Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,154,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I knew a girl who appeared as an upper class white to a stranger in a store. Nails done, hair done regularly, facials, nice clothes, actually a pretty white girl, she had kids to different daddy's. .
This is my complaint. I was behind a lady at the grocery the other day. Only 3 kids in tow, large cart of food, pulled out her card. But was happily discussing her new tattoo with her friend that was with her. Those are not cheap..... Priorities people! Priorities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 01:30 PM

526 posts, read 387,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Has anyone actually seen more than one family of 5+ kids, NOT on YouTube, and they were on welfare? I haven't seen any, and that seems to be a stereotype perpetuated by Reagan in the 80s that hasn't died down. If you disagree, then let us know

Adding to that, I've never seen anyone with EBT buy lobster tail or king crab on food stamps. Anyone else also seen that? Allegedly

Where do you live?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM

89,377 posts, read 45,100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
My wife was a caseworker for impoverished, mostly black, women for a number of years. Some of them didn't understand how they kept getting pregnant. Yes, it's true, they didn't understand the birds and the bees.

I would garner it would not take long to figure out that any benefit you receive for any child you have, does not exceed the financial and time burden that comes with a child. That only gets worse with more children.

I believe we as a society need to decide how important it is to limit the spread of poverty. I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if sex education, and contraception were easier to access.
That doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it, and here's one of the reasons why...

Fully 1/3 of the respondents in this study believe that the government pushes free birth control as a means of deliberately limiting the size of minority populations. They view the government pushing birth control on them as racism:

Although Most Unmarried Young Adults Want to Avoid Pregnancy, Many Don't Use Contraception

Where in the hell are they getting that idea?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,008,899 times
Oh boy you need to come to Portsmouth Ohio once a manufacturing Mecca now the welfare state it has become.I went to the Kroger's downtown and the man in front tried to pay for some dog food on his WIC card the cashier told him he could not do that so he said give me a minute.He came back with 5 pounds of ground chuck replied my dog won't know the difference! WOW I was ready to blow up my blood presser rose and the bologna I had nuked in my hand.
I know of generations of families who live in public housing in Wayne Hills and the Ville never getting out of the cycle of government assistance and creating more of the same.
You must live in a bubble or are just too young to know things here were much better in the late 50's early 60's till Johnson's war on poverty caused US all to become poor!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,511,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean they'll use it, and here's one of the reasons why...

Fully 1/3 of the respondents in this study believe that the government pushes free birth control as a means of deliberately limiting the size of minority populations. They view the government pushing birth control on them as racism:

Although Most Unmarried Young Adults Want to Avoid Pregnancy, Many Don't Use Contraception

Probably the Republican Convention platform in that it's a Democrat plot to limit their numbers. A Ben Carson position paper!

Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM

36,790 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This is my complaint. I was behind a lady at the grocery the other day. Only 3 kids in tow, large cart of food, pulled out her card. But was happily discussing her new tattoo with her friend that was with her. Those are not cheap..... Priorities people! Priorities!
I have seen that too.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:56 PM

89,377 posts, read 45,100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL was on Welfare decades ago. Four children (set of twins) all under the age of 6. Birth Control? How was she supposed to know that her legally wedded, financially stable husband was going to abandon her and HIS children?

Do you think it will never happen with a ring on her finger?
Here's a tip... You don't start cranking out the babies until you have a rock solid reason to believe that hubby will be able to pay adequate alimony and child support if he leaves. In cases of hubby's premature death, you don't start cranking out the babies until there's a sizeable life insurance policy in place.

Financial literacy. It matters.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,883,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It's almost welfare weekend, which I dread! Got to get my shopping done. With the influx of illegal aliens, the poverty rate in my city is 25%! I see them with 4, 5 or more kids, some of the WIC coupon also along with their EBT. They can shop and then go home to their Section 8 government housing, one anchor gets the whole family in!

We have citizens doing the same thing, although many of them do go ahead and get free job training, this is a good thing as many are interested in jobs like nursing assistants for senior care a growing need.

And, yes, they go through the food stamps quickly, and by the 15th of the month, there are lines at all the charity warehouses, for cash, many just take what isn't theirs especially if they need drug money.

Now, these are the people that don't work, the mother just has the "father" stop by, and he doesn't live there. The favorites are frozen pizza, those sugary frozen colored treats, soda, chips, sweetened cereal and deli - they can buy a cold pre-made sandwich or a cold fried, baked or roasted chicken - just not a hot one - says on the label which they can purchase.

The working poor are different when they shop. I have watched many of them. They are buying canned vegetables, rice, dry beans, oatmeal and ground beef, not much meat at all. They are shopping for the month and they will make it without charity and that is a good thing because those that have a job usually can't get to the charitable agencies.

I have a friend that worked at a small market. She said a man came in with a WIC coupon and wanted to get Kraft sandwich cheese, she told him he would have to get the store brand per the coupon, he threw it at her (older woman) and said "So, we can't have the good stuff like you eat." She wasn't eating the good stuff, she was working full-time and then part-time in the evening to pay off hospital bills that her husband had incurred before he passed away.

Got to get people off their butts and out of the baby business, removing illegal aliens will be a blessing in this area!
I used to be cashier close to a public housing project in Denver and many of the people would have between $600-$800 monthly for free food of their choice.

Usually, the women would come in and buy expensive steak, artisan cakes and top of the line frozen treats for the queen and her king who was likely a parolee.

Then there of course would be a boxes of cheap ramen noodles, generic chips, cookies, cereal for their kids.

They tend to get between 6 and 8 cans of expensive formula that is $20 or more and then they get to choose the best baby food for their WIC allocation. Usually the WIC allocations were about $200 on top of the food-stamps.

It is basically a career for millions, millions and millions of people to just sit in section 8 housing and have have the largest families they possible to can.

We also had a disabled bagger who struggled every day and came to work with the biggest smile and many times these disrespectful welfare queens and kings would talk down to her and also drive crazily in their huge SUV's and almost run her over the parking lot.

It is amazing stunning how basically in many cities these days, being a welfare queen or king with multiple kids basically equal to a $100,000 job.

I thought the bankruptcies in welfare queen cities like San Bernadino, Stockton and Detroit was beautiful thing because the cities. thought they just to be a city of welfare-queen baby factories.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,861,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Wanted to note that I have known and still know quite a few people who believe the above who are black. They feel that birth control is a way to sterilize them similar to what governments did in the past.

I personally have also always been hesitant in using hormonal birth control some the same and some different reasons.

FWIW there have been initiatives put into place and especially in regards to Norplant in the 1990s (I remember this) that was pushed to young minority single parents to deliberately reduce their reproductive capacity. Some of the teen moms I went to school with suffered from infertility as a result of Norplant and Depo-Provera that was pushed to them by the welfare office after they became teen moms in the 90s.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:00 PM

36,790 posts, read 31,062,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I was in a store once behind a lady with 3 kids using food stamps to buy what looked like a cart load of junk food. The man behind me started making noises the instant he saw her TANF card. (food stamps)

Little pouches of cocktail sausages, generic lunchable things, crackers, etc. Finally, he said, "If we gotta pay for it, the least you could do is buy some real food."

She, meek as a mouse and turning bright red, turned halfway to face him and said, "Sir, I don't have a stove or fridge."

There will always be cheats and people taking advantage, but the majority of people have no clue what it's like to be that poor and worry about what you're going to eat. There are much worse and stupider things that our tax money goes to.
I've never understood why people care what food others buy. Everyone has X amount to spend on food to last X amount of days. If you want to eat steak and lobster for 3 days and go hungry the rest or eat crackers and spam, or apples and oranges, I dont care.

I have a kind of friend that has been homeless and on food stamps. He lives in a camper now but has no electricity so he buys that kind of stuff. I picked him up one day and took him to the store. He bought 4 boxes of honey buns and some tuna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies