Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,004,028 times

Advertisements

Has anyone actually seen more than one family of 5+ kids, NOT on YouTube, and they were on welfare? I haven't seen any, and that seems to be a stereotype perpetuated by Reagan in the 80s that hasn't died down. If you disagree, then let us know

Adding to that, I've never seen anyone with EBT buy lobster tail or king crab on food stamps. Anyone else also seen that? Allegedly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 PM

19,781 posts, read 12,345,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Has anyone actually seen more than one family of 5+ kids, NOT on YouTube, and they were on welfare? I haven't seen any, and that seems to be a stereotype perpetuated by Reagan in the 80s that hasn't died down. If you disagree, then let us know

Adding to that, I've never seen anyone with EBT buy lobster tail or king crab on food stamps. Anyone else also seen that? Allegedly

I've seen them buy a lot of junk food, that is the honest truth.

Getting pregnant is the easiest way to get benefits. Since they are being cut for everyone else I would not be surprised to see higher pregnancy rates in poor single women to come. If planned parenthood is defunded and abortion rights lost there will be many more of these.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:01 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times
Yes I've seen it. I say that as someone that supports assistance programs for the poor. People will abuse everything.

People will drive drunk. That isn't a reason to end cars. If someone wants to come up with viable ways to address abuse, I'm not against listening.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,442,575 times
I don't go where they hang out.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,565,998 times
My wife was a caseworker for impoverished, mostly black, women for a number of years. Some of them didn't understand how they kept getting pregnant. Yes, it's true, they didn't understand the birds and the bees.

I would garner it would not take long to figure out that any benefit you receive for any child you have, does not exceed the financial and time burden that comes with a child. That only gets worse with more children.

I believe we as a society need to decide how important it is to limit the spread of poverty. I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if sex education, and contraception were easier to access.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,506,635 times
Yes, they are out there with their broods. I've also seen the spooky women hiding behind their burkas and hijabs.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:43 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,580,106 times
I've seen the white middle/working class husbands and wives who are shooting up smack and dying with four or five kids. Those stories keep rolling in. Is that a welfare queen?

Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,534,690 times
Where I live I see mothers with multiple children of varying ages, usually Mexican, using food aid cards in my grocery store. I'm sometimes surprised just how young these women are, already with so many mouths to feed. I rarely if ever see them buying junk food, however. Our store is pretty far from the low income housing that they walk from and I understand how difficult it is to keep fresh healthy food in the house when it's such a production to get it.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,004,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I've seen the white middle/working class husbands and wives who are shooting up smack and dying with four or five kids. Those stories keep rolling in. Is that a welfare queen?
Nah when a right winger talks about welfare queens, they're always referring to a Mexican or black woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
My wife was a caseworker for impoverished, mostly black, women for a number of years. Some of them didn't understand how they kept getting pregnant. Yes, it's true, they didn't understand the birds and the bees.

I would garner it would not take long to figure out that any benefit you receive for any child you have, does not exceed the financial and time burden that comes with a child. That only gets worse with more children.

I believe we as a society need to decide how important it is to limit the spread of poverty. I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if sex education, and contraception were easier to access.
Question is, how is this true anymore? Honestly I go to Walmart, and I don't see any black or Mexican mom with 5 kids behind them. Yet that stereotype still exists on CD for some reason

Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM

40,998 posts, read 49,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Question is, how is this true anymore? Honestly I go to Walmart, and I don't see any black or Mexican mom with 5 kids behind them. Yet that stereotype still exists on CD for some reason
Those kids are either left at home or sitting in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies