intelligence from spying on him.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:24 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,058,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well if walls don't work as a deterrant then let's just tear down the existing walls on the border and why not tear down the walls around our homes and businesses also. A physical barrier helps the Border Patrol do their jobs more effectively. I have posted links in here several times proving that where there is a good wall on the border it has cut back illegal immigration significantly. Those who don't want it have a vested interest in illegal immigration. They fool no one.
That was going to cost a hell of a lot more than what you think. You need e-verify, ICE, and BP doing their job. An electronic "wall" is better than the monstrosity that Trump and you want. Build a fence if anything, but that wall Trump keeps talking about, it's not going to cost $25 billion. It's going to cost more, and probably be never complete if it ever does get built. You gave much more of a chance of actually using existing resources more effectively. Put a wall up around cities and towns, fine, but it's foolish to do it in vast stretches of empty desert that's where you need the sensors and BP mobile BP stations.

In short, you can't have everything you want. Concentrate on what is possible and feasible

Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 AM

73,259 posts, read 63,157,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The wall is a fetish. It's like a child's blanket, they feel they need it to feel safe when that's not really the case. If we enforced the law, something the nativists crow about 24/7,why do we need a wall? It's a feel good measure to.mske them sleep soundly at night, that's my opinion. You don't need a wall when you have ICE and BP doing their job, and they're doing it now. Also enlisting state police (I don't trust the municipal cops and the sheriff's) to help and be charged with making immigration arrests will do A LOT MORE than a wall
It basically is. Trump would say anything to appeal to certain people. He did it to get elected. He knew there were those who are afraid of foreigners and took advantage of that.

We can enforce the laws. It's a question is doing this more rigorously.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,470,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Why wouldn't we rely on 100% of Texas' members of congress, the state with the LONGEST border with Mexico?

Oh...and 25 of the 38 TX congressional delegation are Republicans.
Texas has the longest U.S. border with Mexico. Zero of its 38 members of Congress support Trump's wall.
Louis Gomert does, so this is just more fake news from the lying liberal fake news media.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 AM

73,259 posts, read 63,157,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Louis Gomert does, so this is just more fake news from the lying liberal fake news media.
Louis Gomert is in the minority on this topic, so forget about it.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:39 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,470,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Louis Gomert is in the minority on this topic, so forget about it.
The OP claimed 100% of Texas congressmembers are against the wall.

He is wrong, and I pointed that out.

In other words, the article that told him that was lying liberal fake news.

Landsakes, we have lying liberal fake news being posted here by liberals every day it seems!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 AM

63,510 posts, read 29,567,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That was going to cost a hell of a lot more than what you think. You need e-verify, ICE, and BP doing their job. An electronic "wall" is better than the monstrosity that Trump and you want. Build a fence if anything, but that wall Trump keeps talking about, it's not going to cost $25 billion. It's going to cost more, and probably be never complete if it ever does get built. You gave much more of a chance of actually using existing resources more effectively. Put a wall up around cities and towns, fine, but it's foolish to do it in vast stretches of empty desert that's where you need the sensors and BP mobile BP stations.

In short, you can't have everything you want. Concentrate on what is possible and feasible

Your opinion means nothing. I have always been an advocate of e-verify and ICE and the BP to be able to do their jobs but it's not enough. What monstrosity of a wall? Trump said that parts of it would be wall and parts of it would be fencing. It's what we have in place already on some parts of the border. It can also include sensors and BP mobile stations. All we need is the 700 mile long wall completed on the most porous areas of our border which congress already approved back in 2006. No matter what that wall would cost it can't equal the $113 billion that illegals cost us "every single year" and will continue to rise with more of them getting in here.

Criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for jobs, thus another reason for the wall. And unless we remove all of the incentives for illegal aliens to come here such as benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids e-verify won't work on it's own either.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 AM

63,510 posts, read 29,567,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not at all. And I have stated I am not for illegal immigration. The question comes down to how to deal with it. And when ones makes the argument about an expensive wall paying for itself base on a bs study then we'll I will call bs. I want grown up answers not knee jerk childish answers.

Besides, what senese does it make spending the money on the wall and defunding the coast guard. That is playing whack a mole

The wall isn't expensive when you consider how much illegal aliens costs us. It's only a BS study in your own mind. I have many other links I could post in here denoting what illegals cost but I doubt you'd accept or believe them either so what's the point?

Where we have good walls on the border they have been proven to work so how is building more like those a knee jerk childish answer?

There is fat that can be trimmed in every agency that we have. Why would you automatically assume that cutting some of the funds to the Coast Guard would put us at a security risk?

Walls are a deterrent and in the case of illegal aliens these good walls force them to try and enter through much more difficult and dangerous areas and the BP can take care of those areas. Fewer will try to cross and that's the idea.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,547,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Seriously though, did you even read the article? The story content contradicts the story title entirely. You don't have to believe me - just read it for yourself.
As you said, the original article is nothing like The Week's headline and sloppy synopsis.

Texas has the longest U.S. border with Mexico. Zero of its 38 members of Congress support Trump's wall.

Nobody expects the wall to cover every inch or mile of the border. Trump's budget calls for more border patrol agents, ICE personnel, prosecutors, and funds for deportation and E-Verify. If he gets what he's asking for, a very good move against illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies